[GUIDE] Where's my CPU ID at, why you need adb and whats fastboot!!

Search This thread

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Retrieve your CPUID

(1) Use a500Manager Tool (download at bottom of post)
This tool is your first port of call! It will download the drivers, retrieve your CPUID, and flash the unlocked bootloader.

(2) Using Terminal Emulator

Reboot your tab
Code:
dmesg | grep androidboot.serialno
some have reported this did not work for them but that this one did when they tried it:
Code:
dmesg > /mnt/external_sd/dmesg.txt

(3)Using USBDeview
Suggest you extract to the same folder you used for your adb files,
USBDeview will only work when you have previously plugged your tab into the PC WHILE
you were running HC Rom and BL

1 Run the exe and you will be presented with a window of all the USB devices you have ever plugged into your computer.

2 Click on "VendorID" along the top to sort them

3 Look for the number "0502" under VendorID or 3325 "ProductID"

4 In the serial number column will be a 15-digit number this is your device ID

5 Write the number down and put a 0 in front of it and now you have your CPU ID!!!

(4) From your nandroid backup

In the cwm folder on your ext. sd card - open one of your backup folders and look for "uid.txt" file.

From cwm 1.7.2 on, will dislay your "uid" on the menu screen, and from memory TWRP does too.-

(5) Run command "adb devices" in command prompt HC ONLY

(6) From Custom Recovery

Most of the custom recovery's now have your uid displayed on the main screen of the recovery menu

(7) From a working Tab...

open yr file explorer, esfile explorer is a great one....
navigate to:
/sys/firmware/fuse/acer_cpuid - add a zero to the front!!! easy peasy;)

(8)From a bricked or non-booting Tab

then things become a little more complex. And more involved if you have no backup.
The only way is using Linux. srbeen has a guide to do this using code by eppeP. There are those who being Linux noobs have had success with this method.
Read the whole thread as there are some helpful hints all thru the guide. If you get stuck eppeP is still around and will help out, if you can show an example of
"how and where" something does not seem to be working for you. If your questions go unanswered its because its been answered before so please go thru the thread!!!

here.
srbeens guide here

Cannot boot tab because:

(1) "Write Protected - need to enter password
If you encrypt your data and forget your password - you must do a full data reset wipe to get into your system again

(2) Stuck on the Acer Screen
From user JDGM3NT4L - Want to return to stock? This is for you...
A500 Back to Factory Stock the easy way
- via stock update.zip method
- no cpuid required,
- use with or w/out patched bootloader.
- needs cwm installed
- full data wipe needed

(3) Other things to check

- check data cables, micro-usb cable required
- plug in to another USB Port
- check you have the cable actually connected to both device

Try a different PC. Vista/Win 7/XP usually have no problems, there are issues with Win8 and 64bit systems

Also a heads up for when entering your uid's into the tool generators - a space counts as a character and will produce
an incorrect sbk!!!

You CANNOT use lowercase letters in your cpuid. If you do lowercase it will give you a different result

Vaches new SBK Tool here OR [/B]

DRIVERS

The drivers are not installed properly, I can hear you all already!! I've done that over and over and its not working!!!!

sometimes if you fail to complete a nvflash you need to completely reinstall the Acer Drivers before it seems to want to finish...ssoooooooo, uninstall and reinstall!!!!

Acer Support for Acer APX/Fastboot/Recovery Drivers
Android SDK for the adb/USB drivers - You can d/l a mini zip containing just the adb and fastboot drivers attached to this post "adb_fast.zip"

GUIDES
Civs Guide to flashing the bootloader

walkthrough using apxflash tool at Step 6
From Civato's OP of The Guide: nvFlashToolPackages

Skrilax_CZ bootloader thread and should be "required reading" for anyone mucking about in their tabs internals!!!!

