[Q] 4.13.651.4 Bluetooth won't activate

Search This thread

whoshodade

Aug 27, 2010
Hello all,

I just wiped and installed 4.13.651.4 rooted stock odex upgrade from captain throwback's release. Previously coming from 4.13.651.1. I used titanium backup to backup everything from previous installation, then restored everything from that release once upgraded. That screwed a bunch of stuff up because I restored all system and data as well as user apps and data. Wiped that out and reinstalled fresh, this time restoring all user apps and data, and only system data. For whatever reason, bluetooth will not operate. Everything else is fine. I cannot figure out how to reinstall only bluetooth files so that it works properly. So far the steps I've taken were to snag the following files from the 4.13.651.4 installation zip from the system/app folder in the zip:

Bluetooth.apk
Bluetooth.odex
HtcBluetoothLeProfiles.apk
HtcBluetoothLeProfiles.odex
HtcBtWidget.apk
HtcBtWidget.odex
Nfc.apk
Nfc.odex

I unzipped these with root explorer, then copied and pasted them into the ROOT/system/app folder after switching to "Mount R/W" in the system/app folder. Once the new files were in place, I changed permissions on all 6 files to be rw-r--r-- just like all the rest of the files. Rebooted phone, bluetooth still doesn't work. Are there any other files that I would've inadvertently have replaced or modified from the previous 4.13.651.1 files that controls bluetooth operation? I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to have to wipe and do over AGAIN!!!

Please help!!

Last edited:

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
Why are you replacing BT system files? Those aren't part of the TB backup, are they? Did BT work before you started restoring things from your previous install? I would suggest only restoring user apps and within that only the user data you really need to keep. Restore data for apps one-by-one, not all at once. Don't restore system data unless you know it's not going to interfere with what is already there. TB is almost too powerful for its own good when it comes to batch backup and restore. You gotta learn what to exclude and what you really want to migrate to a new install.

But mostly start fresh and make sure BT works before you start restoring anything.

whoshodade

Aug 27, 2010
Why are you replacing BT system files? Those aren't part of the TB backup, are they? Did BT work before you started restoring things from your previous install? I would suggest only restoring user apps and within that only the user data you really need to keep. Restore data for apps one-by-one, not all at once. Don't restore system data unless you know it's not going to interfere with what is already there. TB is almost too powerful for its own good when it comes to batch backup and restore. You gotta learn what to exclude and what you really want to migrate to a new install.

But mostly start fresh and make sure BT works before you start restoring anything.

It did work before I started messing with stuff. I'm restoring BT system files hoping it would work again. I don't really know what TB backs up when its set up backup everything. After first time I did restore items one by one and that's what screwed up BT in the first place. I figured putting original files back in system folder would fix it, but it didn't. I only restored system data one by one to try not to have to set up my phones settings again including BT pairings. Guess I've got egg on my face now. Any ideas?

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
It did work before I started messing with stuff. I'm restoring BT system files hoping it would work again. I don't really know what TB backs up when its set up backup everything. After first time I did restore items one by one and that's what screwed up BT in the first place. I figured putting original files back in system folder would fix it, but it didn't. I only restored system data one by one to try not to have to set up my phones settings again including BT pairings. Guess I've got egg on my face now. Any ideas?

If it was me, I'd do a factory reset or just reinstall the ROM (try dirty flash, if that doesn't work then wipe and start clean), then restore only user apps. In TB you can do a batch restore, but then uncheck apps you don't want to restore. I wouldn't reinstall any data from anything. If you open a user app and it turns out you don't have the data you want, then go in and restore data for just that app.

Restoring system apps and data is asking for trouble, IMHO.

whoshodade

Aug 27, 2010
If it was me, I'd do a factory reset or just reinstall the ROM (try dirty flash, if that doesn't work then wipe and start clean), then restore only user apps. In TB you can do a batch restore, but then uncheck apps you don't want to restore. I wouldn't reinstall any data from anything. If you open a user app and it turns out you don't have the data you want, then go in and restore data for just that app.

Restoring system apps and data is asking for trouble, IMHO.

Thats what I was trying to avoid.... if there was a way to break it, theres gotta be a way to fix it.

SilverZero

May 18, 2010
Thats what I was trying to avoid.... if there was a way to break it, theres gotta be a way to fix it.

Sure, replace the files you restored or copied over with the originals. My assumption is that the files that are "broken" are the ones that got overwritten when you restored and/or copied into /system from the previous install. They have to be replaced with the original files and data. That would involve extracting them from the original ROM and copying them back into place. I don't know how to go about that. I'd cut my losses and reinstall. If you have a TB backup already, you'll only be out the half-hour it takes to re-flash and restore things. Like I said, you can try a dirty flash, wipe caches only, try a factory reset, etc. I personally would wipe and re-flash clean, because I hate wondering if there are still any ghosts in the machine when I encounter problems like this.

whoshodade

Aug 27, 2010
Sure, replace the files you restored or copied over with the originals. My assumption is that the files that are "broken" are the ones that got overwritten when you restored and/or copied into /system from the previous install. They have to be replaced with the original files and data. That would involve extracting them from the original ROM and copying them back into place. I don't know how to go about that. I'd cut my losses and reinstall. If you have a TB backup already, you'll only be out the half-hour it takes to re-flash and restore things. Like I said, you can try a dirty flash, wipe caches only, try a factory reset, etc. I personally would wipe and re-flash clean, because I hate wondering if there are still any ghosts in the machine when I encounter problems like this.

I thought i did that... I dont know what other items affect BT

Sh3llSh0ck

May 29, 2012
I am having issues on a clean install. Haven't connected to Bluetooth since I got the phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk