New Users - Read First ! ! !

Search This thread

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
( moderator please consider pinning this post )
You can mess up your tablet "IF" you do some wrong steps. Wish to list terse ( one line ) bullets to make it direct. There are other post that lay out the details.
The forum has a VERY nice search function. It is silly not to take advantage of it.
==================================================
1) Do not put cm7.2 'internal' upgrade on the 8GB units ! Fixed ! ! ! !
2) Do not load Chainfire3D drivers on your cm7.2 . . . . . this one killed me !
3) Using cm7.2 'external' on 8GB and 16GB units will not touch the nook's original os.
4) Using the 'Ubuntu - total wipe & re-flash' will erase your 'serial number' and 'deviceID'. Fixed ! !
5) Recoveries can and will FAIL if you have a damaged partition table.
6) Some sd card's brands ( Lexar ) and classes ( 10 ) will work poorly ( or not at all ! ) in your nook as your external os.
7) Always flash on a full battery.
8) Always format your sd card ( first ) with fat32. . . . . ( sdformatter v3.0 )
9) Side loading will not work until you turn 'on' unknown sources in settings \ applications.
10) Display is easily the #1 battery drain... Want it to last longer, dim the display.
11) Loading in 100+ apps will only take away one third of your ( app ) storage. . . . . typically, your mileage may vary
12) Your nook will not charge if turned 'on' and using your phone's charger.
13) Key app in GingerBread / cm7.2 - app2sd is not available / usable in ICS / cm9.
14) OTA stands for 'Over The Air' - B&N is sending your ( stock ) unit an update.
15) The devs need to fix tough problems, so please don't post in their area.
16) Rooting your stock NT does NOT block OTA's.
17) Take note of apps with "HD" in their title. They require h/w accelleration ( which we do not have working yet )
18) If its 'off' but the back lite is still 'on' then it is hung.
19) One possible way to get it out of a hang is to: press and hold the 'N' button and the 'Volume Up'. Now in addition, press and hold the power for a count of ten and let go.
20) Always backup before trying something ( anything ! )
21) Turn 'off' unknown sources when you don't need it. New virus uses unknown sources to infect your tablet.
22) CM9 is in 'alpha' for 16 and 8GB units. Please don't load unless you understand the risk and know how to back it out.
23) Ad-hoc tethering works ! Must apply a wpa_supplicant fix via adb to your rooted nook
24) Use a partition manager to resize your booting sd and regain the unused space on the card. ALERT ! Danger ahead !
25) Windoze 7 people have to remember to 'right click' and then 'run as administrator' .
26) cm9 will quit working on purpose. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25478233&postcount=446
27) the b&n usb cable is "special" and plugs "deeper", which is required for charging.
28) the microphone is NOT working for a lot of people with cm7 & cm9. devs will fix... soon...
29) if your stock nook says software version 1.0.0 ... it is not OTA blocked. ... Heads up !
30) Connecting useful items to usb is called "usb hosting", which is NOT working yet.
31) Never trust a big download. ( especially if its slow ) Use md5 crc checksum to validate the integrity.
32) You can clean up your 'Dalvik cache' in Titanium Backup, goto menu / more.
33) if you're ONLY interest is reading books then the 'rooted' stock 'os' is best. do not install cm7 / cm9 ( yet ! )
34) when given the choice between App Installer, and Packaging Installer, always choose the second.
35) for cm7, an error has been reported in the build.prop file that results in emmc not mounting when connected to a PC
36) want to see what's going on with your memory/partitions ? get 'free' app "Storage Analyzer" to see internal and external !
37) asked to make a logcat/dmesg report ? get/use free app, 'Voodoo Report'. you can reboot and mail it to yourself.
38) turbo prop tweak : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1684997

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Yeah good idea i have think about doing this because im really getting tired of repeat things over and over again but you beat me to it :). You get my thanks.

~ Veronica

Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
You can mess up your tablet "IF" you do some wrong steps. Wish to list terse ( one line ) bullets to make it direct. There are other post that lay out the details.
1) Do not put cm7.2 'internal' upgrade on the 8GB units.
3) Using cm7.2 'external' on 8GB and 16GB units will not touch the nook's original os.
4) Using the 'Ubuntu - total wipe & re-flash' will erase your 'serial number' and 'deviceID'.
6) Some sd card's brands ( * ) and classes ( 10 ) will work poorly ( or not at all ! ) in your nook as your external os.
8) Always format your sd card ( first ) with fat32. . . . . ( sdformatter v3.0 )
9) Side loading will not work until you turn 'on' unknown sources in settings \ applications.
10) Display is easily the #1 battery drain... Want it to last longer, dim the display.
11) Loading in 100+ apps will only take away one third of your ( app ) storage. . . . . typically, your mileage may vary

My mileage differs on #4. If you boot recovery afterwards your sn, deviceid, mac address, etc return. I have used this numerous times and still have all my stock info as when I took it out of box.
Maybe whatever happened that caused you to use this restore method caused you to loose your info or maybe I'm just lucky!

Reactions: qngds

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
Hey old_fart or anyone with 8GB version NT,

Since I don't have an 8GB version, can you test something for me?

meghd00t told me this, MLO and u-boot are the only ones that will pass the correct cmdline to the kernel to tell it about the 512 RAM on the 8GB units.

I want to see if flashing the MLO and u-boot from 1.4.2 fix this problem.

Go here, https://github.com/succulent/acclaim_recovery_sdcard

Click on flash_u-boot_and_MLO.zip, view raw to download the zip and flash it. Then flash CM7 Alpha Final and see if it work. If not, my pre-built rom.

You can't brick your NT by doing this since it's the same files from BN update.

Last edited:

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
sorry, i too have the original 16GB model.
ahh, what's an MLO ? ( x-loader ? )

Bootloaders_overview_cropped.jpg

http://omappedia.org/wiki/Bootloader_Project

MLO is signed x-loader that load the bootloader (u-boot).

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
Changes to reflect the "NEW" cm7 beta compiled by CelticWebSolutions. It's really great that he has ( once again ) donated his expertise and did the hard work for the benefit of the group. Bravo Zulu !
Now let's clobber the cm9. Beat it into submission...

Last edited:

fullboogie

Jun 23, 2012
Houston
It was posts like this one that helped me to learn enough about the NT to allow me to root, add CM7, modify the build prop, etc. We noobs really do read these posts and we appreciate them. Thank you.:good:

sah0724

Nov 4, 2008
I got a deal for the 8 gig for 80 bucks, I also see on frys they have the 16 gig for 105 shipped... what's the better deal and bargain? I just want to throw ICS on it and have a decent cheap tablet.

PowerSonon

Apr 29, 2013
better late than never and for all those asking the same question

I got a deal for the 8 gig for 80 bucks, I also see on frys they have the 16 gig for 105 shipped... what's the better deal and bargain? I just want to throw ICS on it and have a decent cheap tablet.

Well the difference there would be the ram the 8gb has 512 Mb of RAM and the 16 gig has 1024 Mb of RAM. I have used both, owning the 8gb and working on my friends 16gb and the real difference is the 16gb loads a little faster, maybe 10 secs faster at most over the 8 gb and also I hate to say it but a little smoother gameplay. if it were me, at those prices I would spend the extra $25, see I was one didn't want to wait and went and bought it at B&N, regrettably.
As for putting ICS on it, there are ways for both tablets, most are compatible with each other, but just double check to make sure as you can severely mess things up if you do not use proper avenues of approach. Not to worry though, if you do, once again there are many way out there to fix it if you do. Well HoPe this helps any and all who wonder!

