How I can do to dump NBH format HTC official sapphire rom?

Search This thread

cmf

Hello Liang.

I can tell you how to make Nandroid backup of your Magic/Sapphire. I am not sure what NBH backup means so maybe it's not what you want, but it is definitely what we want. Please could you do the Nandroid backup for us? We have a cut-down HTC Magic here in England, with no Exchange ActiveSync and we really want the full HTC Asia version of the software.

This will not modify your phone or software in any way. It will just do a one-time boot with the special nandroid recovery menu where a backup can be done. Afterwards everything is back to normal.

Here's how to do a Nandroid backup:

Firstly, download fastboot.exe, or if you are on Linux, just fastboot. You can get fastboot from HTC's website, here's the link:
http://www.htc.com/www/support/android/adp.html#s2

Save fastboot.exe in just c:\ (the root/beginning of your C: disk).

You need to make sure the USB drivers for the HTC Magic are installed on your computer.

Then you need to download this file, unzip it, and save it to your phone's sdcard:
http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/recovery-new.img.zip
You must unzip the file, so that you have "recovery-new.img" on the SDCard.

Then, please turn off your HTC Magic, and hold down the Back button (arrow button next to the Search button), whilst turning the phone on.

This will enter Fastboot mode, and the phone should show "SAPPHIRE xxxxx FASTBOOT USB" and some other information.

From your computer, go to a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd [enter]), or just Start -> cmd [enter] if on vista.

Type: cd \ (that's CD, space, backslash) then [enter]. This changes your working directory to the root of the c: drive, where we have saved fastboot.exe.

Then type "fastboot devices" and make sure that fastboot on the computer can see your phone. Hopefully it will return a model or serial number of the HTC handset.

If so, please type "fastboot boot recovery-new.img".

This will start your phone up with the modified recovery image, which has Nandroid backup built into it. You should now see the recovery screen on the phone, with some menu options, including "Nandroid Backup".

Please choose to do a Nandroid backup from the menu on the phone. This will create a folder on the phone's sd-card called Nandroid, with some other folders inside, with backups of the system.

You can then choose restart from the Recovery screen and everything will be back to normal.

Please can you do this and send us the files? From your perspective it would be better if you wiped the phone (Factory reset on the phone, Under Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> Factory data reset) before doing this because we don't want your data. Or you could just do it, zip up the files and contact me and I will take your files, restore here, wipe data, then re-zip the files, so nobody will have your information. If you are not happy with that, you could just send us all the files except data.img. I'm sure that would be OK.

I can create a private FTP server for you to upload to if you want, or you can use rapidshare or similar.

My email is : carl @ css-networks.com , or you can send me a message on this forum.

Last edited:

wassss

Jun 11, 2006
Liang, anything ?
you're the unique person in the world who has this opportunity.

all people's waiting for you, you will become a big star !!!

YES YOU CAN

MontAlbert

Jan 10, 2007
if he doesn't do it be patient.... if possible.... it is being release in most places in a couple of weeks at worst (Australia getting it on June 15- we are getting HTC version thru 3 and Voda version thru voda...).....I will have a crack at it as soon as i have it- i want it rooted straight away but would prefer to still have aussie/Asian version....

Marko_1611

Mar 18, 2005
Any news Liang

Liang just wondering if you have managed to backup the rom

having a good exchange client is whats letting this device down right now

Z3ko

Jul 29, 2008
Weisswasser
You dont must be a root to Backup the Htc with Nandroid ;)

Follow this Steps to Backup your Htc:

1. Download my Backup.zip
1.1. Unzip the Folder on your Desktop
2. Install the USB Driver from Driver Folder
3. Turn off your Phone and press Power + Back
4. Open "Boot Modified Recovery.cmd"
5. and the Backup with Nandroid 2.1
6. Voila! Your Backup files are in sdcard/nandroid/

http://www.abload.de/img/pic32ae6.jpg

very easy i think :)
(sry for my english)

here is the Backup.zip :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FV9TZA8S

Joost39

Jun 27, 2005
Næstved
www.linkedin.com
You dont must be a root to Backup the Htc with Nandroid ;)

Follow this Steps to Backup your Htc:

1. Download my Backup.zip
1.1. Unzip the Folder on your Desktop
2. Install the USB Driver from Driver Folder
3. Turn off your Phone and press Power + Back
4. Open "Boot Modified Recovery.cmd"
5. and the Backup with Nandroid 2.1
6. Voila! Your Backup files are in sdcard/nandroid/

http://www.abload.de/img/pic32ae6.jpg

very easy i think :)
(sry for my english)

here is the Backup.zip :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FV9TZA8S

I don´t work on our bootloader 1.33.0009

jon0881

Apr 7, 2009
once its backed up can you extract the exchange and document reader apps from it to load onto the Voda ROM?

tactmayers

Jun 5, 2009
Hi, I'm new to this forum and also a new owner of HTC Magic in HK.

I've tried cmf's instruction to fastboot with recovery-new.img. However, the screen seems just stay on the "HTC MAGIC" logo and looks like it's hanged... And I've no way to power it off except pulling the battery...

So is there any more thing I can do to help? As long as I don't need to flash until I can get a safe flash backup, I can still try them out (Well, I'm still afraid of bricking my first smartphone...)

hkfriends

Aug 24, 2007
yes, same here in HK HTC Magic, after sending the recovery-new.img, the phone is re-booting with hanged in HTC magic logo

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBBO-1.33 0009 (SAPP10000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
May 8 2009,21:02:32

tactmayers

Jun 5, 2009
I found that it is possible to execute files inside the /sqlite_stmt_journals directory. So I'm thinking... If we can copy the su command to /sqlite_stmt_journals and execute it there, then we can gain root access?
But I don't know where to get su from... I can't find the file inside the phone...
Anybody can share some insight on this?

cmf

I found that it is possible to execute files inside the /sqlite_stmt_journals directory. So I'm thinking... If we can copy the su command to /sqlite_stmt_journals and execute it there, then we can gain root access?
But I don't know where to get su from... I can't find the file inside the phone...
Anybody can share some insight on this?

You could try copying /bin/sh to su, if the phone is using something like busybox (a multi-call binary), then the one program acts differently if it's called a different name, if you see what I mean.

Really it would be good if somebody who understood the Android stuff, like Haykuro, could explain maybe why the recovery-new.img hangs, and how a working recovery-new.img should be made that can be started via fastboot.