Moto Does It Again!! (People are not gonna be happy)

Search This thread

FernBch

Well, I hear the 2.3.5 update is coming for the MoPho. If you want to be able to flash custom roms, kernels, etc. you should read here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620905 It appears if you flash this you may have the same issue the Electrify users had after they flashed 2.3.5.

Way to keep, I mean, break a promise Moto!

My MoPho's in the kitchen sink!!

Last edited:

MadFlava

Jul 5, 2008
I actually have 4G at my office and thats why unlocking has been a deal breaker for me. This is also the reason I wont buy another Motorola device. I bought this device, I own it. Motorola said they would unlock the bootloaders and now its pretty apparent they arent going to. I wont make the mistake of buying another Motorola phone. They need to just go back o Verizon and stay there.

Reactions: srkelley

FernBch

<MOD EDIT>

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Maybe. I guess I can consider myself lucky. I mean, IMHO, Moto's hardware is better than most. They are well built, my reception is top notch, and I do have an unlocked device.

The part that makes Moto suck is the software end. They said they would unlock things, but it appears this is not the case. And who's to say that Sprint doesn't have a hand in this, either? I mean, if we unlock, flash, etc. we are using our devices how WE want, not how THEY want.

Just saying..............

Last edited by a moderator:

pgriffinsc

Dec 20, 2010
Charleston,S.C.
Yeah,I kind of feel the same way.I was digging around in the ICS system dump for the Razr.I almost think id rather have AOSP ICS over what Moto offers,if its gonna look like the Razrs.With ICS,they have to "theme" the AOSP Holo theme,not rework it completely per Google.And looking through the apps,no more Universal Mail Box,my personal favorite.
Maybe. I guess I can consider myself lucky. I mean, IMHO, Moto's hardware is better than most. They are well built, my reception is top notch, and I do have an unlocked device.

The part that makes Motor suck is the software end. They said they would unlock things, but it appears this is not the case. And who's to say that Sprint doesn't have a hand in this, either? I mean, if we unlock, flash, etc. we are using our devices how WE want, not how THEY want.

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
For me, Motorola's superior radio is more important than the bootloader. I live out in the country, and I use US Cellular because the Big Four don't consider service to my neck of the woods to be profitable. Even so, US Cellular service with a Samsung or HTC means I have to put my phone in the windowsill to get reception. With Motorola, I can have the phone at my desk or in bed, or in the bathroom which is practically a Faraday cage, and still get calls and messages.

I thought Sprint was abandoning the Photon. Are they still doing so?

Also, thanks for the heads up. My brother has a Photon. I'll make sure he doesn't upgrade to 2.3.5. I've tried to get him to sign up here and learn how to change up his phone. Pretty sure he just has everything stock. (He lives in another state, I've never actually seen his phone.)

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
Give it time guys. Once Motorola has released their ics update and sprint stops supporting the moto(EOL catches up) then I see no reason why they wouldn't unlock it or at least give us north America at&t so I could "lose" my phone and get its replacement and continue to use this phone as a prepaid go phone after I get my upgrade

Sprints keeping it locked down because its still a high selling phone. You would figure they would want to keep there entire north American nation on their network as long as they are still selling this phone. Sounds like good business to me while also helping the people out that do actually travel the world and still able to use their only world phone to do so. Sprint is being smart with this phone. I would do the same if I were them and if anyone complained to me I would tell them "we gave you a world phone so you could travel. You want a phone you can't leave the US with in exchange for an unlocked bootloader then get one of our many other amazing androids with unlocked restricted to north America only. Either way were getting your money and so does Motorola"

This phone already has more to offer than most high end androids out there. Top notch radios, solid design, superb CPU with nvidia graphics technology, only sprint Android to be unlocked for other country's" it does not have 3D if you want that get the evo 3D.

Please people appreciate what Motorola and sprint has offered us and stop complain so much. Sure I hate that its still locked and i can't use it for At&t but I also understood this before I bought the phone and dealt with it for what it is. Everyone here seems to knows Motorola's past about promises but yet you still purchased this device anyway...