TheAndroidN00BIE

Dec 28, 2013
Seattle
I recently picked up a Nook Tablet 8gb version second hand. I have been toying with the idea of rooting and adding CM10 to try to get more out of it. I was wondering how hard this process is and if its really worth it. :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The forum has a VERY nice search function. It is silly not to take advantage of it.
    1) Do not put cm7.2 'internal' upgrade on the 8GB units ! Fixed ! ! ! !
    4) Using the 'Ubuntu - total wipe & re-flash' will erase your 'serial number' and 'deviceID'. Fixed ! !
    6) Some sd card's brands ( Lexar ) and classes ( 10 ) will work poorly ( or not at all ! ) in your nook as your external os.
    13) Key app in GingerBread / cm7.2 - app2sd is not available / usable in ICS / cm9.
    14) OTA stands for 'Over The Air' - B&N is sending your ( stock ) unit an update.
    15) The devs need to fix tough problems, so please don't post in their area.
    16) Rooting your stock NT does NOT block OTA's.
    17) Take note of apps with "HD" in their title. They require h/w accelleration ( which we do not have working yet )
    18) If its 'off' but the back lite is still 'on' then it is hung.
    19) One possible way to get it out of a hang is to: press and hold the 'N' button and the 'Volume Up'. Now in addition, press and hold the power for a count of ten and let go.
    20) Always backup before trying something ( anything ! )
    21) Turn 'off' unknown sources when you don't need it. New virus uses unknown sources to infect your tablet.
    22) CM9 is in 'alpha' for 16 and 8GB units. Please don't load unless you understand the risk and know how to back it out.
    23) Ad-hoc tethering works ! Must apply a wpa_supplicant fix via adb to your rooted nook
    24) Use a partition manager to resize your booting sd and regain the unused space on the card. ALERT ! Danger ahead !
    25) Windoze 7 people have to remember to 'right click' and then 'run as administrator' .
    26) cm9 will quit working on purpose. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25478233&postcount=446
    27) the b&n usb cable is "special" and plugs "deeper", which is required for charging.
    28) the microphone is NOT working for a lot of people with cm7 & cm9. devs will fix... soon...
    29) if your stock nook says software version 1.0.0 ... it is not OTA blocked. ... Heads up !
    30) Connecting useful items to usb is called "usb hosting", which is NOT working yet.
    31) Never trust a big download. ( especially if its slow ) Use md5 crc checksum to validate the integrity.
    32) You can clean up your 'Dalvik cache' in Titanium Backup, goto menu / more.
    33) if you're ONLY interest is reading books then the 'rooted' stock 'os' is best. do not install cm7 / cm9 ( yet ! )
    34) when given the choice between App Installer, and Packaging Installer, always choose the second.
    35) for cm7, an error has been reported in the build.prop file that results in emmc not mounting when connected to a PC
    36) want to see what's going on with your memory/partitions ? get 'free' app "Storage Analyzer" to see internal and external !
    37) asked to make a logcat/dmesg report ? get/use free app, 'Voodoo Report'. you can reboot and mail it to yourself.
    38) turbo prop tweak : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1684997
    sorry, i too have the original 16GB model.
    ahh, what's an MLO ? ( x-loader ? )

Bootloaders_overview_cropped.jpg

http://omappedia.org/wiki/Bootloader_Project

MLO is signed x-loader that load the bootloader (u-boot).
    1) Do not put cm7.2 'internal' upgrade on the 8GB units.
    4) Using the 'Ubuntu - total wipe & re-flash' will erase your 'serial number' and 'deviceID'.
    6) Some sd card's brands ( * ) and classes ( 10 ) will work poorly ( or not at all ! ) in your nook as your external os.

My mileage differs on #4. If you boot recovery afterwards your sn, deviceid, mac address, etc return. I have used this numerous times and still have all my stock info as when I took it out of box.
    Maybe whatever happened that caused you to use this restore method caused you to loose your info or maybe I'm just lucky!
    added a couple new ones.