Step 2/2 Installing - Update failed - Bricked?

Search This thread

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
Hi there!

I tried to update firmwmare with lots of different ROM's (B135,B136,B162,B517,B522) but always getting "Update failed" at Step 2/2 - Installing.

Is this phone bricked?

I cannot access internal card. :(

Any ideas before i threw it away?

Update: On sdcard i am getting error in file: sd_update.log

notes: (dld_file_ptr != -1) !
dload_sd_file_data_proc-(dld_retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Last edited:

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
Try mounting internal throught ubuntu in pink screen. Then Put b138 there, remove anything else from internal. Then remove battery from phone and put it to charger. Then start update. If it fails, start it again. After that go to recovery and do factory reset.

Sorry for my english. Im in a bit hurry.

from my Desire HD using XDA App

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
I do have pink screen and blue screen. I tried to mount internal with vmware ubuntu. But cannot mount it. It doesn't show up at all :( Don't know how to mount it.
Any ideas or help would be appreciate! Thanks guys!

Maksimitoisto

Oct 18, 2011
update the original version you had before custom roms. update without battery. plugin power cord.

Sent from my u8800 using XDA App

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
I do have pink screen and blue screen. I tried to mount internal with vmware ubuntu. But cannot mount it. It doesn't show up at all :( Don't know how to mount it.

In development section, blefish has tutorial to get usb in pink screen back.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Reactions: rynaaz

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
Try mounting internal throught ubuntu in pink screen. Then Put b138 there, remove anything else from internal. Then remove battery from phone and put it to charger. Then start update. If it fails, start it again. After that go to recovery and do factory reset.

Sorry for my english. Im in a bit hurry.

from my Desire HD using XDA App

How to find device to mount? dmesg show me nothing.
Any help would be helpful :)

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
root@xxx:/home/xxx# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 12d1:1035 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I can see device with "lsusb" but cannot mount it :(
Anyone?

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011

Thanks julle!
But seems to me that you don't understand the problem.
Here are the steps from blefish:

1 Download update-B518-bootloader.zip from MediaFire.
2 Save it to the root of your SD Card.
3 Start the phone in recovery mode (recommended recovery is 5.5.0.4)
4 Select "install zip from sdcard"
5 Select "chooze zip from sdcard"
6 Select the zip you downloaded before.
7 Select yes.

I am already STUCKED in step 3. Because i do not get to RECOVERY MODE!!!
I am having only PINK screen (VOL +, VOL -, power button) and BLUE screen (VOL +, power button). That's it!
And CANNOT access to internal card on Windows neither on Linux Ubuntu. :(

Last edited:

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
Guess Huawei officials has USB drivers to access internal card on Windows or Linux but they don't share them with us :(
I have android_winusb.inf driver but cannot install it and recognize device in pink or blue screen mode :(

Last edited:

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
I am already STUCKED in step 3. Because i do not get to RECOVERY MODE!!!
I am having only PINK screen (VOL +, VOL -, power button) and BLUE screen (VOL +, power button). That's it!
And CANNOT access to internal card on Windows neither on Linux Ubuntu. :(

I got the blue screen when I accidently forgot to put boot.img back in its place on the image partition.

My hypothesis is, based on that, the first UPDATE.APP (the smaller one) changes the partition layout (which would delete all the files), while the larger UPDATE_G.APP starts installing all the files: /system but - more importantly - the image partition where boot.img, AMSS.mbn and recovery.img are stored. If the update did not take, then they won't be there and the bootloader can't start them up. In my case, I was able to mount the image partition in Linux and put the boot.img back. Hopefully I'm talking out of my ass. :\

Ah! I was able to mount the partition in Linux because I'm using the B512 bootloader; you must have the B540 bootloader (or whatever is its equivalent for the U8800). I guess Huawei's laissez faire attitude towards rooting (you could browse / from the computer!) is going away now that they're moving into the big time (deals with AT&T, the Honor etc.). I don't know how you can downgrade if you can't boot to something like recovery. :(

Guess Huawei officials has USB drivers to access internal card on Windows or Linux but they don't share them with us :(
I have android_winusb.inf driver but cannot install it and recognize device in pink or blue screen mode :(

Actually, these work: http://www.mediafire.com/?j33yo9wy9bspm86

But you can't ADB from the bootloader (or use them to mount a partition); it's for running Qualcomm QPST (though I couldn't figure out how to get it working).

Last edited:

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
Sorry, but im running out of ideas. It seems you have bootloader locked, and without recovery we cant unlock it... what happens if you install official 2.2 and after error try to install it again? We must get the bootloader unlocked.

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
Sorry, but im running out of ideas. It seems you have bootloader locked, and without recovery we cant unlock it... what happens if you install official 2.2 and after error try to install it again? We must get the bootloader unlocked.

You are making me laugh :))
I cannot install NOTHING!!! :) That's the main problem :)

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
I got the blue screen when I accidently forgot to put boot.img back in its place on the image partition.

My hypothesis is, based on that, the first UPDATE.APP (the smaller one) changes the partition layout (which would delete all the files), while the larger UPDATE_G.APP starts installing all the files: /system but - more importantly - the image partition where boot.img, AMSS.mbn and recovery.img are stored. If the update did not take, then they won't be there and the bootloader can't start them up. In my case, I was able to mount the image partition in Linux and put the boot.img back. Hopefully I'm talking out of my ass. :\

Ah! I was able to mount the partition in Linux because I'm using the B512 bootloader; you must have the B540 bootloader (or whatever is its equivalent for the U8800). I guess Huawei's laissez faire attitude towards rooting (you could browse / from the computer!) is going away now that they're moving into the big time (deals with AT&T, the Honor etc.). I don't know how you can downgrade if you can't boot to something like recovery. :(

Actually, these work: http://www.mediafire.com/?j33yo9wy9bspm86

But you can't ADB from the bootloader (or use them to mount a partition); it's for running Qualcomm QPST (though I couldn't figure out how to get it working).

You are right!
So the device should be bricked now? I cannot give back to warranty 'cause i already did it once :) If i send also this one they will laugh at me and of course they will not give me another phone :)

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
But after i installed those drivers you've attached i am getting no more exclamation mark in Device manager. hmmm. Please look at attached pic. What now?
Is there a chance to getting to device through hyperterm or something?

Attachments

• u8800.png
    u8800.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 304

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
But after i installed those drivers you've attached i am getting no more exclamation mark in Device manager. hmmm. Please look at attached pic. What now?
Is there a chance to getting to device through hyperterm or something?

Actually, I haven't tried HyperTerminal on the COM ports/modem - maybe it could, somehow, let you do something? Changing the USB mode would be great...

If you do figure out QPST, you'll need the firmware in a form it can understand - maybe you'd have to get another device to dump its firmware...

Regarding warranty: Couldn't you make the case that it was an official firmware update that caused your phone to brick? :)

Last edited:

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
You are making me laugh :))
I cannot install NOTHING!!! :) That's the main problem :)

I am bad in english, so it might be the problem cant express my self right. I know it fails, but run it again after the fail. I am hoping it unlocks bootloader. Then you can access the phones whole memory from ubuntu.

Someone, if you understand this sh*t im writing, please translate it to real english:D

mesnati

Jun 13, 2011
I am bad in english, so it might be the problem cant express my self right. I know it fails, but run it again after the fail. I am hoping it unlocks bootloader. Then you can access the phones whole memory from ubuntu.

Someone, if you understand this sh*t im writing, please translate it to real english:D

Your english is ok ;) I tried 100 times after it fails and every time same error appears :) "Update failed" :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.