Screen brightness shortcut missing on SGS3. Here is an alternative

Search This thread

DroidGnome

Jul 3, 2010
That display brightness file from the Google play store has one important flaw that I've noticed.... It overrides ALL other brightness settings.

In fact it appears this overrides even the built in android display brightness slider found in settings... I can change the APK's slider, to say 100%, and go back into settings and it shows only 30%.

To further compound the problem, I use Settings Profile to change settings , including brightness , depending on my location. It adjusts the 'system' setting, which is being overwritten, so in effect nothing happens.

I've confirmed that Settings Profile and Widgetsoid both no longer have any effect on brightness with this app installed.

While I love the apps implementation of it's slider, it really needs to hook into the systems brightness setting, and not override it completly.

Reactions: Wizend and cts

blue265

Jan 31, 2011
Toronto
I don't mind it overriding on my end either. Even when watching a video I just use that to change brightness. So much easier than the extra steps in settings.

Maybe email the dev to see about an option to not override ? Not sure if it would be possible or not.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

blue265

Jan 31, 2011
Toronto
Looks like the dev for this app has an update now. You can turn on 1 second delay. I turned it on and like it even better now. I found there were times I would touch the brightness slider by accident and it would change the brightness. Now you can set it for the delay, then touch the slider for one second and move accordingly. No more accidental touches which is really nice.

bjtheone

Sep 3, 2009
Kanata

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
One thing I definitely miss on SGS3 coming from SGS1 and SGS2 was the ability to change the brightness setting from from the top of the notification bar. You were able to slide your finger left to right and be able to change the screen brightness.

I found an app called Display brightness that can do something similar and thought I'd share as I am sure a few of you might also miss the old feature. You can set a screen brightness slider anywhere on the screen and change its transparency. It works a treat to be able to change brightness quickly and efficiently.

Here is the link on Google Play if you want to check it out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rubberbigpepper.DisplayBrightness

Been using this ever since you posted about it.
I've got it set to take up the whole left side of my screen.
And set it to be invisible as well as thin.
Works freakin amazingly well.
Best app I've ever installed. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One thing I definitely miss on SGS3 coming from SGS1 and SGS2 was the ability to change the brightness setting from from the top of the notification bar. You were able to slide your finger left to right and be able to change the screen brightness.

I found an app called Display brightness that can do something similar and thought I'd share as I am sure a few of you might also miss the old feature. You can set a screen brightness slider anywhere on the screen and change its transparency. It works a treat to be able to change brightness quickly and efficiently.

Here is the link on Google Play if you want to check it out

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rubberbigpepper.DisplayBrightness
    That display brightness file from the Google play store has one important flaw that I've noticed.... It overrides ALL other brightness settings.

In fact it appears this overrides even the built in android display brightness slider found in settings... I can change the APK's slider, to say 100%, and go back into settings and it shows only 30%.

To further compound the problem, I use Settings Profile to change settings , including brightness , depending on my location. It adjusts the 'system' setting, which is being overwritten, so in effect nothing happens.

I've confirmed that Settings Profile and Widgetsoid both no longer have any effect on brightness with this app installed.

While I love the apps implementation of it's slider, it really needs to hook into the systems brightness setting, and not override it completly.
    Holy crap that is awesome! Works on AT&T gs3. Thank you so much for pointing this out. Have to play with where I want it tho because it can interfere with the keyboard

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app