[DISCONTINUED] Lum's debloated, deblurred stock JB ROM with inverted GApps [V1.2.1]

Search This thread

bluri

Mar 13, 2009
Espoo
Will test this immediately after my D4 finishes update to JB and I have Root and Safestrap up and running :)

EDIT: Damn the download speed is horrible.. It says 2 hours, have to go to bed :)

Last edited:

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011
Re: [ROM] Lum's debloated, deblurred stock JB ROM with inverted GApps [V1.2]

Did u post the CDMA version yet? Finally rooted and strapped!

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
Did u post the CDMA version yet?

There's a link in the OP with the addon to make CDMA work.

I haven't made a flashable version of the addon yet. Can't get the damn update.zip to work.
Kind of ironic really, don't have any problem packaging the main ROM, but a simple update has defeated me. :(

For now you just have to copy over the files by hand following the instructions in the OP. Sorry about that.

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011

There's a link in the OP with the addon to make CDMA work.

I haven't made a flashable version of the addon yet. Can't get the damn update.zip to work.
Kind of ironic really, don't have any problem packaging the main ROM, but a simple update has defeated me. :(

For now you just have to copy over the files by hand following the instructions in the OP. Sorry about that.
No worries. Still awesome work. Testing soon

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

First thing I notice. No phone or contact apps. :(

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
First thing I notice. No phone or contact apps. :(

That's weird. I flashed to a brand new rom slot on my phone and they're definitely there.

Do they show up in the drawer? Are you using V1.2? (1.0 did have an issue with the phone app)
Do /system/app/Phone.apk and /system/app/Contacts.apk exist?

I'm going to wipe and redo the romslot for my test system and report back.

Last edited:

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011

That's weird. I flashed to a brand new rom slot on my phone and they're definitely there.

Do they show up in the drawer? Are you using V1.2? (1.0 did have an issue with the phone app)

1.2 no where to be seen. Not in app drawer or on app drawer bar. All that was on the bar was the icon to open drawer.

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
1.2 no where to be seen. Not in app drawer or on app drawer bar. All that was on the bar was the icon to open drawer.

Ok this is weird, they're in my working copy of the ROM, but after running the script to compile it to a zip file they have disappeared from the zip.
My test system must have kept them when I flashed.

I have no idea how that happened, and feel quite stupid now, but here are the two missing files to save you re-downloading 300mb. I'll update the OP shortly, and then check that nothing else has disappeared.

http://www.lum.co.uk/PhoneContacts_V1.2.zip

Once again, copy these into /system/app then do a fix permissions in safestrap!

Reactions: rruleford

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011

Ok this is weird, they're in my working copy of the ROM, but after running the script to compile it to a zip file they have disappeared from the zip.
My test system must have kept them when I flashed.

I have no idea how that happened, and feel quite stupid now, but here are the two missing files to save you re-downloading 300mb. I'll update the OP shortly, and then check that nothing else has disappeared.

http://www.lum.co.uk/PhoneContacts_V1.2.zip

Once again, copy these into /system/app then do a fix permissions in safestrap!

Will report back in a few

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
Well I ran the process again, only change is I found a couple more pointless apks to remove, and this time phone+contacts are definitely in there, even though I didn't change the process used to create them... weird!

Going to flash it to a brand new rom slot and make sure there's no other stupidity going on and then I guess the next version is coming out sooner than expected!

Edit: Well I've reproduced the bug, but no idea what's causing it. Even though they're in the zip they're not getting copied over.

Going to have to look at this in the morning I think.

Last edited:

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011

Well I ran the process again, only change is I found a couple more pointless apks to remove, and this time phone+contacts are definitely in there, even though I didn't change the process used to create them... weird!

Going to flash it to a brand new rom slot and make sure there's no other stupidity going on and then I guess the next version is coming out sooner than expected!

Edit: Well I've reproduced the bug, but no idea what's causing it. Even though they're in the zip they're not getting copied over.

Going to have to look at this in the morning I think.
Even wierder! They are in my /system/app folder! But nowhere to be seen otherwise! Lol wiiiierd

huhu1312

Aug 14, 2010
Düsseldorf
nice to see this so fast
but i have problems with the wlan connection
it not come up
already had this problem on the kexec JB razr port
someone know what i can try to fix?

bluri

Mar 13, 2009
Espoo
Even wierder! They are in my /system/app folder! But nowhere to be seen otherwise! Lol wiiiierd

Same here! Otherwise feels really fast and it's nice to get rid of all the Vz ****.

Keep up the good job Lum_UK, I'm convinced you will solve the problem :)

Just got to love safestrap to always have working stock on reserve. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Lum_UK

bluri

Mar 13, 2009
Espoo
Did you do a fix permissions from within safestrap, then wipe cache/dalvik?

I'll look into it some more a bit later if work leave me alone for 5 minutes. Only just woke up!

I'll answer that I did all as you said, even checked that Phone.apk and Contacts.apk are in /system/app/ and now I've fixed permissions and wiped cache/dalvik couple times and still no Phone or Contacts.

edit: they're there
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16381707/phoneapk.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16381707/contactsapk.png

Last edited:

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
It's amazing what a night's sleep can do to help, got flashable zips to work, and solved the contacts problem, kind of. I've had to go back to the blur contacts app for now. Sorry about that but it's better than a non-functional ROM

V1.2.1 patch to fix phone and contacts issue

Flashable CDMA patch

I am so sorry for wasting your time with the wiping and so on.

