Apps that work on Nook Touch

Search This thread

phazeonphoenix

Apr 7, 2010
I'm planning to buy an ebook reader especially for PDF's so can anybody share experience of reading PDF on NST.....

As many reviews said it's not that comfort because of 6" display and all....so I need a suggestion who experienced...

Thanks

It largely depends on the type of PDF you want to view. For PDFs that largely contain text, the NST works fairly well. It will reflow the text and work quite nicely. Those with large amounts of imagery or complex page layouts are a different matter. The NST tries it's best but the size of the display and its low processing power (relative to other devices) limits its capabilities. It's also a tad slower reading PDFs vs. EPUBs or similar. I've read of some success with other PDF readers from the market, but I personally do not use PDFs that often so I have not experimented with them.

Despite the small display size, low processing power and PDF layout irregularities I've had fairly decent performance from the NST when reading PDFs. It works far better than I could have hoped from such a small and low cost device.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
I'm planning to buy an ebook reader especially for PDF's so can anybody share experience of reading PDF on NST.....

As many reviews said it's not that comfort because of 6" display and all....so I need a suggestion who experienced...

Thanks

I use NST mainly for reading PDF's.
The experience depends mainly on the size of PDF file and rendering method used by your reading apk.
Also..reading pdf's without using "FastMode/NoRefresh" is kind of painful (but not impossible).
I find "APV PDF Viewer" and "Ebooka PDF Viewer" to be the best PDF readers available.
They render a page chunk by chunk and use cache to store next pages. It works quite well on large PDF's (in comparison to for example "EzPDF reader" which renders all page at once).
"EzPDF" is usefull if you want to reflow your pdf or make an annotation in it.
If you really do not want to use "FastMode" both APV and Ebooka have zoom buttons (Ebooka lets you to lock currently set zoom level).
If you'll bump this thread tomorrow around 19.00 (GTM +1) i'll post some videos of different pdf viewers in action.

Reactions: hereusethis

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
I use NST mainly for reading PDF's.
The experience depends mainly on the size of PDF file and rendering method used by your reading apk.
Also..reading pdf's without using "FastMode/NoRefresh" is kind of painful (but not impossible).
I find "APV PDF Viewer" and "Ebooka PDF Viewer" to be the best PDF readers available.
They render a page chunk by chunk and use cache to store next pages. It works quite well on large PDF's (in comparison to for example "EzPDF reader" which renders all page at once).
"EzPDF" is usefull if you want to reflow your pdf or make an annotation in it.
If you really do not want to use "FastMode" both APV and Ebooka have zoom buttons (Ebooka lets you to lock currently set zoom level).
If you'll bump this thread tomorrow around 19.00 (GTM +1) i'll post some videos of different pdf viewers in action.

Here it is.

1. FastMode + APV / EBOOKA / EZPDF [+ text reflow ] (in that order)
2. Standard refresh mode
3. Partial refresh mode
4. NoRefresh Mode

Normally hardware buttons work. They do not scroll the page because I changed my config.

Sorry for not showing the default reader. I removed it.

source-code

Mar 17, 2013
Thank you for the response......Actually I'm confused with Nexus7 and NST. I know both of different type but I want a device purely for reading purpose. So I thought of Nook Simple Touch. And I gone through most of the threads to root the device and overclocking too. And about the price NST is exactly half to Nexus7 with more features. But when it comes to reading i don't have idea because i never seen e-ink display personally.

And also please inform whether battery backup will be effected after rooting....

Thank you all....

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Thank you for the response......Actually I'm confused with Nexus7 and NST. I know both of different type but I want a device purely for reading purpose. So I thought of Nook Simple Touch. And I gone through most of the threads to root the device and overclocking too. And about the price NST is exactly half to Nexus7 with more features. But when it comes to reading i don't have idea because i never seen e-ink display personally.

And also please inform whether battery backup will be effected after rooting....

Thank you all....

battery backup?
I assume you meant battery life.
If you do it right you should get ~1% drop in battery life per day on sleeping rooted nook.
Of course if you use it during the day the drop will be greater depending on what apk's you have running.
By "doing it right" i mean removing Phone.apk , putting nook to sleep automatically instead of just pushing power button and killing running apk's after boot and before sleep (using for eg. TaskXP)
All info on howto preserve Nooks battery is somewhere on this forum.

source-code

Mar 17, 2013
battery backup?
I assume you meant battery life.
If you do it right you should get ~1% drop in battery life per day on sleeping rooted nook.
Of course if you use it during the day the drop will be greater depending on what apk's you have running.
By "doing it right" i mean removing Phone.apk , putting nook to sleep automatically instead of just pushing power button and killing running apk's after boot and before sleep (using for eg. TaskXP)
All info on howto preserve Nooks battery is somewhere on this forum.

