[ROM]UPDATE[HC 3.2.1][A501] Moscow's Alexandra III Rev 1.1 [27-01-12]

Search This thread

thevilish

Feb 29, 2008
Micro HDMI to HDMI Adaptors are on ebay quite cheap....

I have one bought in some German network shop, here in Poland. Just connected to my hdmi cable to tv (aquos quattron with no 3d) and it works!
Fired up youtube with my fav video of Danny MacAskill performing his "Way back home" ;) and then played Zen Pinball game, also good - but for that I should have 5m cable because of pixelation I see sitting 20cm infront of tv ;)

elless

May 14, 2010
acer iconia ha 501

SALVE RAGZZI MA ICS PER IL NOSTRO ACER A 501 CE INGIRO E STABILE QUALE MI CONSIGLIATE VENESONO GRADO PER TUTTO QUELLO CHE FATE GRAZIE MILLE:confused:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
You people are way too much!!!! :D

Oh, back to HDMI, I got a micro cable today. $50 for a Belkin!!!!!! :mad:

Welcome to Moscow and Moscow prices.

Result, Alex IV HDMI works great. Note: I had to select the numbered external port from the TV. It only auto detects from the main HDMI Input. Sharp Aquos 32".

Also, I set up a new Phillips 40" the other month for a neighbor, and to get DVD and Sat receiver going, you have to actually PROGRAM the Devices into the TV!!!!!!!
Like adding new hardware in Win95!!!! Only it ain't Plug-n-Pray. What a pain. So maybe with some of the newer sets, you have to program the ext device into it.

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
you people are way too much!!!! :d

oh, back to hdmi, i got a micro cable today. $50 for a belkin!!!!!! :mad:

Welcome to moscow and moscow prices.

Result, alex iv hdmi works great. Note: I had to select the numbered external port from the tv. It only auto detects from the main hdmi input. Sharp aquos 32".

Also, i set up a new phillips 40" the other month for a neighbor, and to get dvd and sat receiver going, you have to actually program the devices into the tv!!!!!!!
Like adding new hardware in win95!!!! Only it ain't plug-n-pray. What a pain. So maybe with some of the newer sets, you have to program the ext device into it.
MD put the baby down and check your pm's ! :D

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Where to download kernel source for Alexandra III. I want to watch DVB-T on the Tablet...

You will have to get it from RichardTrip's kernel thread in the Dev Forum. Look about 3 pages and you should see his kernel thread. He is the Developer for the current kernel, and he should have all the links you need.

MD

Reactions: bozomil

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Does this mean that Villain iconia kernel 3.7 will work with Alexandra III Rev 1.1. ROM

No. You will get display freeze and SOD.

The issue, is that you have a 501, so understand this;

Most Devs and Modders, only have the a500. So they do their work only for a500's. Hence, they don't have to deal with internal 3g.

In their quest to get the longest battery life with OC (OC/UV) they usually undervolt way too much. Runs fine on a 500, but the result is display freeze and SOD on the 501. Just not enough voltage to the system board to maintain stable 3g.

You can install the 3.7+. The tab will run. For a while. But, will bet a years worth of paychecks it will freeze under 3g. Been there, done that. The 3.5 and 3.6 just aren't much better. This includes Tegra Owners as well. Same thing (although I heard he upped the voltage a little, but I never tried it). It may be 1 hr, it may be a few hrs, but, it will freeze eventually. Don't be surprised if you lose some widgets after the reboot.

You can try running SystemTuner or another CPU app, and try playing with voltages. Might work. Might not. In the end, you'll have another app running eating battery power. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

bluephi1914

Oct 4, 2010
Georgia
Hey Moscow, I was wondering when there is finally an official release of ICS will you make a ROM similar to this one. where I don't have to change bootloader etc. also From what I understand most of the Leaked ICS are buggy, not saying your ROM is buggy but i would like to wait until there is something official.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hey Moscow, I was wondering when there is finally an official release of ICS will you make a ROM similar to this one. where I don't have to change bootloader etc. also From what I understand most of the Leaked ICS are buggy, not saying your ROM is buggy but i would like to wait until there is something official.