Rollback to HC
jazzyjames guide here

Iconia Root/gingerbreak: For returning to Honeycomb

GETTING ADB SET UP

It's a pain typing "my path" into cmd, can't I just type "adb devices"

Set adb as Environment Variable or call adb direct from command prompt

first, copy the path to your install - in this case:

"Path to adb" = C:\android\

1. Click on the Start menu

2. Right click on Computer

3. Click on Advanced system settings

4. Click on the Environment Variables button

5. Look for Path in the System Variables section. Double click on it

6. Go to the end of the Variable value box and put in a semicolon ;

7. Now paste your "Path to adb" after the ;

8. it should look like this in this case C:\android\adb

9. Now test it out - start - run/search - cmd - in cmd window type: adb devices

10. If you've followed the steps you will see your device ID - voila!!!!

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Attachments

• usbdeview-x64.zip
    94.3 KB · Views: 13,403
  • usbdeview.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 10,586
  • usbdeview.jpg
    usbdeview.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 25,614
  • dmesg.jpg
    dmesg.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9,278
  • adb_fast.zip
    778.3 KB · Views: 8,478
Last edited:

DrPlumEU

Nov 13, 2010
London
Stock ICS unable to access any of this...

If you are upgrading/downgrading using APX mode then you need your cpu id.
if you're having problems then keep reading...

Upgrading via an EUU/SBK method is dependant on a "successful communication connection" between your TAB and PC

If you cannot run "adb devices" and have it return your CPU ID then the flashing process will fail.

If you have a custom ICS rom AND on the HC Bootloader this number will be your serial no. please see note below

ok, lets go, you need the correct drivers installed to begin with:

1) go to Acer Support and download the Acer Drivers
2) run the Setup.exe to install them

You must also have the ADB drivers from the android-sdk (see attached zip)

3) Extract the adb files to your desktop
4) Open command prompt as admin
5) In the command prompt window type cd
6) leave a space after it
7) drag and drop the adb folder into the command window (This saves you having to enter the path manually)
8) Now, type adb devices and write your device ID down with a zero in front...done!!!

If you cannot get adb to retrieve your ID then the flashing process will not work as it should.

You need to fix this first....

*****Note: HC Bootloaders on custom ICS builds
adb will report your device ID as your serial number, which of course will not work for APX based flashing - thanks to tehdomil for the heads up:)
you guys will need your original HC CPU ID which you can get from the back up you made before flashing the ICS rom. For those that didn't - try usbdeview below.

*****How to retrieve your CPU ID from USBDeview
Suggest you extract to the same folder you used for your adb files, just to keep things tidy...you're bound to want these things again:)
1) If you haven't plugged your tab into this pc before, do so now, before you run the program.
1a) Run the exe and you will be presented with a window of all the USB devices you have ever plugged into your computer.
2) click on "VendorID" at the top to sort them
3) Look for the number "0502" under VendorID or 3325 "ProductID"
4) In the serial number column will be a 15-digit number this is your device ID
5) Write the number down and put a 0 in front of it and now you have your CPU ID

The adb guide will still apply as far as getting your tab and pc talking on the same wave length

Ok, followed all the steps. But cannot get my PC to recognise my tablet completely. MTP:yes, or Camera:yes, yet there is a driver missing which fails to load/install. Any ideas from you bright people?

I would like to access bootloader and flash recovery.

V frustrating.

For example, where do you find mtpfs and mount for Win 7 x64?

Thanks

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Ok, followed all the steps. But cannot get my PC to recognise my tablet completely. MTP:yes, or Camera:yes, yet there is a driver missing which fails to load/install. Any ideas from you bright people?

I would like to access bootloader and flash recovery.

V frustrating.

For example, where do you find mtpfs and mount for Win 7 x64?
Thanks

What shows in the command window after typing in adb devices?

Reactions: JdgM3NT4L

DrPlumEU

Nov 13, 2010
London
dibb_nz

/ adb devices
List of devices

/

In device manager, I have a "Other devices" Acer Iconia A500 no driver installed, yet "Portable Device" Acer Iconia A500 is fine.

I can copy and paste files from tablet while in MTP mode. No difference with SD card mounted or unmounted.

Very frustrating. The last device driver I assume is "USB device" but despite mucking around with Acer USB device drivers 1.00.0524 and 1.06.1500 no luck.

Grr

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
list of devices shows but no number

dibb_nz

/ adb devices
List of devices

/

In device manager, I have a "Other devices" Acer Iconia A500 no driver installed, yet "Portable Device" Acer Iconia A500 is fine.

I can copy and paste files from tablet while in MTP mode. No difference with SD card mounted or unmounted.

Very frustrating. The last device driver I assume is "USB device" but despite mucking around with Acer USB device drivers 1.00.0524 and 1.06.1500 no luck.

