[Q] Verizon GS4 Developer Edition can no longer install custom recoveries

Search This thread
R

richii0207

Why invest manpower and equal amounts of money to that of the retail edition for updating a phone in which virtually nobody has. Why would a dev phone need to be updated? It's basically a DD phone. I don't think many people have taken much thought into it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Droid9684

May 9, 2011
Same problem with S5 DE

All,

I have the Verizon Galaxy S4 Developer Edition. I purchased this one b/c it had an unlocked bootloader and I like to install custom recoveries so I can install custom ROMs. Originally, it came with the MDK firmware on it and I was able to root it and install a custom recovery.

I applied the OTA MJ7 update. While I am able to root the device, I have not been able to install a custom recovery. After doing a ton of reading and soft bricking, everyone says that the latest firmware locks down the bootloader so that you cannot install custom recoveries.

Here lies my confusion...I bought the Developer Edition so my bootloader would never be locked and I could always install custom recoveries. Is there something I'm missing? Is it possible for me having a Developer Edition phone to install a custom recovery even though I'm on build I545VRUEMJ7?

In talking with Samsung support, they said that the bootloader will NEVER be locked with any updates on the Developer edition. Any information or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hello Jonathan. I have the same issue as you do but with the new S5 DE. I recently accidentally locked the bootloader on it using JODIN for Mac. I talked to samsung and they told me they will flash the right firmware and restore the phone for free despite it being custom. What did you end up doing for your issue how was it solved? Also IMEI numbers are a problem in their system with Dev editions i was told and mine comes up as out of warranty. Thanks!

By the way I'll be writing up a tutorial for those who have Mac they can use ODIN windows on Virtual Box I figured it out. :) This may or may not apply to you.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53284626

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just goes to show they don't have a real interest in a Dev device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not so sure if it a case of not having interest, I just don't think they thought it out fully. They produced them and spent the money investing in it. There is a Note 3 Developer edition as well. They just didn't fully think out the implications of support, updating, etc. Which is a shame. The Samsung Developer Device program could have been huge if it was executed properly. To take a retail device, change a few letters from "VRE" to "OYU", slap a sticker on it and call it a developer device, while it still contains KNOX and other developer unfriendly aspects was poor execution.
    Listen I feel sorry for the OP but it's completely his fault for flashing a consumer device image. I know if I were Samsung I wouldn't expect people who buy DEVELOPER editions to do something as silly as that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app