BUGGY?????????????????????? nawww......... :D

Actually, mine is running pretty good (if you ignore the 3g issue on occassion).

Tell you what. Civato posted a 501 kernel which should allow you to boot on an HC bootloader. 1 person tried it a few days ago, but, I think he just flashed over the top or something. Said it had performance issues.

I will put it in my rom, but..... you will have to test it. And.... I am not going to support it (very much). You will get the typical weird boot screen like the 500 HC users.

Will PM you the link when I post it. (if I can still find the kernel)

Sent from my Galaxy SII

bozomil

Sep 22, 2009
Sesvete
No. You will get display freeze and SOD.

The issue, is that you have a 501, so understand this;

Most Devs and Modders, only have the a500. So they do their work only for a500's. Hence, they don't have to deal with internal 3g.

In their quest to get the longest battery life with OC (OC/UV) they usually undervolt way too much. Runs fine on a 500, but the result is display freeze and SOD on the 501. Just not enough voltage to the system board to maintain stable 3g.

You can install the 3.7+. The tab will run. For a while. But, will bet a years worth of paychecks it will freeze under 3g. Been there, done that. The 3.5 and 3.6 just aren't much better. This includes Tegra Owners as well. Same thing (although I heard he upped the voltage a little, but I never tried it). It may be 1 hr, it may be a few hrs, but, it will freeze eventually. Don't be surprised if you lose some widgets after the reboot.

You can try running SystemTuner or another CPU app, and try playing with voltages. Might work. Might not. In the end, you'll have another app running eating battery power. Sort of defeats the purpose.

richardtrip sad "since v3.3 this kernel has been "Complete rebase to official acer A501 3.2 kernel (a501 should work now)"

Anyway, my interest is DVB-T not the frequency and the battery. With Alexander 's kernel my dvb-t usb Afatech AF9015 DVB-T (/etc/firmware/dvb-usb-af9015.fw) recognized as a keyboard on usb port 1.1.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
richardtrip sad "since v3.3 this kernel has been "Complete rebase to official acer A501 3.2 kernel (a501 should work now)"

Anyway, my interest is DVB-T not the frequency and the battery. With Alexander 's kernel my dvb-t usb Afatech AF9015 DVB-T (/etc/firmware/dvb-usb-af9015.fw) recognized as a keyboard on usb port 1.1.

Richard should buy a 501 :D Note he said "a501 should work now" Yes it works. Run it on 3g for awhile like I said, and it freezes.

Can't help you with your stick. Not my area of expertise. You should be able to flash the kernel and see if it recognizes it like it should though.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
No, I did full wipe with dalvik. ;) With ICS BL have waaay better performance!
With HC DL I had lots of freezes.
Maybe other kernels have less problems.

Good you wiped. I put together a build with it. One person (500) says it ran just fine. (doesn't have the 3g though). I'm not too sure about flashing kernels with ICS. I didn't have any luck with flashing a kernel on the ICS bootloader so I put it into a build.

But with the HC kernel, it's probably some stuff missing what the 3g needs.

Anybody interested in trying an HC bootloader ICS build, let me know and I'll pm a link. Might work. Might not :D:D:D:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moscow Desire's Android 3.2.1 Alexandra III Ver 1.1 ROM OC/UV Kernel

A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL

Note: This is for the Acer A501, and not the A500. 500 users can run this, but you will need to modify the build.prop file to reflect Wifi-only. (ro.carrier=wifi-only). You can add this line near the end of build.prop. Folder System/ You can do this on your pc, before you install.

I won't fill this page with all types of fancy colors on every line, or huge pictures, or "ultra" huge fonts. You people are not little kids. So no need to use 50 different colors. I'll just tell you like it is (and I'll do it in 3 colors or less)

Added Installation Changes Update

Pure HC 3.2.1

I'll tell what I noticed, and between 3.2 and 3.2.1, it's this.....

Improved Performance in the Apps Drawer. Almost "0" lag time. Increased screen sensitivity. (compared to stock 3.2)

This has been tested on my Tablet with no problems so far, as with other testers. All stock apps, and games, work as advertised.

