How do I get into recovery mode without a working home button?

Search This thread

bob7770699

Oct 26, 2010
The three button method doesnt work b/c my home button is dead. Is there anyway to enter recovery mode from a pc?

I have cwm installed, rooted, everything...stuck while booting up after I flashed a mod, can't enter recovery mode without home button

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
The three button method doesnt work b/c my home button is dead. Is there anyway to enter recovery mode from a pc?

I have cwm installed, rooted, everything...stuck while booting up after I flashed a mod, can't enter recovery mode without home button

Plugging into your computer and typing "adb reboot recovery" should work. Also, I think there are apps on the market that can reboot the phone to recovery.

Do you have the CWM manager app? That also has an option to reboot to recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Reactions: bryanfeanor

cdzo72

Plugging into your computer and typing "adb reboot recovery" should work. Also, I think there are apps on the market that can reboot the phone to recovery.

That works but I think you have to load the recovery into memory first...

I soft bricked an LG p506 about a month ago and while looking for a way to do the same thing I found the instructions, a quick google search should put you in the right direction

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
A sure thing is to boot to download mode with USB jig, then flash a completely new rom with Odin.

ctomgee

Dec 21, 2010
OP, I noticed you have a couple posts regarding being on AT&T's network. Are you sure you have an i9100, and not an AT&T variant, which is the SGH-I777? Or if you DO have an i9100, that you didn't flash a firmware meant for the SGH-I777? The most common reason I've seen for a non-functioning home button is flashing the wrong firmware.

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
That works but I think you have to load the recovery into memory first...

I soft bricked an LG p506 about a month ago and while looking for a way to do the same thing I found the instructions, a quick google search should put you in the right direction

There is no such thing as a "soft brick" , Your device is either bricked or it isnt. The term "brick" is used far too loosely nowadays.

D3_

Mar 9, 2010
London
In some custom roms you can have a "reboot to recovery" option in the power menu (when you press the home button for 2 seconds or so)
Or, you can download an android terminal emulator and type "reboot recovery" into it (after giving it superuser permissions by typing in "su").

Reactions: majexy033

bob7770699

Oct 26, 2010
yeah i have an i9100. The problem is i went swimming with it a couple weeks back, and the home button (and mic + earset) doesnt work anymore. I was running checkRom on it and was flashing a mod thru the kitchen app, and now when it boots it says phone has stopped working and won't let me get past that.

So i cant use any soft buttons to get into recovery. I cant use the three button method. and I've tried the adb reboot recovery, wont work.

bob7770699

Oct 26, 2010
I can get into download mode though, so is my only option is to flash a rom via odin and hope that fc gets fixed?

D3_

Mar 9, 2010
London
I've tried the adb reboot recovery, wont work.

Did you try using a terminal emulator on the phone itself? Just "reboot recovery", not "adb reboot recovery". (Remember you have to give the app SU permissions first, if it doesn't request them on its own type in "su" and the do the "reboot recovery" command)

android-goj

Nov 25, 2010
Lol, it seems nobody want to understand that you cannot boot the phone and use an application from market....

I have the same problem... But I found that you can buy the three buttons, it's about 20€, but you need to open the phone. You found a lot of tutorial on the web to do this.

Hope this help

Raoulius

Dec 10, 2013

I am struggling with the same problem. I have a I9100 too and am familiair with rooting and upgrading.
But where should I typ "adb reboot recovery"? Can you be more specific?

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

heywheelie

Feb 12, 2013
Brisbane
As your phone is rooted it is very easy to get to recovery. Load Google Play and go to the app store and download "Quick Boot" and install. Run Quick Boot and it will give you an option to reboot the phone to recovery.

Great for stock phones with root.

badboyundercover

Mar 17, 2018
hi guys

My problem is, I don't know the pattern/pin on it and the home button does not work. The friend that has the phone somehow forgot them by not using the phone awhile... Is there any chance I can get into recovery in this situation? Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In some custom roms you can have a "reboot to recovery" option in the power menu (when you press the home button for 2 seconds or so)
    Or, you can download an android terminal emulator and type "reboot recovery" into it (after giving it superuser permissions by typing in "su").