[Q] Help Unrooting HTC One M8

Search This thread

LemonNinja

Mar 31, 2011
San Lorenzo
Hi so I rooted my One M8 and installed a custom recovery while on software version 1.54.654.10 and tried to do S-Off but was having problems with that so have been attempting to unroot and get a stock recovery for that software version but I''m having problems with my computer not detecting fastboot or ADB or something so I can't do it from there I just need someone's advice on what to do and how to unroot and go back to stock

So what I'd really like is a stock RUU since I'm having trouble finding that file and not a ZIP since I don't have a micro SD card so if someone has that to the latest one or some way they know to fix my issue that'd be great

UPDATE: So I've flashed the RUU zip through the bootloader multiple times and have unrooted the phone through the SuperSU app after said RUU didn't do it and I still can't seem to download and install the latest official update. Any ideas on a fix?

Last edited:

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Hit the second link in my sig. Scroll down to the section about RUU's. The RUU for 1.54.651.10 can be found at the bottom of the first post. You'll need to relock your bootloader before running the RUU. I recommend installing HTC Sync on your PC before you run the RUU.

Edit: Scratch what I said above. This particular RUU has to be run off the external SD card, which you already stated you don't have. You can try it from your computer but according to @O.M.J it won't work (or it didn't for somebody else that tried it from their computer).

Why not try the method outlined in the thread below?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2736048

Last edited:

LemonNinja

Mar 31, 2011
San Lorenzo
Hit the second link in my sig. Scroll down to the section about RUU's. The RUU for 1.54.651.10 can be found at the bottom of the first post. You'll need to relock your bootloader before running the RUU. I recommend installing HTC Sync on your PC before you run the RUU.

Edit: Scratch what I said above. This particular RUU has to be run off the external SD card, which you already stated you don't have. You can try it from your computer but according to @O.M.J it won't work (or it didn't for somebody else that tried it from their computer).

Why not try the method outlined in the thread below?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2736048

I might be able to borrow an SD card from a friend, so I'd just put the RUU zip on an SD card, boot into the bootloader and it'll install the stock recovery and revert back to that state?

OMJ

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jun 11, 2007
MN
twitter.com
I might be able to borrow an SD card from a friend, so I'd just put the RUU zip on an SD card, boot into the bootloader and it'll install the stock recovery and revert back to that state?

yes, extract the 0P6BIMG.zip from the RUU zip to external sd card, then boot into bootloader....if it doesn't work, you'll have to lock bootloader first w/ this cmd:

fastboot oem lock

if your fastboot is not working, make sure you have the drivers installed or htc sync

all the required resources are on the htcdev.com site:

http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions

Reactions: Magnum_Enforcer

LemonNinja

Mar 31, 2011
San Lorenzo
yes, extract the 0P6BIMG.zip from the RUU zip to external sd card, then boot into bootloader....if it doesn't work, you'll have to lock bootloader first w/ this cmd:

fastboot oem lock

if your fastboot is not working, make sure you have the drivers installed or htc sync

Should I unroot from the SuperUser app or just go directly into the bootloader?

Edit: Also i seems to say ***Security Warning*** under Relocked on the bootloader screen I'm guessing that's natural when it's been tampered but relocked?

Edit Edit: So I had it on the external SD and fastboot OEM locked it and for some reason it didn't get rid of SuperSU or install the stock recovery, when I tried to install the newest update it just went directly to the bootloader

Last edited:

LemonNinja

Mar 31, 2011
San Lorenzo
The security warning is normal. Just run the RUU from the bootloader-it will unroot your phone. No need to mess with SuperSU.

I did it, ran it and it didn't delete SuperSU or anything and I'm guessing TWRP is still there because I ran the RUU zip and tried to update to 4.4.3 and it just went directly into the bootloader

Edit: Alright I found a stock recovery for the .8 and going to hope that works y putting it through bootloader in the same zip file name the stock RUU was on

Last edited:

LemonNinja

Mar 31, 2011
San Lorenzo
Sounds like the RUU didn't run like it should have.

Yeah I just flashed that stock recovery through the bootloader and it isn't booting into TWRP so it may have worked, I'm going to try that. Do you have the stock recovery from the .10 firmware that matches mine? If so could you upload it here or send it to me just in case the .8 doesn't work?

Edit: Alright looks like the stock recovery has flashed since it doesn't say ***Security Warning*** anymore and just Tampered, Relocked
Edit Edit: Alright I went to go do the official update from the phone itself and it went back to having the ***Security Warning*** for some reason

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot oem lock