[Q] Linux ADB and my GT 7+

Search This thread

lilott8

Apr 17, 2009
For whatever reason, my GT 7+ is showing: ????????? offline/device when I run adb devices. I've tried running adb kill/start as root, still nothing. I've cycled "USB debugging". I'm running ubuntu 10.10. Every thing but adb is working but adb :(

Any insight or help would be helpful.

lilott8

Apr 17, 2009
Answered

Here's the rule I put up in /etc/udev/rules/98-android.rules:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666" #all samsung devices
Then restart udev and then restart adb and it's up!

Jason_25

Aug 2, 2007
This method is hard to remember. You can also start adb as root with:
adb start-server
and it should work that way, at least until adb is closed. You do not have to do all the adb commands as root, only the start.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
This method is hard to remember. You can also start adb as root with:
adb start-server
and it should work that way, at least until adb is closed. You do not have to do all the adb commands as root, only the start.

Why do you need to remember it? Create a udev rule once and you never have to deal with it again.

Running things as root should be avoided if possible.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have found that there may be an issue with ubuntu 10.10 and this tablet. For me, it seems that the MTP crud is interfering with adb. If I freeze the MTP application on the tablet, I have no problem.

...and now it gets even stranger: If I boot ubuntu 10.10 in a virtual machine (vmware 8.x), its fine even with mtp enabled.

I haven't had any issue at all with my gentoo boot. (However, I've been trying to do the android development with ubuntu as it appears to be directly supported by google.)

(This really isn't an issue for me, as I actually prefer to keep MTP disabled so I don't get popups.)

Jason_25

Aug 2, 2007
Why do you need to remember it? Create a udev rule once and you never have to deal with it again.

Running things as root should be avoided if possible.

Because I work on computers other than my own?
Because I have more than one computer?
Because I sometime reinstall the OS?
Because I don't have magical fail-proof hardware?
Because udev gets messed up and apt-get replaces the rules file?

This method is simpler for new users. The adb tools are straight from google so can be trusted and the udev approach just adds a lot of complexity.

edit:
I have found that there may be an issue with ubuntu 10.10 and this tablet. For me, it seems that the MTP crud is interfering with adb. If I freeze the MTP application on the tablet, I have no problem.
I do not seem to have any problem using 64-bit debian, which you probably know Ubuntu is based on. I have even built the AOSP with it without much trouble. Though, deploying it to a device is a different matter for me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts