[Q] Restore Apps through CWM?

Search This thread
G

GuestK00208

Hey all,

So I just purchased Titanium Backup Pro and was wondering if it was possible to restore apps through CWM, or maybe have Titanium Backup as a root app, so that way when I boot up from a fresh wipe, I'll have all my apps available.

Dumb question time: after wiping and going through the first-time setup screen, when it asks you for your google account, should I uncheck the "restore from google account"? If I don't, it'll automatically start downloading all my apps from the market, thus defeating the purpose of Titanium Backup.

Thanks!

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
Not entirely a waste. See the root is what makes it amazing.

Lets say you have your inbox that had messages of personal keep, Wife? Gf? or possibly both LOL, those data are saved in root folders, TB Root version tends to back up all of this data, every single message from every person, when you reformat the tablet you obviously lose all your data, but TB Root can restore the data, this includes save games, or memo's, settings, alarm setups,contacts too.

You don't really need to uncheck as you can stop it by tapping the X when you open market to stop all the downloads in general, or just turn the Wifi off LOL.

Also you can't really boot with all apps after a fresh wipe, It's like going for surgery to remove a scar only to have it back again LOL. You will need to re-install TB from market (as all apps will be wiped too, since you purchased it it will just redownload it properly) then you can restore it. Normally it saves under sdcard/TitaniumBackup

As for apps via CWM, that's how they install apps with Custom ROM's but it's not advisable since most apps that get forced into system/app don't always get updated, you need something like market doctor in TB to relink it to market so it updates again.

G

GuestK00208

Thanks for the reply!

So what's your recommendation when re-starting after a fresh wipe? I hate waiting hours for all my apps to re-download from Market/Play, as I'm sure many others do, and I'm sure people have come up with far easier/quicker solutions. This is why I bought Titanium Backup, as I thought it was supposed to fix that problem.

Sorry for being a total n00b here.

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
That's the thing, after a wipe (Factory reset) you download TB from the market, it should already be there for you to download, as per the backup's are saved on your internal drive, as soon as you launch TB *Make sure the tablet is rooted after a wipe check as TB will mention it for you* after which you go to Menu->Batch->Restore "User apps and missing data" and it will show all the apps that you have installed, I would insist not to restore system apps as they would replace the system apps and you may get FC errors.

However when you are done restoring User apps, you can go to the restore tab, and tap on certain "System apps" these can be identified as apps with a red name/smiley, For example Tribuchet.apk is the launcher for ICS 10.1, if you tap it, and press "Restore Data Only" then it will restore the layout on how you had set up your desktop to be.

http://matrixrewriter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TB+-+User's+guide This guide is pretty nifty for TB user's who first start out.

PS: Make sure when you back up your stuff, that you backup both system and user apps, that way you can always be sure you didn't lose anything important