Questions about Unlocking or Recovering from a Soft Brick? LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTING!!

Search This thread

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
I felt the need to create a thread explaining things a bit better. Lets get started shall we!!

1) As most folks know the I605 Galaxy Note 2 shipped with a locked bootloader. This means you Can Not flash any custom roms/kernels/ or recoveries until you unlock the bootloader!! Failure to comply will result in a yellow triangle stating "unsupported software detected"!

2) If you flashed custom software on your device without unlocking, please refer to Section 1B of my GUIDE in development section. This will bring your device back up and running in stock condition!!

3) Now you can proceed to Adams latest "Jailbreak" thread for for rooting/unlocking/flashing a custom recovery. Make sure to only use the method that applies to the firmware/bootloader version that was previously on your device.

VRAMC3 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066

VRALL4 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

VRALJB- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2043636 (Unless you purchased this device within the first month of release, and never accepted a OTA, Do Not use this link).

4) And last of all, folks never accept any OTA's!! There is no reason to!! Now that your device has been rooted, unlocked, and running twrp recovery, you can now download any latest update.zip from the dev section and flash in recovery. The Devs here are always fast at packaging up the OTA into a zip format so we can update via cwm or twrp recovery. There are a couple reasons why I prefer this method,

1. Future OTA updates may relock the device permanently! There is no gurantee a unlock method will be achieved for the next OTA.

2. .Zip roms are normally smaller, so they take less time to download and imo are easier to install.

3. OTA's can sometimes fail and soft brick the device.

So please read through this thread thoroughly and remember research twice, flash once! Hopefully this helps...:good:

**Also Note the VRUEMJ9 4.3 OTA update locked the bootloader and there is no current unlock method**

Last edited:

yeyah

Mar 21, 2013
Error while using Casual R311b

Noob here. Just got my Note II, on VRALL4

I am trying to unlock using the Adam's instructions to the letter (and viewing the instructional video), but I keep getting

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!Your device should be rebooting into Android now.

The phone stays in download mode and never reboots back into Android. I've tried different USB ports, installed the drivers from Samsung Kies (I uninstalled the Kies software after getting the drivers). Tried searching through the instructional thread, but couldn't find any concrete answers. Not sure what to try next.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Noob here. Just got my Note II, on VRALL4

I am trying to unlock using the Adam's instructions to the letter (and viewing the instructional video), but I keep getting

ERROR: Protocol initialisation failed!Your device should be rebooting into Android now.

The phone stays in download mode and never reboots back into Android. I've tried different USB ports, installed the drivers from Samsung Kies (I uninstalled the Kies software after getting the drivers). Tried searching through the instructional thread, but couldn't find any concrete answers. Not sure what to try next.

I haven't followed the new instructions yet, but have you tried manually turning your phone back on to see if it will just pick back up in the process?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

yeyah

Mar 21, 2013
I haven't followed the new instructions yet, but have you tried manually turning your phone back on to see if it will just pick back up in the process?

The only way to get my phone to boot back into Android is to disconnect the USB cable, pull the battery, and boot it. After removing the USB cable, Casual still shows "DEVICE CONNECTED".

yeyah

Mar 21, 2013
Thought it might. Did it do Odin for you if not make sure auto reboot is checked before starting.

No, I don't believe this newest Casual uses Odin. It's just a(n almost) one-click solution. No checkboxes (see initial post in this thread for a link to the thread containing the new Casual).

Is there another way to root/unlock VRALL4? I'd be happy to try out more complex methods, as this doesn't seem to be working.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
No, I don't believe this newest Casual uses Odin. It's just a(n almost) one-click solution. No checkboxes (see initial post in this thread for a link to the thread containing the new Casual).

Is there another way to root/unlock VRALL4? I'd be happy to try out more complex methods, as this doesn't seem to be working.

I know where the post is but haven't used it yet. No this is the only way, except maybe an older version of casual. Maybe someone who's used it will be by soon to help.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
yea the one click method seems to be having issues for some...maybe adam can put the other method back up until the kinks are worked out. sorry wish i could be of more help.

RoNStiZz

Mar 26, 2013
stuck on yellow triangle stating firmware problems

Hi all..i recently tried to unlock the bootloader however did not know the file i used was not compatible with the latest OTA. When using ODin the phone fails at the sboot.bin...now i can still get into the ODin menu but thats it. Ive been reading several threads and the only solution Ive seen was that the device would get its data wiped. However I have many sentimental things on the device, would there be a way for me to recover all that data. I thought I had backed all files onto my sd card but not all the files got transferred. Any help or tips would be appreciated thank you

RoNStiZz

Mar 26, 2013
Recovery

Thanks!:good: Will try this method and will post the results....I downloaded the root66 file but ODin is not recognizing the file so I'm not able to load it...
Alright so I realized i needed to extract the file, I did so followed directions and YES my phone is working again. Now I just need to run a recovery and hopefully everything will go back to how it was before i soft bricked my phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I felt the need to create a thread explaining things a bit better. Lets get started shall we!!

1) As most folks know the I605 Galaxy Note 2 shipped with a locked bootloader. This means you Can Not flash any custom roms/kernels/ or recoveries until you unlock the bootloader!! Failure to comply will result in a yellow triangle stating "unsupported software detected"!

2) If you flashed custom software on your device without unlocking, please refer to Section 1B of my GUIDE in development section. This will bring your device back up and running in stock condition!!

3) Now you can proceed to Adams latest "Jailbreak" thread for for rooting/unlocking/flashing a custom recovery. Make sure to only use the method that applies to the firmware/bootloader version that was previously on your device.

VRAMC3 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066

VRALL4 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118348

VRALJB- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2043636 (Unless you purchased this device within the first month of release, and never accepted a OTA, Do Not use this link).

4) And last of all, folks never accept any OTA's!! There is no reason to!! Now that your device has been rooted, unlocked, and running twrp recovery, you can now download any latest update.zip from the dev section and flash in recovery. The Devs here are always fast at packaging up the OTA into a zip format so we can update via cwm or twrp recovery. There are a couple reasons why I prefer this method,

1. Future OTA updates may relock the device permanently! There is no gurantee a unlock method will be achieved for the next OTA.

2. .Zip roms are normally smaller, so they take less time to download and imo are easier to install.

3. OTA's can sometimes fail and soft brick the device.

So please read through this thread thoroughly and remember research twice, flash once! Hopefully this helps...:good:

**Also Note the VRUEMJ9 4.3 OTA update locked the bootloader and there is no current unlock method**
    now if we can just get it stickied!!

I see no reason why it can't be. :D

Good job, just be sure to keep up to date with it. :good::highfive:
    i dont think you can use the stock file as everyone that has used it once they take the ota's to vramc3 it bricks i would say if your gonna do it use the alternate ive tried the stock and it will work but as soon as u update past ll4 your screwed! i dont even think the alternate will get you past ll4 without a brick but i havent tried that yet. maybe someone else has that can chime in. good luck

Well before the VRAMC3 update, if you were unlocked, one could full odin restore back to VRALJB and then OTA update. If you were locked and on VRALL4 then the alternate restore could be used to revert back and then OTA. However something has changed apparently on the latest update and I believe it has to do with PIT checking in odin. In a normal situation I would spend a day or 2 trying every method to figure out what works and does not. Unfortunately with Verizon patching every OTA and trying to permanently lock us out of our devices, I am not willing to take that gamble. I need my device to work and my LTE is my only internet so I can not afford to have it down.

That being said, Don't take any OTA's as I have been preaching since day 1!! We can still use odin to get back to a fresh clean install(alternate restore or root66), but dont OTA, just use recovery for updates. For the folks who want to return thier devices to stock locked bloated for resale, well sorry your out of luck at his time. I suggest changing carriers if this is a issue...I am seriously thinking about Tmobile in the future because this **** is getting rediculous and ATT is jumping on the locked bootloader bandwagon as well. The bottom line is carriers do not want thier customers having root privlidges and modding thier devices... rooting and roming coming to a end on domestic carriers.

This will probably be the last device I write guides for on Verizon because its too much of a headache to keep up with. Especially since Samsung is not releasing the Odin firmware restore packages anymore. Which is making things a huge PIA!! I do not know what the hell they are thinking, all this is creating more problems than anything...full blown retarded!!
    This was way overdue good work droidstyle

Been using a Note ll on Beans ROM for about 18 months. Phone died on Monday and I have been trying without any success to root the replacement. Odin fails to write to the phone. Phone was delivered with stock 4.4.2.
    I did not use Odin originally. Don't know how I rooted it
    I am completely lost as to where to start..
    Reinstalled drivers a number of times. Odin sees the phone, but that's it..
    Help please!

Sorry to say, but there's no current root method and no current bootloader unlock method that you can use for our Verizon Note 2's running Kit Kat 4.4.2. For now, you are stuck with stock. The last Android build for our phones that you can root and unlock the bootloader on is 4.1.2. Android version 4.3 is rootable, but no bootloader unlock.