Bye bye grandfathered unlimited data

Search This thread

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
You can have 2 lines w sprint for 150/month root ur phones and get free tether with unlimited data..now why do you love ur overpriced Verizon so much?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I like it for their coverage. You can get data just about anywhere you go and unfortunately that cannot be said about sprint.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

Circlel05

Jun 3, 2010
Chickasha, OK
You can have 2 lines w sprint for 150/month root ur phones and get free tether with unlimited data..now why do you love ur overpriced Verizon so much?

I don't have to stand on one foot in my kitchen two feet from the stove just to make a phone call with Verizon. I can see sprints tower from my house, yet couldn't make a simple phone call.

You get what you pay for. Cheap plans, cheap phones, and crappy service is my experience with Sprint.

elreydotcom

Aug 14, 2011
Sprints "unlimited data" is only applicable to when you are not roaming. Otherwise you are limited to 300MB. Plus after 2GB, you will see a noticeable slow down in your speeds, when you can get a connection

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jason1175

Dec 28, 2010

Verizon has the best coverage. I've been with VZW for 15 years and have never had problems with voice, data or messaging. This is the ONLY reason I've remained with them.

And, honestly, I went to the AT&T website and priced out a new plan to match what I currently have. It was slightly more expensive.

So this leads to the question, what is the baseline for calculating "overpriced"? And do we indeed "Get what we pay for"?

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
AT&T is also overpriced and worse than Verizon. I remember having to let a friend with an iPhone with them was getting 2g just last year and it was going in and out so I had to tether so he could use my connection. Only 2 providers are worth having an android on are Verizon or Sprint. I guess now it comes down to sprint's coverage in your area. In some places, its great, and even better than Verizon's.

mike t

Oct 15, 2007
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the contract we signed when we got unlimited data legally binding. I am on an altel plan that I have been on for 10+yrs. and Verizon has tried to get me to change it several times but I wouldn't. I think that is why you do not have to change to a tiered plan if you don't upgrade at a discounted price. If you want a discount on a new phone then you have to sign a new contract and Verizon can change it.

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the contract we signed when we got unlimited data legally binding. I am on an altel plan that I have been on for 10+yrs. and Verizon has tried to get me to change it several times but I wouldn't. I think that is why you do not have to change to a tiered plan if you don't upgrade at a discounted price. If you want a discount on a new phone then you have to sign a new contract and Verizon can change it.

I believe you are correct.

AcE XBOX

Feb 5, 2008
Verizon rep here... the new plans suck for existing unlimited data customers. But you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan you'll just have to buy the phone at full retail price.

The ironic thing is that people always asked about shared data plans ad now that they are here everyone complains lol. This plan actually makes a lot of sense for people that are not in unlimited data plans. At first I wasn't sure if this was a good idea but when I saw the new plans I actually got excited because its cheaper for customers to be n the newer plans. Seems like verizon is going to rely on data overages to make up for the minute overage revenue they are going to miss out on.

Verizon ain't stupid because who ever wants to keep their unlimited data won't be under contract which means they don't have to subzidise phones to those customers anymore.

10 dollars to add a tablet? Very nice! I expect big commission checks in the future. And anyone eligible to upgrade do it fast. I'm upgrading to a galaxy s3 from a nexus if anyone is interested in a nexus lol

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
Practically, is it worth it to keep your unlimited plan but pay $300 more for a phone?

Yes. If you think about it, if you use 6-7gb a month and multiply that by the length of the contract, you will save by spending the upfront investment. You also don't have to watch any data usage and worry about ever going over.

I like the plan I'm on. $245/month and I get 2 lines with unlimited talk, text, and data with insurance (along with those damn fees). I don't have to worry about my girl going over on her minutes and I don't have to worry about data.

Hope she don't get mad that she doesn't get a new phone this winter and I do.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
If you are in a Sprint 4G area, go for it.
I had to have an Airave device just to make a phone call.
Sprint changed their billing, I opted out with no etf's(a moto photon and a nexus s4g, about one month old), went to Verizon, signed on, came home, had full bars of 3G, and a week later they flipped the switch and I now have 4G.
I sent an open signal text to my old Sprint rep showing her the 4G and strength. WHat else could she do?