Grr

sorry bit caught up at the moment
things to check first:

...1) That you do have USB debugging enabled:Settings>Applications>Development
...2) Win7/Vista work best; XP can be titchy
...3) You d/l the "Just_adb.zip" to install the adb drivers - you dont mention an entry for them in Device Manager
...4) Switch USB ports on your pc
...5) Try another USB cable
...6) Put the MTP thing aside for now, they have no bearing on this issue:)

If still no joy then if you can, try another pc
If thats not possible then uninstal and reboot both devices
then reinstall both acer and adb - acer ones mainly
When you connect your tab again WAIT for windows to install them and see how u go

Last edited:
Reactions: DrPlumEU

spoupard

Apr 6, 2011
ADB or USBDeview both tell me that my CPUID is 0123456789ABCDEF. Of course, if I get the SKB and use NVFlash to validate it, it fails with a message that says "USB device not found."

I found my CPUID (0x033c20c541a051d7) in an old nandroid backup and tried it but with the same results.

Any ideas?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
CPU ID : Dev ID : UID

ADB or USBDeview both tell me that my CPUID is 0123456789ABCDEF. Of course, if I get the SKB and use NVFlash to validate it, it fails with a message that says "USB device not found."

I found my CPUID (0x033c20c541a051d7) in an old nandroid backup and tried it but with the same results.

Any ideas?

Ok i'm amending the guide as we speak, just to be clearer.

The device ID as reported by adb is 15 digits long the (UID)
when we use this no. for an EUU based flash we add a 0 to the front making 16 digits (CPUID)
the one in your nand adds 0x to the basic UID 17 digits

the CPUID from the EUU is for Honeycomb bootloaders
Which I believe is different for ICS bootloaders
and different again for HC b/l on ICS Rom!!!

i tried the SBK generator last nite for the first time and entered only my UID
and had no probs
so give that a go (in the example you gave) 033c20c541a01d7

;)

spoupard

Apr 6, 2011
Ok i'm amending the guide as we speak, just to be clearer.

The device ID as reported by adb is 15 digits long the (UID)
when we use this no. for an EUU based flash we add a 0 to the front making 16 digits (CPUID)
the one in your nand adds 0x to the basic UID 17 digits

the CPUID from the EUU is for Honeycomb bootloaders
Which I believe is different for ICS bootloaders
and different again for HC b/l on ICS Rom!!!

i tried the SBK generator last nite for the first time and entered only my UID
and had no probs
so give that a go (in the example you gave) 033c20c541a01d7

;)

Thanks for your help, but no luck. I tried the 033c20c541a01d7 number already in SBK and NVFlash still gives the same error. BTW, SBK generates the same number for both 033c20c541a01d7 and 0x033c20c541a01d7. Apparently, SBK is smart enough to ignore the leading 0x.

Any other suggestions?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Thanks for your help, but no luck. I tried the 033c20c541a01d7 number already in SBK and NVFlash still gives the same error. BTW, SBK generates the same number for both 033c20c541a01d7 and 0x033c20c541a01d7. Apparently, SBK is smart enough to ignore the leading 0x.

Any other suggestions?

that blows that theory:eek:

what does dmesg say?

edit: what tool are u using for nv flash, what b/l u on?
and if ADB or USBDeview both tell you CPUID is 0123456789ABCDEF then.....

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
....if I get the SKB and use NVFlash to validate it, it fails
So, the NV Flash tool invalidates the uid/sbk where usbdeview and adb agree??
with a message that says "USB device not found."
i no nothing of the nvflash process "in this instance" but if device is not found then there is no "connection" happening between the 2....have u posted on the thread where you got the tool?? not trying to fob you off at all its just theres alot methods out there at the moment and i'm doing my best to keep up with them all!!!
are you saying cpuid here is different to what the other 2 report???

i'll be out for an hour or so but will stop in when i get back . good luck

spoupard

Apr 6, 2011

i no nothing of the nvflash process "in this instance" but if device is not found then there is no "connection" happening between the 2....have u posted on the thread where you got the tool?? not trying to fob you off at all its just theres alot methods out there at the moment and i'm doing my best to keep up with them all!!!

I'm using NVFlash from civato's post on how to flash the ICS bootloader. I have a connection because I can launch a shell in ADB and navigate around on my tablet. Also, if I didn't have a connection, "adb devices" would not return any devices. I can also see the device listed in Windows device manager.