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

Last edited:

FernBch

Give it time guys. Once Motorola has released their ics update and sprint stops supporting the moto(EOL catches up) then I see no reason why they wouldn't unlock it or at least give us north America at&t so I could "lose" my phone and get its replacement and continue to use this phone as a prepaid go phone after I get my upgrade

Sprints keeping it locked down because its still a high selling phone. You would figure they would want to keep there entire north American nation on their network as long as they are still selling this phone. Sounds like good business to me while also helping the people out that do actually travel the world and still able to use their only world phone to do so. Sprint is being smart with this phone. I would do the same if I were them and if anyone complained to me I would tell them "we gave you a world phone so you could travel. You want a phone you can't leave the US with in exchange for an unlocked bootloader then get one of our many other amazing androids with unlocked restricted to north America only. Either way were getting your money and so does Motorola"

This phone already has more to offer than most high end androids out there. Top notch radios, solid design, superb CPU with nvidia graphics technology, only sprint Android to be unlocked for other country's" it does not have 3D if you want that get the evo 3D.

Please people appreciate what Motorola and sprint has offered us and stop complain so much. Sure I hate that its still locked and i can't use it for At&t but I also understood this before I bought the phone and dealt with it for what it is. Everyone here seems to knows Motorola's past about promises but yet you still purchased this device anyway...

Don't hold your breath. Moto has not unlocked any device in the past and the Photon will probably be no different. People have been begging for unlock for the first Droid X and a few others for quite some time.

It was taken away from Electrify users and now Photon users. It will not be given back.

Last edited:

bricky23

Apr 6, 2010
Akron
Xiaomi Poco F3
Google Pixel 6a

You misunderstand, what they are talking about here is the bootloader. It needs to be unlocked to flash custom roms and kernels. Right now unlocked bootloader means no 4g. After update it means unable to unlock bootloader at all. Has nothing to do with using on att.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles
The OP is right. The next release for the Photon for now is a GB maintenance update. Here is a link to Moto's explanation that defines the terms "update" and "upgrade". On the SOAK test page it says that they are looking for users to test the pre-release "update". I hope the Photon doesn't have the same issues as the Electrify. I have no doubt that ICS upgrade is in the works and will be released in Q3 and this update is a side thing.

posted April 25, 2012 by Remy
ericchan3 said:
"New call for SOAK testers for an upcoming release. Look at the sticky thread for the update posted today. I am hoping its for the ICS update."

This is not going to be an ICS release for a couple of reasons:

1) It does not match up with the timeline posted here on the upgrades page.

2) Terminology; Update = maintenance update, fixes. Upgrade = OS upgrade, ie: ICS.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks,

J

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/25829baf50

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
You misunderstand, what they are talking about here is the bootloader. It needs to be unlocked to flash custom roms and kernels. Right now unlocked bootloader means no 4g. After update it means unable to unlock bootloader at all. Has nothing to do with using on att.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

So your saying that Motorola(or sprint telling moto what's up) has decided to Bork 4G if bootloader is unlocked? Kinda makes sense. If your not going to use software provided by the hard working people over at moto then why should they give you everything? Makes sense wouldnt give us an unlocked bootloader. Because they know that no matter what we will still be able to unlock it ourselves or still find a way to install custom roms and kernels. This isn't their first rodeo obviously. They worked hard to bring us this wonderful phone why would they make it easy for us to replace it?

I understand what you guys are saying. I just thought I would add a bit more to it before it was debated later. Motorola all around still has some of the highest selling android phones most of which have locked bootloaders but somehow still attract the same people that always say "I will never buy a Motorola again!"

Im just trying to get the people to understand that its just like when you were a kid and you touch a hot stove for the first time. You don't touch it again right? Why get the photon if you could have gotten a different high end device? Maybe one with an unlocked bootloader.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com

All Moto/Sprint has to do is make the claim of "network security concerns" and all petitions and laws related to unlocking can be ignored. Just look at Verizon and devices on Block C frequencies. Now if nobody purchased Moto devices for on release cycle then Moto may reconsider but that will never happen so our phones stay locked by the manufacturer.

Reactions: hellot1M

FernBch

True, but someone sooner or later will get an anti trust action or whatever you call it. Microsoft tried that crap and were eventually shot down. Your phone is basically a mini PC. What they are doing is trying to limit software to what they can control.

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
I had used HTC phones for years, but wanted to give Moto a shot.

I'll probably go back to HTC.