Why do you want to use this Rom? Well, not a lot out there for the 501, and seems nobody wants to do anything about it. Too focused on the a500 or ICS.
    Not to mention it's 3.2.1, And it's a "factory released a501 rom", and I have stripped most of the memory and battery eating pigs out of it.

The only thing left running in Processes after install, is;

Google Services
    Digital Clock (people want their alarm clock)
    Android Keyboard

This is not a "system dump". 100% pure Acer Release.

Yes, there are a couple of 501 roms. But other than 1 or 2 that I know is pure 501 HC 3.2, I ask, do you want to use a 500 rom that was modified to be a 501? Do you wish your display to freeze when you're on 3g because of a mismatched kernel? Do you want a system dumped rom?

Or would you rather have a factory delivered Rom?

We have tested this Rom, and it holds true to as much stock as possible. Addition of a custom kernel, which has been tested, allows a ratio of clock speed vs battery life. Yes, there is 1 other kernel to use, but unfortunately, I cannot post this rom using it.

For NTFS External drive support, download Drive Mount from the market (tested and works) Fat32 support is normal without Drive Mount.

For Ad-hoc support, I think by now, anybody who needs it, knows where to get it.

If you cannot get GPS for some reason, you can try the 1st link in the forum. Lately, seems nobody needs this anymore since 3.2 release.

This release based on Acer_A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL. RichardTrip kernel based on longer battery life with OC speed with undervoltage. Min, 216, Max 1646.

For Credits, I would like to thank:
    KJY2010- As usual for his helpful advice and great insight, and for being my friend.
    RichardTrip - Kernel (src lnk on his page)
    JaeKar99- Boot animation. (and NO, I will not change it) you can though.

Special thanks to these people for testing, to make sure I didn't mess things up, and this is in NO order;

Ordio
    Anthrax132
    Erik_T

Thanks for checking things for me, and tolerating some slow download times ;)

Core 3.2.1 is unmodified, except for the Framework-res,for default wallpaper. All core files are 100% Acer.

Languages Supported
    Cestina
    Dansk
    Deutsch
    English
    Espanol
    Francais
    Italiano
    Nederlands
    Norsk Bokmal
    Polski
    Portugues
    Suomi
    Svenska
    Russian
    Arabic (not sure which dialect)

What works.... everything that is included.What doesn't work, nothing that I can see.

What's removed:

Just about everything Acer. And I mean it.
    All Acer games.
    All the useless Acer things that may be a process.

Apps Installed:
    Other than the usual SU and Busybox...
    Asus Weather
    AdFree (update your host files)
    Bluetooth File Transfer
    CPU Master Free
    Root Explorer (free)
    Hackers Keyboard
    MX Video Player w/codecs
    Terminal
    SDrescan
    Card games (I love these things when I'm bored)

Acer apps moved to Data for easy removal
    Acer Media
    Acer Aupeo
    File Manager HD
    Kobo
    LumiRead
    Google Voice
    TegraZone Games
    Zinio Reader
    Game Loft store
    3D Photo Browser
    (note that 3D Photo Browser is a useless app, but I left it in Data in case somebody thinks it's cool. Note that after you run it, it resides in system memory until you remove the app or kill the process.)

Note: I removed the Acer Media Player(s) as they stayed in memory as a process after you ended the program, and are memory pigs. I would advise to use WinAmp from the Android Market to play audio files, or whatever audio player you wish.

All Photos were taken after initial install.

GPS taken next to window (not open).

AnTuTu Benchmark was taken after initial Install while on Internal 3g.

Installation:

For Thor's CWM
    1. Wipe User Data
    2. Wipe Cache
    3. Wipe DalviK
    4. Wipe Battery Stats

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage

1. Format System
    2. Format Cache
    3. Format Dalvik
    4. Format Flexrom (optional, depending on version, you may not need to do this)

Select Go Back and select Install from Zip File

Select Alexandra III Rev 1.1.zip

For RA Recovery

UPDATE NOTE: Version 3.14 does not have the option to Format Flexrom. This is what caused the animation loop on first flashing. I advise to update to version 3.15

(3.14)
    Wipe;
    Data/Factory Reset
    Data
    Cache
    Android.secure
    Dalvik

(3.15) This should take care of animation loop
    Wipe;
    Data/Factory Reset
    Dalvik
    System

Select Go Back and select Install from Zip File

Select Alexandra III Rev 1.1.zip

NOTE: you may get an Offset error xxxx. Ignore it. Seems common these days. After installation is complete, Go Back, and Reboot system.

