Sprint data throttling

Search This thread

kp20kp

Sep 27, 2013
Okay so guy i have a boost mobile galaxy s3 and of course sprint is the parent company. Recently they started throttling speeds again after the 2.5gb data cap was reached and now my speeds are 0.15Mbps down which is really bad. I want to know if there is a way to get around being throttled. And if this is against the rules then im sorry for asking but i dont know.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
Okay so guy i have a boost mobile galaxy s3 and of course sprint is the parent company. Recently they started throttling speeds again after the 2.5gb data cap was reached and now my speeds are 0.15Mbps down which is really bad. I want to know if there is a way to get around being throttled. And if this is against the rules then im sorry for asking but i dont know.

Not sure if its against XDA rules. A moderator will lock this thread if it is. I don't believe there is a way, because throttling is done on a per account basis.

sent from my Gs3

kp20kp

Sep 27, 2013
Not sure if its against XDA rules. A moderator will lock this thread if it is. I don't believe there is a way, because throttling is done on a per account basis.

sent from my Gs3

I read about something where you can delete a throttling folder thats in the system files of the phone. It tracks how much data you used on your phone but it didnt work. I think because i had already reached my cap but i really dont know. Im just looking for another way

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
I read about something where you can delete a throttling folder thats in the system files of the phone. It tracks how much data you used on your phone but it didnt work. I think because i had already reached my cap but i really dont know. Im just looking for another way

I don't believe its possible, I'm sure Sprint's servers automatically throttle your phone once it reaches 2.5gbs.

sent from my Gs3

kp20kp

Sep 27, 2013
Yea maybe so. Its just so annoying

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

jim1450

Mar 13, 2014
I got a text today saying in May Boost will throttle to 2G instead of 3G, 2G is basically useless to me so I'll be switching to a new provider @ that point

kp20kp

Sep 27, 2013
What!! You cant be serious...i havent got that text message......"yet"

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
I found this on the Android forums for the S2-http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=664780

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
Seems hard to believe Boost / Sprint doesn't keep track of data on their end, rather than on the phone.

I'm almost 100% sure their servers are programmed to throtttle data on any Boost acct. that reaches 2.5gbs, and to me, they kinda should. Why should I have to pay full Sprint price, where as Boost customers pay about half? Folks in that thread pretty much said that fix was useless.

Last edited:

cyberone3

Dec 8, 2008
for someone reason my gs3 used 2.5g in about a week boost not only throttled me but the speed is unusable i'm only getting between 7 and 30 k max thats not throttling the crippling data speeds

allrockedout

Mar 31, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus 9
for someone reason my gs3 used 2.5g in about a week boost not only throttled me but the speed is unusable i'm only getting between 7 and 30 k max thats not throttling the crippling data speeds

Yeah I thought boosts or sprints throttle was 256kbps but now I've realized its 30kbps on at&t it was 60kbps. Think the only other cheap option is metro PCs. 60$ gets you unlimited but who knows if its really unlimited.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app