But - important - I now no longer see the need to upgrade every year. I got to that point a few years ago with my laptop, and think I'm there with my tablet also.

FernBch

I quit upgrading every year. There's really no need to. My first was the Moto Q, had it for over a year then I got it wet. My next was a HTC Ozone, grew tired of the WinMo thing after almost two years. Next was a Droid X, I really liked it, even renewed my contract, but Big Red really pissed me off. Now I have the MoPho and it's here to stay. Being able to get ICS from these awesome devs just cements it's place. But Moto does need to either quit making promises they don't intend to keep and/or get with the program.

Last edited:

willysp

Apr 6, 2010
I quit upgrading every year. There's really no need to. My first was the Moto Q, had it for over a year then I got it wet. My next was a HTC Ozone, grew tired of the WinMo thing after almost two years. Next was a Droid X, I really liked it, even renewed my contract, but Big Red really pissed me off. Now I have the MoPho and it's here to stay. Being able to get ICS from these awesome devs just cements it's place. But Moto does need to either quit making promises they don't intend to keep and/or get with the program.

After a year in India, one year ago I made the jump from WinMo to Android - have had 3 Android phones in that year. Happy with the Photon for at least another year+ with ICS coming.

DualSportDad

Apr 29, 2010
Cape Coral, Fl.
True, but someone sooner or later will get an anti trust action or whatever you call it. Microsoft tried that crap and were eventually shot down. Your phone is basically a mini PC. What they are doing is trying to limit software to what they can control.

exactly! if i buy a laptop and it comes with windows 7 on it and i want windows xp i can do that. why the heck can't i do the same with my phone that costs more than my laptop?

like i stated in another thread.... all my devices for now on will be Nexus'. hopefully it will be a motorola one cause i love their hardware but i feel that i should be able to put what ever the hell i want to on my phone. i have a huge problem with the fact that companies won't allow me to do that. so for now on either the phone already has a unlocked bootloader (by the manufacturer or by another means) or i'll just buy a Nexus phone.

schale01

Dec 20, 2010
Somehow I'm still surprised that this update they are testing is ONLY the 2.3.5 gingerbread update. Somehow I had some sort of hope that this would be the ICS update. Not sure how I was that optimistic about it, I guess I just figured they wouldn't be just now testing an update for the Photon that came out on the electrify over a month ago.

Reactions: FernBch

KyleJDavison

Sep 19, 2010

The part that makes Moto suck is the software end. They said they would unlock things, but it appears this is not the case. And who's to say that Sprint doesn't have a hand in this, either? I mean, if we unlock, flash, etc. we are using our devices how WE want, not how THEY want.

I agree with you 100%. Motorola phones have been very good to me. I need something that's durable with my job, and the way my Motorola phones have held up has been more than acceptable. I am actually scared to try another manufacture's device because of how much luck I've had with Motorola.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I hear the 2.3.5 update is coming for the MoPho. If you want to be able to flash custom roms, kernels, etc. you should read here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620905 It appears if you flash this you may have the same issue the Electrify users had after they flashed 2.3.5.

Way to keep, I mean, break a promise Moto!

Its kind of cute how naively you are defending Motorola.

Lol I'm defending a good solid phone. I don't understand why this phone is receiving so much hate. Just like my distaste for root beer. I don't like it. I know what to expect if take a sip so I do what I can yo avoid it. If you don't like your phone then sell it on Craigslist and by a Samsung and stop whining

I actually have 4G at my office and thats why unlocking has been a deal breaker for me. This is also the reason I wont buy another Motorola device. I bought this device, I own it. Motorola said they would unlock the bootloaders and now its pretty apparent they arent going to. I wont make the mistake of buying another Motorola phone. They need to just go back o Verizon and stay there.

All Moto/Sprint has to do is make the claim of "network security concerns" and all petitions and laws related to unlocking can be ignored. Just look at Verizon and devices on Block C frequencies. Now if nobody purchased Moto devices for on release cycle then Moto may reconsider but that will never happen so our phones stay locked by the manufacturer.
    Somehow I'm still surprised that this update they are testing is ONLY the 2.3.5 gingerbread update. Somehow I had some sort of hope that this would be the ICS update. Not sure how I was that optimistic about it, I guess I just figured they wouldn't be just now testing an update for the Photon that came out on the electrify over a month ago.