I am running the HC bootloader with CM9 ROM. I had been using TeamWin recovery, but found out it is not compatible with the ICS bootloader. I have since replaced that with the ACER Recovery found in the Market. I did another nandroid backup after installing ACER Recovery (thor's recovery) and it gave me a cpuid of 033c20c541a051d7.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I'm using NVFlash from civato's post on how to flash the ICS bootloader. I have a connection because I can launch a shell in ADB and navigate around on my tablet. Also, if I didn't have a connection, "adb devices" would not return any devices. I can also see the device listed in Windows device manager.

yep the usb-adb drivers are all there but you said earlier u have a fail error of device not found from the flash validator, so it sounds like the issue was not the incorrect sbk but the device not found....run the acer driver setup ...windows will install the apx drivers when your tab is ready to enter apx/download mode.

I am running the HC bootloader with CM9 ROM. I had been using TeamWin recovery, but found out it is not compatible with the ICS bootloader. I have since replaced that with the ACER Recovery found in the Market. I did another nandroid backup after installing ACER Recovery (thor's recovery) and it gave me a cpuid of 033c20c541a051d7.

I have no idea why you have so many uid's, if any one knows how exactly these are generated from recovery, i'd love to know!!!!

Reactions: spoupard

spoupard

Apr 6, 2011

yep the usb-adb drivers are all there but you said earlier u have a fail error of device not found from the flash validator, so it sounds like the issue was not the incorrect sbk but the device not found....run the acer driver setup ...windows will install the apx drivers when your tab is ready to enter apx/download mode.

I have no idea why you have so many uid's, if any one knows how exactly these are generated from recovery, i'd love to know!!!!

Well I have to admit that this whole problem was my fault. No matter how many times I read the instructions, I somehow breezed right past the part about entering apx mode. Thank you so much for your help!

dawgpoundfan

Aug 27, 2008
Richmond
I don't have enough numbers

Okay I tried using USBDeview and it came up with a 11 digits - looked where the instructions said.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Okay I tried using USBDeview and it came up with a 11 digits - looked where the instructions said.
Try to run dmesg from yr tab first, ------ hat tip to jp
If you haven't rebooted your Tab for a while, then in the output of dmesg, the very old entries, the ones just after bootup, which contain the entry/line containing 'androidboot.serialno' are lost/overwritten.

Just reboot your Tab & run dmesg again.

Just use the command ''dmesg | grep androidboot.serialno"

Voila! :)

Cheers, Jp

Last edited:

snickle

Sep 6, 2009
I can;t seem to find my cpuid. I am running a custom ics rom, with the HC bootloader.

Do not have a nandroid backup to look at.

dmesg does not show androisboot.serialno after a reboot.

osbdeview shows an 11 digit number.

Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [WALK-THRU][ApxFlash] using A500APXFlashTool to flash the patched bootloader

I have those files also, but since bt's flash tool was getting hung up on loading image, I was just using the manager to get into apx mode then I'd use the go.bat file in the zip from civatos guide. Using that I was at least able to kinda see what it was doing.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
    Well I'm probably not going to be here when you are, so I made up a guide
    Enjoy and happy flashing:):):):)

UPDATE MAY 23

Files you need to download

EDIT: see attachments at bottom of post for download

Ok first d/l blackthund3rs a500 manager and the apkFlash Tool, the apx files, (and icsRoot if u need it)
    the acer drivers run the acer driver setup.exe,
    the adb/fastboot extract to c:/android and they should install automatically....

pls find a post or thread of BT's and Civs', press the thanks button, this makes them really, really happy!!! :D:D:D:D

To Enter APX Mode MANUALLY - Turn your Tab OFF

Righto....You've followed civ's guide and done Steps 1,2,3 and 4
    and you wanna use Blackthund3rs A500 APXFlash Tool.....

The Flashing Process:
    First download these 2 files:

The Tools - Blackthund3r_A500_APXFlash_Tool_v0.4.zip and a500 Manager

You've retrieved your SBK from vaches site OR use a500 Managher , and entered it into the window:

picture.php

and arrived at the Options Window - here we are choosing the top one
    "Use an a500 APX FLASH TOOL PACKAGE (.a500apx)"

picture.php

OK for the next window "PACKAGE SELECT:"
    you need to BROWSE to the folder where you extracted the V3-APX-PACKAGES.zip.

You want the .a500apx file not the .zip file!!!!

picture.php

Choose your package!!!
    picture.php

we're almost there!!!!

