C#, VB, Ruby, F#, and Python on Android (via Mono and DLR)

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Koush would know more than I would, but installing mono shouldn't affect everything else on Android. It's not like everything is suddenly using mono instead of dalvik. I suspect you have a strong case of the placebo effect :)

Strangely, there's a lot of people on the Android Market claiming the same thing.

Then again, most people on the Android Market are crazy

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
The fact that its only command line based would probably limit its popularity.

However, would it be possible to have a java application front end with the android gui that accesses the mono application via some APIs? Is that possible?

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
That's exactly what I'm working on next. By writing the DLR bindings for Java, you can write GUI applications in any language, because the Java APIs would be usable.

hustla

Feb 12, 2009
.Net Dll inside eclipse

I have a .Net dll that i would like to access from java via eclipse. Read a little about this project and was hoping this is possible. I'm currently setup on a windows box so not sure if i can compile mono on this box or not. Can you guys give me a starting point on how i can access this dlls methods inside eclipse ? The dll i have is over 50000 lines of code and its using a bunch of unsigned ints and logic operations so im scared to covert to java since i don't think there is any support for unsigned ints in java and god only knows what i would have to convert to get all the logic operations to work.

hustla

Feb 12, 2009
Found one of your posts

I was looking at this post and it appears thats exactly what i need.
(http://www.koushikdutta.com/2009/02/monodalvik-interop.html)
Is there any way since im on a windows box to download the build outputs and include them in my eclipse project and then include System.dll and my dll into the assets folder. Any help would be greatfull and if this works i owe you guys 50000 lines of work and would praise you for a long time :).

hustla

Feb 12, 2009
A little more progress

I downloaded TortoiseSVN to get the source code which worked great and i ran your MonoBridge program in eclipse which ran correctly so i think im on the right path. I will have to find a copy of vs 2008 as im guessing thats what your c# program is wrote in. I'm hoping i can figure it out from here i may write up a step by step for windows users once get all this going. Thanks for all the hard work and keep it coming :)

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
Glad it worked out for you. Let me know if you still need help in accessing the C# DLL from Java code. That is all complete as well (I'm still working on accessing Java from C#).