Thank you for the quick response....I gone through the threads abt the battery life as u mentioned. Now I think NST is the better option for the reading purpose than a tablet....When I get my device i may need some guidance and help for the root. Thank you for your valuable time.

hereusethis

Jun 9, 2011
Still current?

Here it is.

1. FastMode + APV / EBOOKA / EZPDF [+ text reflow ] (in that order)
2. Standard refresh mode
3. Partial refresh mode
4. NoRefresh Mode

Normally hardware buttons work. They do not scroll the page because I changed my config.

Sorry for not showing the default reader. I removed it.

Sorry for necroposting, but this is exactly what I want to do with my newly rooted Nook. Is this still the best/current way to acheive smooth large-pdf viewing? (If I don't get a reply here, I can post in the Newbie thread, but unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to post back a link to this thread, making explaining what I want to do a bit of a challenge. At any rate, a three-year late thanks for sharing your PDF setup! :good:

N

NOOK!E

Sorry for necroposting, but this is exactly what I want to do with my newly rooted Nook. Is this still the best/current way to acheive smooth large-pdf viewing? (If I don't get a reply here, I can post in the Newbie thread, but unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to post back a link to this thread, making explaining what I want to do a bit of a challenge. At any rate, a three-year late thanks for sharing your PDF setup! :good:

Yeah, it really hasn't changed too much. Just grab the NoRefresh toggle app and a PDF reader of choice, and you're good to go.

hereusethis

Jun 9, 2011
Yeah, it really hasn't changed too much. Just grab the NoRefresh toggle app and a PDF reader of choice, and you're good to go.

Thanks for the response. It's much appreciated. So far I've tried:

• ezPDF - I have the pro version and I generally like it on my phone, but I find the dark theme/UI pretty much usable on the nook and haven't found an easy way to lighten it up.
  • Stock Nook - Great for reading epub. Pretty lacking for pdfs, especially those with a lot of images.
  • APV -- I've never heard of this one, but video impressed me. It' s no longer in the play store but managed to locate a copy. Haven't installed/configured yet.

I have the debug version of no-refresh that you (ИΘΘK¡€) posted in another thread. But I obviously have it configured wrong -- lots of flashing with every scroll/swipe on all of these apps (and others). I'd really like to get the smooth action shown in this video of APV. Osowiecki mentions norefresh and fastmode2. Do I need both? Do I need a kernel? I think I need one for multi-touch, yes? So I may as well add that to my list of nook projects.

At any rate, something's missing on my install for sure, but with all the great info here I'm bound to figure it out eventually!:good:

N

NOOK!E

Thanks for the response. It's much appreciated. So far I've tried:

• ezPDF - I have the pro version and I generally like it on my phone, but I find the dark theme/UI pretty much usable on the nook and haven't found an easy way to lighten it up.
  • Stock Nook - Great for reading epub. Pretty lacking for pdfs, especially those with a lot of images.
  • APV -- I've never heard of this one, but video impressed me. It' s no longer in the play store but managed to locate a copy. Haven't installed/configured yet.

I have the debug version of no-refresh that you (ИΘΘK¡€) posted in another thread. But I obviously have it configured wrong -- lots of flashing with every scroll/swipe on all of these apps (and others). I'd really like to get the smooth action shown in this video of APV. Osowiecki mentions norefresh and fastmode2. Do I need both? Do I need a kernel? I think I need one for multi-touch, yes? So I may as well add that to my list of nook projects.

At any rate, something's missing on my install for sure, but with all the great info here I'm bound to figure it out eventually!:good:

Well, first off, what Nook Touch do you have, what B&N software does it have, and what tool or ROM did you root it with?

I can definitely share my own PDF reading setup, but I'll need the above information first.

hereusethis

Jun 9, 2011
Root details

Well, first off, what Nook Touch do you have, what B&N software does it have, and what tool or ROM did you root it with?

I can definitely share my own PDF reading setup, but I'll need the above information first.

I have a Simple Touch (no glow), it's running B&N 1.2.1, and I rooted with Nook Manager .5. (I also have NTGAppsAttack, Nook Manager, and some other stuff - ES File Explorer, JB Keyboard, and a bunch of different reader and PDF apps). I've considered flashing a ROM (ie, your 1337 ROM) so maybe that's the easiest route to Nook goodness? That said, I really only need the rooting for PDF reading and some app support (keyboard, light browser) so closer to stock may be the better. Regardless, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, After rooting my Nook Touch I've been trying to find apps that work. It made sense to me if there was a sticky making it easier to play with our new toys so hopefully a mod will stickie this.

I haven't tried any of these yet but Aruangra said they work with Nook Touch:

Opera Mini (There are zoom buttons !. But it cannot access the local host (192.168.x.x))
    Opera Mobile (It can access the local host)
    Dictionary.com
    NewsRob
    Kindle
    Documents to Go
    Dropbox
    InstaFetch
    Aldiko
    ASTRO file manager
    SpeedTest.net
    PG Calculator
    BuzzBox RSS
    Evernote
    Moon+ Reader (The physical buttons can also change pages !!! and every page is refreshed. No more ghosting issue)
    ADW Launcher (Maybe the only launcher that can change background color of Drawer)
    Advanced Task Killer (a Must have)
    Button Savior (a Must have)
    NookColor Tools (a Must have)
    Superuser (a Must have)

Rev01 says these work:

working (on restore)

Titanium Backup
    Read it later (Pro)
    ElectroDroid
    RootExplorer
    Terminal Emulator
    Wifi Analyzer
    Permissions Denied
    Samba Filesharing
    ShoppingList Plus
    Wuala
    Autostarts
    XDA (Premium) (some threads are empty)

Tebra says these games work:
    Crimson Fields
    Andoku
    Four in a Row HD

apeine:
    Tried some, but most of them has some level of ghosting:
    Working so far:
    - Klondike
    - Reversi free
    - Nemo picross
    - GObandroid (to play Go! - very good)
    - Super Sudoku
    - Klondike free
    - Dark nova (used to love Space Trader on my old Treo)
    - Repligo and ezPDF. Both allows annotation and bookmarking. Give it a try!
    i install root explorer in my nook touch but when i wanted to install .apk files in sdcard blocked installations;

install blocked
    for security,your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in android market.
    please help me.
    :confused::eek:

Assuming you used TouchNooter here is what you need to do go to your app drawer and click on NookColor Tools. Unclick "Allow Non-Market Apps" and then reclick it. Your problem should be solved.
    Sync with Google calendar

One of the major reasons for getting my Nook Touch was to be able to sync with google calendar. I was very upset when I learned the ability to sync the calendar was random :mad: until now...

synker allows you to manually sync your calendar and mail.
    I also have found that Jorte is a much nicer calendar/planner than stock. :D Both of these apps are free and available on Android market.
    More apps that work on Nook

I found these work on my Nook and they are all free and available through the android market:
    note:

GAMES:

Choice of Broadsides
    Choice of the Dragon
    Four in a line free
    Checkers free
    Four in a row
    Fruits memory kids game
    Chess
    Checkers Pro
    Kids Match'em
    Memory Game for Kids
    Pirates and Traders
    Spider
    Tic Tac Toe
    What Happened Last Night
    Dots and Boxs

APPS:
    Astro file manager
    Bristen Calculator
    Color Dict
    ES File Explorer (allows access to root directories)
    Go Keyboard
    Jorte (daily planner)
    Medscape (alternative for Epocrates)
    My-Cast Weather ( I'm able to see weather alerts)
    OL Notepad
    Olive Office Premium
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    PG Calculator
    Synker
    WikiDroid
    and of course the XDA app
    Four in a Row HD with enhanced grayscale screens support in the Market now, make sure you're installing version 3.3 at least.

Recommended preferences for the Nook Touch in options menu:
    - Choose the "Naughts and crosses" skin.
    - Disable animations.
    - Check "solid black background" box in case the new gray stripes looks bad.

Other skins might look better now also, specially the default metal skin which has textured face. Moreover, the striped default background helps differentiating holes and chips.

If you've found this update useful, please rate and comment in the Market and/or the official thread at XDA, thanks so much! :)