EDIT: In the latest 0.4 version you will see the BCT Selection window:
    A couple of peeps have reported that the tool won't dump the bct and aren't sure what to do...
    Blackthund3r suggestion was to hit the blue arrow and carry on....
    If you are using the tool to fix format/partition errors you may run into troubs....
    try using the nvFlash method a pictorial for that is here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1773323

picture.php

To Enter APX Mode MANUALLY - Turn your Tab OFF

Up until 5 mins ago I'd never been able to get the auto mode to work...
    but for the sake of some screenies i tried it again.....
    and guess what, it worked!!!

There's a bit of a trick - Lets go:

Click "Enter APX Mode"

picture.php

you're gonna see the following from the box you clicked on
    .........................extracting resources
    .........................Starting ADB Server
    .........................Enter APX Mode
    .........................Wait 5 Seconds.....
    .........................Killing ADB Server

If you look closely at the power light - it stays off -
    which means we aren't quite in APX Mode yet...

Now this is where the trick comes in......
    where it says "Press to Run Again" -
    thats what we're gonna do - so Press it!!

picture.php

You'll notice that the LED has come on now - woohoo -
    And the screen is black -
    you know what that means?????
    We're in APX Mode!!!!
    You arent gonna see alot on your tab here
    apart from "Entering APX Mode"
    But trust me, just wait it out here for a few minutes...
    If you are watching your PC Screen you might see
    "Entering the bootloader....." straight after this your
    PC will begin the flashing process...

But wait...theres more.....

hhhmmm but what if the LED isnt on???what then???
    If your LED light is not on then STOP!!!:eek:
    Don't turn it off and try again - or worse, try something else:eek::eek:
    Just click "Press to Run Again" and when the LED is on:cool::cool::cool::cool:

If you are having problems in finishing the flashing process, sometimes it helps by
    switching over to nvFlash at this point - this is good for those who can get to APX Mode
    OK but just cant seem to get the rest of the flash to complete

Click the Blue Arrow
    With any luck you should see the
    "Are you ready to Flash?" window:

picture.php

Alrighty, we're about to enter "Download Mode"
    this is where all the magic happens and
    your 'bootloader' actually gets 'patched'.

You do get another chance to cancel at the next window
    but you only have a few seconds to do it...

look for this "entering download mode bootloader........"

picture.php

....your tab will vibrate and written on the top of the screen:
    "Entering APX Mode" woohoo.....

On the PC things start going crazy,
    APXTool Flashing Kernels, Recovery images, System images...
    loading this, formatting that... just let it do its thing.....
    like this:
    picture.php

and this:

picture.php

and....after 4-5 mins max....On your PC you will see the 'Done' Window
    On your Tab in big white letters is PASS
    and in red letters: Reboot the device
    So, Press and hold the Pwr Button to Power Down
    Now simply 'Power On'

picture.php

tah dah......you've flashed that bootie and installed CWM!!!!!!
    When rebooting yr tab you will see some white writing at the top fo the screen
    This tells you what BL version you are running.

You can check this with ARI - Fire it up and check your BL and Recovery Versions.

picture.php

Wasn't so hard after all, was it!!!!

I hope this walk-through has made things a wee bit clearer for you...
    Thinking of doing another for validating your SBK and using nvflash if time and energy permits:)
    If you have any probs just ask away
    Retrieve your CPUID

(1) Use a500Manager Tool (download at bottom of post)
    This tool is your first port of call! It will download the drivers, retrieve your CPUID, and flash the unlocked bootloader.

(2) Using Terminal Emulator

Reboot your tab
    Code:
    dmesg | grep androidboot.serialno
    some have reported this did not work for them but that this one did when they tried it:
    Code:
    dmesg > /mnt/external_sd/dmesg.txt

(3)Using USBDeview
    Suggest you extract to the same folder you used for your adb files,
    USBDeview will only work when you have previously plugged your tab into the PC WHILE
    you were running HC Rom and BL

1 Run the exe and you will be presented with a window of all the USB devices you have ever plugged into your computer.

2 Click on "VendorID" along the top to sort them

3 Look for the number "0502" under VendorID or 3325 "ProductID"

4 In the serial number column will be a 15-digit number this is your device ID

5 Write the number down and put a 0 in front of it and now you have your CPU ID!!!

(4) From your nandroid backup

In the cwm folder on your ext. sd card - open one of your backup folders and look for "uid.txt" file.