I recommend against going with Sprint as a "solution" to keep unlimited data. It's only a matter of time (soon) that they will follow suit...then you'll just be locked into worse CDMA/4G coverage for 2more yrs.

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Believe me I love FoxFi. My wife is a by the book type person.
She uses the hotspot feature for work as a necessity. No matter how many times I tell her that I'm 99% sure she wouldn't get caught using FoxFi she comes back and says that what if they do? I need this for work! I then just sigh.
:)

Do you do what's right just not to get caught, or do you do what's right because it's right?

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
I recommend against going with Sprint as a "solution" to keep unlimited data. It's only a matter of time (soon) that they will follow suit...then you'll just be locked into worse CDMA/4G coverage for 2more yrs.

It will be a while before sprint goes that route. They plan on getting many additional customers due to the change with Verizon. Its in their best interest to keep unlimited data for at least another few years. While Verizon can boast about its network in commercials, sprint will be able to boast about unlimited data.

I believe I will go the route of buying people's phones from Craigslist when they want the next newest phone available and I will get it for close to the subsidized price just a few months after release. I'm always seeing people sell the newest phones on there when they go out and get something better. I typically see them going for around $300 2 months after they are released and the owner doesn't like the phone. Sometimes even lower.

Keeping unlimited data is a necessity for me, getting a brand new phone isn't, as long as it was taken care of. When you truly maximize the benefits of owning a smartphone, eating data isn't anything.

jmath679

Jun 23, 2010
My biggest issue with these plans is that you will be paying $20 more per data tier just because of the shared plan. So you get to pay more for less data that is being used by 2 or more people. STUPID. Add some real value and drop every tier by 20.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
For anyone wondering, here is some clarification for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. You can keep your data plan, even when you renew your contract, and you will still only pay $30 a month, but you just lose the ability to get a discount on phones (i.e. no more $599 phone for $199 at time of renewal). You just have to buy your own phone (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or buy from VZW at full retail cost.

Here's my chat log with the VZW rep from today (July 12, 2012):
Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Kayla'
Kayla: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: I am grandfathered in on unlimited data. How long will that last? Will I be forced to switch to these terrible 'Share Everything' plans?
Kayla: I'd be happy to assist you.
Kayla: You will not be forced to switch to a share everything plan however if you wish to keep your unlimited data you will upgrade at full retail price.
You: I am paying $30 a month. For the SAME usage I have now (4GB) does that mean it will cost ($110 just for data) 40+70?
Kayla: Yes but that includes unlimited talk and text as well.
You: Oh, I don't need that. I use less than my 700 minutes
You: So, if I am paying $30 now for unlimited data, then how much will it cost when I have to renew my plan (to stay on unlimited)?
Kayla: Your plan will stay the same you just have to pay full retail price for a new phone
You: So we can keep unlimited for $30/month as long as I have service with Verizon, even into future renewals as long as I buy my own devices?
Kayla: That's correct.
You: Great, thanks for the information. I will save this conversation if that is OK with you.
Kayla: Yes it certainly is.
You: Thanks, have a good day.
Kayla: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
You: That's all.
Kayla: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!
Thank you for chatting with us, visit our Online Workshops to learn more about your devices. Click "End Chat" to tell us how we did today via our survey.

I may not switch to Sprint after all, it just depends on what kind of deal I can get on the phone I want when the time comes. I am very happy now that I have actual ICS on my Bionic though. Stable and everything works, so I think I'll be OK for a while now.

Last edited:
Reactions: amageus

Kram28

Jul 10, 2012
Stony Brook
What ics rom are you using? The one i tried wasn't stable enough to be my daily driver..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

icebear8

Aug 5, 2010
Des moines ia
As long as you dont buy a new phone with the 2yr price then they will not take it away. But if your coming from 3g to 4g then they will force you to get off unlimited.

As long as you pay full price or buy used then you will be good. Last week i just bought a used droid 4 i took my samsung stratosphere sim and just threw it in the droid and everything works (and i checked my plan still unlimited)

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

linuxgator

Sep 5, 2011
Moto X4
Samsung Galaxy A50
As long as you dont buy a new phone with the 2yr price then they will not take it away. But if your coming from 3g to 4g then they will force you to get off unlimited.