If you get stuck at the Boot-Animation, just reboot to recovery, wipe "data, dalvik, system and cache" then Install again. It seems Acer, changed some things for the 3.2.1 501 install. You do not need to format anything.

You'll see a small "flash" during the Acer Logo. This is normal, as it is the custom kernel loading. Also, when running for the first time, you will get an "OK" prompt as the "Acer" (cough cough) APKinstaller finishes.

The Default Language is Poliski (Polish) so you can change it in the beginning. No, I am not going to change it, as it's a TMPL, and I have no idea which country you are from.

For Overclocking, use CpuMaster and set your CPU speed. 1504 is what I run the most. Set your governor to "on demand" or "Interactive" for longer battery life. Set to "Apply at Boot". If you don't like CPUMaster, then you are free to uninstall it, and Use SetCpu or PimpMyCpu.

Disclaimer:

You flash this Rom at your own risk. If you follow the instructions exactly, there is no reason why you should have issues installing the Rom. If you feel you are smarter than the instructions, and can save a little time by bypassing some steps, don't come crying. Figure it out.

Titanium Backup users, I don't want to hear it. And this goes for anybody else running 2.3 Gingerbread apps on Honeycomb. It is much better, to download an app fresh. Google loves you.

Tasker users, don't even bother. Learn the system.

Of course, all comments are welcome, good or bad.

Still giving Life, to the 501!

Download Link

Now. for removed game apps.

Note, you will have to unzip the file to your PC. Copy The game.apk to your Data/app folder, check permissions (should be the same as all other apps), and install. I do not know which ones you want, so I offer them in a zip file.

DOWNLOAD ACER GAMES

For Acer System Apps I removed. Unzip to your PC. Copy the apk (and associated Odex file if there) to your System/App folder. Check permissions (same as the other apps), then reboot tablet.

I do not offer 100% promise these will run correctly. They should. But if you have issues, let me know. Some system apps, depend on others to run.

Also note, that some of these system apps, will continue to run in memory as a process after using. That's why I removed them.

DOWNLOAD ACER SYSTEM APPS SERVER 1

This is the last ROM I will work on for HC 3.2.x. However, if you have a link to a different COM_GEN a501 rom, that nobody has worked on, and you need it, I will be happy to strip it down. Just send me the link.

ICS will be coming in a couple of months, and I doubt Acer will do anymore updates to HC. I have enjoyed playing with these Roms, and I have enjoyed communicating with everybody. But it's time to move to better things. So I hope this rom, gives you much pleasure.

May it run stable and trouble free.

Moscow Desire.

BATTERY MODS​

Note: these are ONLY for Alexandra III, or a rom using the same TMPL build. Any use of these mods on another rom, will produce some very strange results.

Special Thanks - Ordio We finally got them de- and re-compiled!

Ok,these are the same as in Alexandra II. Nice and clean.

INSTALLATION

Wipe Battery Stats
    Install Mod

All Blue Circular Mod

Multi-color Circular Mod

Dotted Blue Circular Mod

Return to Stock Battery
    MD, I'm so boring coz no problem found with ur Alex III ;-) I need something to update, long time no see the recovery screen :)

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk

For me, that is good news!!!!

Will post an update maybe this weekend. Just a couple of things, nothing big.
    Hi MD :)

I am happilly running your Alexandra II, it is great ROM, so I plan to upgrade to Alexandra III. Just a question, are you going to provide us with circle battery theme?

Thanks a lot.. Petr

Hopefully, I will get a battery mod soon. DO NOT use Alexandra II battery mod, as it is a different framework and systemUI.

Glad you like the previous II. I like it also. 4 months, and it always worked without any errors. It's kind of special to me.

Moscow
    yeah i get the H+ icon, I hope thats what you mean....

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

and if this helps anyone could you please thank me, I Just wanna make sum rep...lol
    Battery Mods are Up

BATTERY MODS are UP!!!! See original post! Enjoy!

:D:D