From cwm 1.7.2 on, will dislay your "uid" on the menu screen, and from memory TWRP does too.-

(5) Run command "adb devices" in command prompt HC ONLY

(6) From Custom Recovery

Most of the custom recovery's now have your uid displayed on the main screen of the recovery menu

(7) From a working Tab...

open yr file explorer, esfile explorer is a great one....
    navigate to:
    /sys/firmware/fuse/acer_cpuid - add a zero to the front!!! easy peasy;)

(8)From a bricked or non-booting Tab

then things become a little more complex. And more involved if you have no backup.
    The only way is using Linux. srbeen has a guide to do this using code by eppeP. There are those who being Linux noobs have had success with this method.
    Read the whole thread as there are some helpful hints all thru the guide. If you get stuck eppeP is still around and will help out, if you can show an example of
    "how and where" something does not seem to be working for you. If your questions go unanswered its because its been answered before so please go thru the thread!!!

here.
    srbeens guide here

Cannot boot tab because:

(1) "Write Protected - need to enter password
    If you encrypt your data and forget your password - you must do a full data reset wipe to get into your system again

(2) Stuck on the Acer Screen
    From user JDGM3NT4L - Want to return to stock? This is for you...
    A500 Back to Factory Stock the easy way
    - via stock update.zip method
    - no cpuid required,
    - use with or w/out patched bootloader.
    - needs cwm installed
    - full data wipe needed

(3) Other things to check

- check data cables, micro-usb cable required
    - plug in to another USB Port
    - check you have the cable actually connected to both device

Try a different PC. Vista/Win 7/XP usually have no problems, there are issues with Win8 and 64bit systems

Also a heads up for when entering your uid's into the tool generators - a space counts as a character and will produce
    an incorrect sbk!!!

You CANNOT use lowercase letters in your cpuid. If you do lowercase it will give you a different result

Vaches new SBK Tool here OR [/B]

DRIVERS

The drivers are not installed properly, I can hear you all already!! I've done that over and over and its not working!!!!

sometimes if you fail to complete a nvflash you need to completely reinstall the Acer Drivers before it seems to want to finish...ssoooooooo, uninstall and reinstall!!!!

Acer Support for Acer APX/Fastboot/Recovery Drivers
    Android SDK for the adb/USB drivers - You can d/l a mini zip containing just the adb and fastboot drivers attached to this post "adb_fast.zip"

GUIDES
    Civs Guide to flashing the bootloader

walkthrough using apxflash tool at Step 6
    From Civato's OP of The Guide: nvFlashToolPackages

Skrilax_CZ bootloader thread and should be "required reading" for anyone mucking about in their tabs internals!!!!

Rollback to HC
    jazzyjames guide here

Iconia Root/gingerbreak: For returning to Honeycomb

GETTING ADB SET UP

It's a pain typing "my path" into cmd, can't I just type "adb devices"

Set adb as Environment Variable or call adb direct from command prompt

first, copy the path to your install - in this case:

"Path to adb" = C:\android\

1. Click on the Start menu

2. Right click on Computer

3. Click on Advanced system settings

4. Click on the Environment Variables button

5. Look for Path in the System Variables section. Double click on it

6. Go to the end of the Variable value box and put in a semicolon ;

7. Now paste your "Path to adb" after the ;

8. it should look like this in this case C:\android\adb

9. Now test it out - start - run/search - cmd - in cmd window type: adb devices

10. If you've followed the steps you will see your device ID - voila!!!!

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    I added a link to this in the V3 guide.
    Thanks for this.
    I added a link to this in the V3 guide.
    Thanks for this.
    Why thank you...all good civ, anything to help really:)
    Major thanks to the xda brethren. Especially dibb_nz, Vache, Jasto, Civato, Scrilax,eppeP, blacthund3r, Moscow Desire, and Timmydeans. I have snatched another A500 out of the jaws of despair. It looked like the tab had a motherboard failure, but before I gave up I just hunkered down, read some more and hit it with all the tools and techniques from the techiens here. Finally raised the tab back to HC this morning. I was getting the can't read Sdcard error but then was getting funky reads on the internal memory as well. Thanks again folks. Want to also shout out JazzyJ and Srbeen. It takes a village to raise a unruly A500 :D