Last edited:

bluri

Mar 13, 2009
Espoo
Hey don't be sorry for our time, you have used much more than we!
So just flash that zip over the v.1.2 via safestrap?

EDIT: just flashed that package from safestrap over V1.2 and didn't fix it, Now I will do full wipe :)
EDIT2: Full rom-slot removal and install again 1.2 and 1.2.1 patch same time, IT WORKS!

Last edited:

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
Has anyone tested this on CDMA yet?

I know when I flask the CDMA patch onto my own phone I get the "This SIM is from an unknown source" message that the stock ROM gives, so something is working. I can't really afford a trip to the USA to do my own testing though!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Discontinued. Just use Mentor's ROM instead!

The aim of this ROM is to remove as much annoyance (e.g. blur and bloat) as possible from the stock ROM while making as few changes as possible. By default it is aimed at GSM users, my attempts at adding CDMA back in by a patch did not end well (no data) so I'm just concentrating on GSM now. The CDMA patch is here if anyone wants to have a go at fixing it.

Current Version: V1.2.1

Download links:

>>> MAIN ROM V1.2 <<<
    >>> Patch to V1.2.1 <<<

Make sure you flash the patch immediately after the main ROM, before booting!

Changes from stock are:
    • Removed about 200MB of useless apps
    • Removed all Verizon apps, including those needed for CDMA to work.
    • Added the following inverted GApps, replacing the blur equivalents where applicable:
      - Email
      - Messaging
      - Google Talk
      - YouTube
      - Exchange
      - GMail
      - Camera
      - Gallery
    • Disabled QE spyware (much faster boot)
    • Disabled MotoCast CDROM automount when connecting USB cable
    • Added international APNs
    The following blur apps are still present:
    • Calendar
    • Contacts
    • Launcher
    The blur versions of the calendar and contact apps aren't really that bad, and are proving problematic to replace. The launcher is easily replaced with any launcher from the Play Store. I left the stock one in place as it works well with webtop.

What's working?
    • Hopefully everything!
    What's not working?
    • Setup Wizard crashes at the start, but frankly who cares, I will remove it completely in 1.3
    • CDMA
    • Sending MMS (doesn't work in stock for me either - use Handcent if you actually use MMS)

This is not a kexec ROM, it will only work if your stock ROM is the new JB OTA. If you are still on ICS or Gingerbread it will not work. Kfazz is working on a flashable update to convert stock-based ROMs into kexec, I will add that update when it is ready.

I have gone with inverted GApps because this phone has a pentile screen, black apps use less battery than white ones. I also personally prefer them.

This is very much something I'm working on for my own use which I have decided to share. I am sure that MyFishBear or Olegfusion will eventually come along with a much better done ROM at some point in the future, if they do then I'd encourage you to use it, but for now this works for me, maybe it will work for you too!

Help needed:
    • If I install the stock calendar app, instead of the Moto one, it refuses to sync and force closes if you choose select calendars to sync.
    • Someone in the USA to make a CDMA patch that actually works!
    These are not bugs in the current ROM, they are enhancements I'd like to make but don't yet know how. The calendar does work fine in this ROM and it is intended primarily for GSM users.

Install instructions.

All users: Ensure that your stock rom is the JB OTA, then flash from within Safestrap in the usual way, immediately followed by the patch

Note that there is no superuser.apk in this ROM. You can install either SuperUser or SuperSU from the Play Store.

Disclaimer: If this ROM causes your phone to explode I am not responsible.

Changelog:

V1.0: Initial release.
    V1.1: Disabled QE, disabled MotoCast CD, Fixed broken phone.apk.
    V1.2: Added international APNs, Repackaged as a flashable .zip file.
    V1.2.1: Patch to fix broken phone and contacts apps on a fresh install.

MyFishBear - This ROM is based on his deodexed stock ROM.
    Olegfusion - For the info on how to remove QE and MotoCast
    Hashcode - For Safestrap, of course :)
    It's amazing what a night's sleep can do to help, got flashable zips to work, and solved the contacts problem, kind of. I've had to go back to the blur contacts app for now. Sorry about that but it's better than a non-functional ROM

V1.2.1 patch to fix phone and contacts issue

Flashable CDMA patch

I am so sorry for wasting your time with the wiping and so on.
    Re: [ROM][GSM] Lum's debloated, deblurred stock JB ROM with inverted GApps

waiting to see if verizon works :)
    Will be testing in a couple hours. Will keep you posted

It's still using the stock launcher, but it's easy enough to install Nova or Apex and set it as default. Just install your preferred launcher from the marketplace.

The reason for keeping the stock launcher is because people who use webtop are best off sticking with the stock one as it's the only one to properly handle the resolution chances.

just to offer some insight, Go Launcher EX works fine in webtop. I use that as my daily launcher and it switches over perfectly.
    Someone managed to brick their phone, but I think they did that by wiping the partition by hand and copying my ROM over, obliterating safestrap.

It was fixed by flashing it in fastboot.

That said, I still don't recommend flashing the stock ROM and take no responsibility if you screw your phone up.

Even if I ****ed up the stock rom, I can still boot into fastboot. So i'm not to bothered, However I will see if there's a way I can copy the stock rom to a rom slot and then restore the stock slot, just in case.

Thanks for all the work you have done, if it wasn't for you, I would still be stuck with my Milestone :p