[MOD] 2.3.6/7 Video Recording audio improvement -- WIP

Search This thread

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi everyone

when you record a video on your original SGS 4G camera, your audio sampling is :
66 kbps bit rate.
16 KHz sample rate.

which is pretty lame...
If you ever tried to record live shows or concerts, you probably noticed audio is awful on recorded video...

Introducing Video Recording audio improvement MOD
found and very well explained by rafalense (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10980448&postcount=268).

Performed on SGS 4G camera by me. So, now recorded audio sampling is :
118 kbps bit rate.
32 KHz sample rate.

file size change is barely noticed.
Still camera is not modified.

I took, as a basis, the Team Acid modified camera - done by DSexton702.
So it is capable of taking pictures when battery is low and also by using the power button.

This is still in beta as :
1. Currently Audio-Video is out of sync. I need to check if this can be fixed by changing Video sampling rate....
In the meanwhile, you can fix this on PC very easily.

2. This mod does not use the media profile xml for greater video frame rate.
I actually put the original file back. I found the result to be not supported by all players and having some side effects like visual waves (and much larger file size).
3. Actually I examined DSexton702 media profile and it defines some various audio sample rates but always create 16KHz at the end.

If someone here has the knowledge in A/V synchronization or a good setup that works - please let me know so i will fix it.

Thanks.

CWM Flashable files to download (Camcorder mod and original camcorder to revert back) :

Attachments

• Camcorder_MOD.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 381
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 374
  • Original_Camcorder.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Now having AntonX kernel supporting Vodoo Sound - I will test audio HiFi record option enabled on video recording and update.

Eurik

Apr 26, 2012
Would love to see this become final. You certainly are right about the audio during concert recording. All we hear is pure bass... Thank you for working on a much needed video recording mod.

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Edit : guys working with Voodoo sound (with supporting kernel)
need to run the Voodoo sound app and choose 'Recording Preset' - then change default to 'Loud environment - with DRC'
This should improve the recording level of loud shows.

Last edited:

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi

Did anyone here test this MOD with live concert recording ?
If it doesn't help than I'll drop all further work.

I thought this problem is SGS 4G unique, but it turns out it exists on all Sammy phones,
even Nexus and SGS 2. See this bounty thread for SGS 2 :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1172048

and this :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=896826
I'll try to ask AntonX to take a look or maybe ask supercurio on kernel implementation...

I also tried installing LGCamera from the market, which supposingly has an audio gain control, but it fails to launch and I had to uninstall it.

Last edited:

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Edit : guys working with Voodoo sound (with supporting kernel)
need to run the Voodoo sound app and choose 'Recording Preset' - then change default to 'Loud environment - with DRC'
This should improve the recording level of loud shows.

After voodoo digital recording, video and audio are repacked and converted to the device analog sampling rates, that this tweak changes (but also unsyncs)...
So if you have the time and effort, I'd appreciate if you share your experience with us all.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338970823481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338970823481.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1338970842756.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338970842756.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone

when you record a video on your original SGS 4G camera, your audio sampling is :
    66 kbps bit rate.
    16 KHz sample rate.

which is pretty lame...
    If you ever tried to record live shows or concerts, you probably noticed audio is awful on recorded video...

Introducing Video Recording audio improvement MOD
    found and very well explained by rafalense (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10980448&postcount=268).

Performed on SGS 4G camera by me. So, now recorded audio sampling is :
    118 kbps bit rate.
    32 KHz sample rate.

file size change is barely noticed.
    Still camera is not modified.

I took, as a basis, the Team Acid modified camera - done by DSexton702.
    So it is capable of taking pictures when battery is low and also by using the power button.

This is still in beta as :
    1. Currently Audio-Video is out of sync. I need to check if this can be fixed by changing Video sampling rate....
    In the meanwhile, you can fix this on PC very easily.

2. This mod does not use the media profile xml for greater video frame rate.
    I actually put the original file back. I found the result to be not supported by all players and having some side effects like visual waves (and much larger file size).
    3. Actually I examined DSexton702 media profile and it defines some various audio sample rates but always create 16KHz at the end.

If someone here has the knowledge in A/V synchronization or a good setup that works - please let me know so i will fix it.

Thanks.

CWM Flashable files to download (Camcorder mod and original camcorder to revert back) :
    Awesome work! Thanks.
    Glad to have u aboard thanks for this man this is well needed!!!!!:D