As long as you pay full price or buy used then you will be good. Last week i just bought a used droid 4 i took my samsung stratosphere sim and just threw it in the droid and everything works (and i checked my plan still unlimited)

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

I converted my 3G plan to 4G and kept my unlimited plan. This was just last week, since they changed the policy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

audiomixman

Feb 2, 2007
Maryland
I do not think the 3g 4g switch is an issue. I've gone back and forth between my 4G Bionic and my 3G D3 and not seen any changes to my plan. From what I understand, "data" is "data'. It doesn't matter if it's 3G or 4G plan-wise with Verizon.

Crobs808 - You said "renew your contract". Buying a full price or used doesn't require a contract renewal. Buying a discounted/subsidized device does require contract renewal. I've been out of contract for years (and loving it! :)

projektorboy

Sep 3, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For anyone wondering, here is some clarification for those of us grandfathered in on unlimited data. You can keep your data plan, even when you renew your contract, and you will still only pay $30 a month, but you just lose the ability to get a discount on phones (i.e. no more $599 phone for $199 at time of renewal). You just have to buy your own phone (Amazon, eBay, etc.) or buy from VZW at full retail cost.

If you buy a phone at full price, there is no renewal or contract involved. You're just buying a phone. Subsidized devices and contract renewals are not mutually exclusive. You'll simply stay month-to-month and can leave VZW at any time without an ETF as long as you keep buying phones at full price.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your on xda, and still paying for the hotspot service? We're the reason Verizon started offering the tethering service in the first place once they realized we were already doing it for free.

This is wrong. That is how it used to work before, now if you attempt to activate a new phone you will be forced to choose new plan options before they will activate it, regardless of where you got your phone. Welcome to the new Verizon.

Okay then. Debunk this article which contains an official statement from Verizon

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/1...d-data-says-exactly-what-we-already-told-you/
    What to do.... I don't think Sprint is an option. Go to AT&T? Is it worth paying list price just to keep unlimited data? Since I am not upgrading soon, I will have the benefit of lots of examples.

AT&T was the first to eliminate unlimited data. They are worse than Verizon. At one point in time, they had their phones locked to where you could only install apps from the android market. They stopped that when Amazon released their own app store and their users couldn't install the Amazon app store, or any of the apps from it.

Here's my chat log with the VZW rep from today (July 12, 2012):
    Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
    You are now chatting with 'Kayla'
    Kayla: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
    You: I am grandfathered in on unlimited data. How long will that last? Will I be forced to switch to these terrible 'Share Everything' plans?
    Kayla: I'd be happy to assist you.
    Kayla: You will not be forced to switch to a share everything plan however if you wish to keep your unlimited data you will upgrade at full retail price.
    You: I am paying $30 a month. For the SAME usage I have now (4GB) does that mean it will cost ($110 just for data) 40+70?
    Kayla: Yes but that includes unlimited talk and text as well.
    You: Oh, I don't need that. I use less than my 700 minutes
    You: So, if I am paying $30 now for unlimited data, then how much will it cost when I have to renew my plan (to stay on unlimited)?
    Kayla: Your plan will stay the same you just have to pay full retail price for a new phone
    You: So we can keep unlimited for $30/month as long as I have service with Verizon, even into future renewals as long as I buy my own devices?
    Kayla: That's correct.
    You: Great, thanks for the information. I will save this conversation if that is OK with you.
    Kayla: Yes it certainly is.
    You: Thanks, have a good day.
    Kayla: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    You: That's all.
    Kayla: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!
    Thank you for chatting with us, visit our Online Workshops to learn more about your devices. Click "End Chat" to tell us how we did today via our survey.

I may not switch to Sprint after all, it just depends on what kind of deal I can get on the phone I want when the time comes. I am very happy now that I have actual ICS on my Bionic though. Stable and everything works, so I think I'll be OK for a while now.
    Then leave. Go to Sprint. It's a service just like any other. You are free to choose another provider.

I don't understand when ppl complain about things they can easily remedy.

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app

Cuz Sprint sucks! It's a legitimate gripe for people who only have Verizon working in their area. Personally, I'll never buy a subsidized phone from them again.

Tapatalkin' from my CM9'd Touchpad