[Q] Re-group for finding a way to root?

Search This thread

Galchonok

May 29, 2014
Hello! I know that today there is no root for KK 4.4.2 with Locked BL. But I can not find any answer to idea why we can not take 2 phones (A with unlocked BL running KK 4.4.2 and B with locked BL on KK 4.4.2) and using dump make B as clone of A? What is preventing to do so? QFuse? Special signature like ssh on iPhone? If phone A passed all signature checks while getting 4.4.2 OTA why we can not do the same for phone B?

Are there any team which is trying to find a way to root or everybody works separately? Maybe it's right time to re-group, share the information, analyze what we have and try to find new weak points?

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Problem is the phone B with locked BL has /system partition write-protected and there is no way to flash a rooted dump from phone A into it.
Unlocked BL doesn't check signatures (which is what it means to have an unlocked BL) while locked BL does check for signatures (which are impossible to spoof), so you're not getting past that with a ROM dump.

queue72

Sep 25, 2013
Unlocked BL doesn't check signatures (which is what it means to have an unlocked BL) while locked BL does check for signatures (which are impossible to spoof), so you're not getting past that with a ROM dump.

It's not impossible, but just astronomically improbable. You would need the private key that Motorola uses to sign their code, that involves theft or brute forcing (which would probably take longer than the universe has been around by a large factor).

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
You're asking for people to try to find an exploit on a phone that is probably at EOL, it's probably not going to happen. There aren't "teams" that just sit around and try to find root exploits for every Android device out there. Yes, there are few very intelligent people that have found many of the exploits, but if they're not motivated by an $18K+ bounty on a brand new device (read: S5), then I highly doubt they'll be motivated for this device. My solution? Stick to unlockable phones from now on. That's why I moved on to the M8, even though my HD and M are both unlocked/rooted with the previous exploit.

rekids

Not sure if it works for the M but .... A root exploit has been released today for the newer motos on 4.4 & 4.4.2 (pre April 30th for Ultras).

This release was brought to us by none other then Jcase.

Please help and contribute to the bounty for all the work and talent he has shared over time here on XDA.

Root exploit is in the Moto X forum.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
Any way to adopt that root for our device? Or again we have no such exploit?

You can't just "adopt" root.

This is a direct quote from this thread http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-info-status-of-root-for-kitkat-build-182183/ on Droidrzr.com about why it doesn't work on the older Razrs:
Yeah I had jcase on hangouts. We did some digging and the patch that they applied in the coming 4.4.3 builds is present in the 4.4.2 build on the xt907 and xt926.
^^^This patch is the one that's talked about on the XDA front page.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Problem is, if you want a small Android with decent specs, and I don't mean just one with a smaller screen, but also with a smaller body/bezels, Motorola's pretty much the only game in town.

For $47 shipped, I picked up what I HOPE is a BL unlocked RAZR M. In my free time, I waded through hundreds of eBay auctions till I found an M with a screenshot of something other than stock ROM and found one with CM on it.

Reactions: Kharlitro

Strife89

Apr 29, 2011
Problem is, if you want a small Android with decent specs, and I don't mean just one with a smaller screen, but also with a smaller body/bezels, Motorola's pretty much the only game in town.

For $47 shipped, I picked up what I HOPE is a BL unlocked RAZR M. In my free time, I waded through hundreds of eBay auctions till I found an M with a screenshot of something other than stock ROM and found one with CM on it.

Nice find! Razr Ms are still going for no less than $100 on Swappa, so hopefully you got a sweet deal. :good:

I only wish I was so lucky. :/

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Nice find! Razr Ms are still going for no less than $100 on Swappa, so hopefully you got a sweet deal. :good:

I only wish I was so lucky. :/

Normally they don't go that cheap. Part of the reason might be because it has a cracked camera lens, but I bought a new one for $8.95. Possibly people also get scared off when they see a non-stock ROM because they want something that hasn't been tampered with. It's not the first time I've seen an M with CM on it that went for lower than average.

Hopefully the phone turns out to be BL unlocked and not safe-strapped. Seller said he was 99% sure it was BL unlocked. If not, no biggie, I should at least be able to get my money back if I resell it.

I might still keep looking because the phone I bought was white and I really prefer black.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.