No GPS without data.

Search This thread

dellhem

Oct 29, 2013
Oslo
Hi.

I'm overall satisfied with my Xperia Z1 but there's one problem that I find very annoying.
Whenever I'm travelling and not roaming, the GPS won't work. Why is this? GPS shouldn't need to use regular data.

I use cached maps in Google Maps.

Thanks // Patrik

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
It do not need network. It can have support via network but is not the main function. If you keep moving the GPS gets even 10 minutes to find the satellite. Turn on GPS, turn on Airmode, go out from building leave the phone for 1o minutes to find the signal.

BTW, the Maps or Navigation in Android working with Network, are you sure you get the right application? Use Offline Navigators.

Last edited:

dellhem

Oct 29, 2013
Oslo
It do not need network. It can have support via network but is not the main function. If you keep moving the GPS gets even 10 minutes to find the satellite. Turn on GPS, turn on Airmode, go out from building leave the phone for 1o minutes to find the signal.

BTW, the Maps or Navigation in Android working with Network, are you sure you get the right application? Use Offline Navigators.

What is airmode?
I was in London last weekend and the GPS was completely useless. I was of course outside and walking around.

I don't see why an offline navigator would make a difference from cached maps in Google Maps. Could you please elaborate your statement?

Daelyn

Dec 17, 2006
Something called GPS Assistance Data is downloaded at regular intervals. It contains positioning data for the satellites. If that data is too old, I'm unsure if it's outdated daily or weekly, it will take the phone a long time to get a fix on the satellites.

Download a free app called "GPS Status" to test the behavior. In that app you can also reset GPS and download a fresh Assistance Data set.

Google a bit about A-GPS and you'll find tonnes of info.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

zimbashka

Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
You might want to check if GPS functions normally through service test menu.
in dialer press *#*#7378423#*#*
Service Tests -->GPS-->GPS Location Test
If you get readings on your location and time it took then your phone is fine.
Then check out settings-->Location services--> Enable GPS satellites.
it might have been accidentally disabled by stamina mode or by user.

Last edited:

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Something called GPS Assistance Data is downloaded at regular intervals. It contains positioning data for the satellites. If that data is too old, I'm unsure if it's outdated daily or weekly, it will take the phone a long time to get a fix on the satellites.
You are right, but this is not the issue, like I said it will just get more time to get the satellite but actually I don't think he was out of date because he has connected to network days before and in London to via WiFi for sure, Right?

Download a free app called "GPS Status" to test the behavior. In that app you can also reset GPS and download a fresh Assistance Data set.

I don't think this will make a difference but give it a try.

Sorry, my bad, I mean Airplane Mode. :D

I was in London last weekend and the GPS was completely useless. I was of course outside and walking around.
This explain all, in London with the density of buildings and people the GPS have always problems! ;)

I don't see why an offline navigator would make a difference from cached maps in Google Maps. Could you please elaborate your statement?

Google Maps most of the time use network for your position and when there is no network it just cant get the signals and positions, Tom Tom use GPS only, for example.

Reactions: dellhem

dellhem

Oct 29, 2013
Oslo

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
As mentioned I was connected the same day via WiFi but I'll check it out. Thanks.

You might want to check if GPS functions normally through service test menu.
in dialer press *#*#7378423*#*#
Service Tests -->GPS-->GPS Location Test
If you get readings on your location and time it took then your phone is fine.
Then check out settings-->Location services--> Enable GPS satellites.
it might have been accidentally disabled by stamina mode or by user.
Don't think there's a problem with the GPS but that code doesn't work: "Invalid MMI code"

You are right, but this is not the issue, like I said it will just get more time to get the satellite but actually I don't think he was out of date because he has connected to network days before and in London to via WiFi for sure, Right?
Right.

Ok, so then you also meant "turn off"? =)

This explain all, in London with the density of buildings and people the GPS have always problems! ;)
Yeah sure. But is this a big problem in all big cities? I remember I had the same problem in Paris as well.

Google Maps most of the time use network for your position and when there is no network it just cant get the signals and positions, Tom Tom use GPS only, for example.
Ok. I don't really understand how positioning works just through the internet though. Sure, trianglulation, but that's through the cell receivers which I'm connected to all the time. How can the phone know where I am just by being connected to the internet via WiFi?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Ok, so then you also meant "turn off"? =)

:D

Yeah sure. But is this a big problem in all big cities? I remember I had the same problem in Paris as well.

I know, it should not have this problems but actually it does. I remember I had to wait more than 10 minutes to get the signal.

Ok. I don't really understand how positioning works just through the internet though. Sure, trianglulation, but that's through the cell receivers which I'm connected to all the time. How can the phone know where I am just by being connected to the internet via WiFi?

I know but actually I know this problem from long time, in fact when you buy or download a Navigation you always have to check if it's working Offline or Online. Difference is that, Offline Navigation use downloaded maps, Online use maps from Network and this make huge difference and when you are without Network it not working. Maybe today is different but I remember it was like that. Download a simply GPS Tester to check if you get the satellite, if it does then is not the problem of you GPS but of the Application. Then I recommend to use the Offline Neavigators for GPS Only.

gandalf_grey91

Dec 16, 2011

No, it doesn't explain it and No, there isn't always a problem with GPS. Where did you get that from?

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

My Z1 has similarly bad GPS lock times but is under 20 seconds with "Use Wi-fi and data network" enabled to provide additional info. Google seems to have something to do to this because to enable the setting you must agree to them stealing further info about your habits.

My 3 year old HTC gets lock in under 20 seconds with no GLONASS and without "Use Wi-fi and data network" enabled.

bimjunk

Sep 11, 2008
From services mode delete the assisted gps data and it will download new ones when u a connected to wifi or mobile data...after that even if u are not connected to network u should get a lock pretty faat...but this data expires pretty soon cuz sat positions keep changing... :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I don't think this will make a difference but give it a try.