Modified RC30 - full version

Search This thread

mr_roboto

Nov 18, 2008
Well I got it sucessfully updated after a night with playing with it. Oh and for some reason my uptime under status says 339211:xx:xx! Anyone else have this?
edit: And now its 340953:xx:xx, this timer is the total time the phone has been on right?

Last edited:

20lives

Nov 17, 2008
to JesusFreke: i want to creat my own update.zip with other files in the system/font dir but when i flash it, the install fails.

how can i modify the updates.zip the right way ?

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
to JesusFreke: i want to creat my own update.zip with other files in the system/font dir but when i flash it, the install fails.

how can i modify the updates.zip the right way ?

If you want to modify update.zip, just make your change to the zip then run SignApk.jar from AndroidMod.zip on it. You'll need JDK or JRE installed. Syntax is:

Code:
> java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 update.zip update_signed.zip

If you just want to make changes to system folder of G1, connect it to your PC then use this command to remount it as readwrite (change to your android sdk folder if adb isn't in your PATH):

Code:
> adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Don't forget to remount it as ro when you're done.

20lives

Nov 17, 2008
If you want to modify update.zip, just make your change to the zip then run SignApk.jar from AndroidMod.zip on it. You'll need JDK or JRE installed. Syntax is:

Code:
> java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 update.zip update_signed.zip

If you just want to make changes to system folder of G1, connect it to your PC then use this command to remount it as readwrite (change to your android sdk folder if adb isn't in your PATH):

Code:
> adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Don't forget to remount it as ro when you're done.

this is great !!! working !!
thanks for the fast reply!!

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
Is there any real benefit to having root? I mean i know the Linux geeks love having full access to their devices, but for your normal run of the mill geek what are the benefits?

I am assuming there will be cooked Androids running around here soon. Is there any other reason for this other then running Linux apps?

I have a replacement G1 that is still using RC19 and I have been hitting update later for 3 days now. I guess i am just looking for a better answer then, we have have root and full permissions to all the files.

When i had my Wing i would change between all the cooked roms but never really got into making my own, being a lazy owner of the device is it worth me using JesusFreke's work when i know i will never end up developing my own hacks?

I guess im just confused if the normal user could benefit from using these hacks.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
is there a way to check what version of the modified RC30 i am running?

g1floch.png

SplasPood

Nov 1, 2008
I think the best reason I've found so far is: iptables based adhoc wifi tethering. I can get online from my laptop using 3G or Edge without having any cables or having to have specific software on the laptop. (of course if the device supported proper bluetooth profiles. . .)

Is there any real benefit to having root? I mean i know the Linux geeks love having full access to their devices, but for your normal run of the mill geek what are the benefits?

I am assuming there will be cooked Androids running around here soon. Is there any other reason for this other then running Linux apps?

I have a replacement G1 that is still using RC19 and I have been hitting update later for 3 days now. I guess i am just looking for a better answer then, we have have root and full permissions to all the files.

When i had my Wing i would change between all the cooked roms but never really got into making my own, being a lazy owner of the device is it worth me using JesusFreke's work when i know i will never end up developing my own hacks?

I guess im just confused if the normal user could benefit from using these hacks.

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
I think the best reason I've found so far is: iptables based adhoc wifi tethering. I can get online from my laptop using 3G or Edge without having any cables or having to have specific software on the laptop. (of course if the device supported proper bluetooth profiles. . .)

For someone who needs to have access for their laptops that is an awesome reason. But i don't have this need, is there anything else?

I am assuming people are working on releasing cooked roms for the G1, will we need to have this hack done to use those roms or are there people working on another hack?

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
Yes, if you dont have it, you miss out.

I hate to be left behind, so i root'd!

Anyone know whats on the horizon of being root'd? I read about someone replacing certain parts of Android to make a custom theme. But they said it was very difficult and dangerous. Any easy theme managers coming soon?

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
Lots of stuff is coming... Keep watching. I know multitouch, auto rotate and custom theming are all being worked on, but will be available only on rooted phones.

Those are some good reasons to root the phone! Can't wait for the themes and hopefully a tabbed drawer!

Hey i noticed last night when i plugged my phone into charge, the screen didn't blur out and show the percentage of the battery. does this have to do with the Modified version?

divinehawk

Nov 10, 2008
Just some feedback on the v1.2 of this image. It would be good to strip all of the binaries in xbin/. Not sure if the gains in space can be used elsewhere but I do not think that many of us will make use of the debugging symbols.

6.1M xbin-original
3.8M xbin-stripped

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a possibility, but I don't think it's in Google's general nature to do that: they were probably more concerned about closing the blatant console shell bug than they are about keeping us from getting root.
    In addition, if they pushed a test-key update, I think that would have to go to every G1 phone, and that may cause user inconvenience with phones that are using the normal release keys (ie, the phone restarting and failing on an update due to a bad key)... I guess we'll see.
    I suppose that the real solution would be to sign with a legitimate private key, but that opens another can of worms: Who holds the key? What happens if they disappear off the face of the earth? Etc.

Yeah I don't see a great solution but I was just wondering if my root access would disappear overnight :(