5,594,805 Members 37,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mini/Pro with SD to replace iPod? Yes/no?

Tip us?
 
phoneyericsson
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 625
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default Mini/Pro with SD to replace iPod? Yes/no?

Hi all,

what's it like when you stick one of those cards in your Android full of music? I have an iPod Classic 160GB and now I'd like a bigger screen and touch for easier use. But I've heard terrible things about these SD cards in Android phones. I don't care about screenshots with big numbers,

-what is it like in practical use?
-Does music transfer quickly?
-When you de-tach your phone does it freeze while the SD loads? (some crappy mp3 players do).
-What happens when you load your music player, does it freeze, does it freeze the first time after music transfer or ever time, how long does it freeze?
-Do you have to format your SD card because of normal phone use? How often?
-How do you find out how fast your phone can read the SD?

That's all I care about. I have a feeling the only way I'll find out is by spending a lot of money, getting angry and buying another iPod. The Touch is waaaaay too expensive in my view, I'm not paying for Apple's champaign parties with my money. 32-64GB is expensive, it's the 8GB people who get cheap devices not us audio lovers.
Constant-Reboot problems (2011) Xperia Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post24249402
Last Method for fixing bricked (2010) X10 Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1267587
Sony News Blog: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/
Sony Update Service: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...pdate-service/

Virtue doesn't seek reward - I don't ask for thanks I just like to help
 
Someguyfromhell
Old
#2  
Someguyfromhell's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1897
Posts: 3,684
Join Date: Feb 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
Hi all,

what's it like when you stick one of those cards in your Android full of music? I have an iPod Classic 160GB and now I'd like a bigger screen and touch for easier use. But I've heard terrible things about these SD cards in Android phones. I don't care about screenshots with big numbers,

-what is it like in practical use?
-Does music transfer quickly?
-When you de-tach your phone does it freeze while the SD loads? (some crappy mp3 players do).
-What happens when you load your music player, does it freeze, does it freeze the first time after music transfer or ever time, how long does it freeze?
-Do you have to format your SD card because of normal phone use? How often?
-How do you find out how fast your phone can read the SD?

That's all I care about. I have a feeling the only way I'll find out is by spending a lot of money, getting angry and buying another iPod. The Touch is waaaaay too expensive in my view, I'm not paying for Apple's champaign parties with my money. 32-64GB is expensive, it's the 8GB people who get cheap devices not us audio lovers.
I personally have Live with Walkman, which about half year ago, was the same price as iPod Touch 4g 8GB.

Practical use...I am not sure what you mean about it. Android phones are regular smartphones: music player, internet, apps, calling, SMS etc.

Music transfer speed has never been problem for someone. If your computer has USB 2.0(quite likely), then it is the best you can.

On some phones, rechecking the music folders might take a bit of time to make sure player has all the music there is. Usually doesn't take more than 1-2 minutes, mostly less than that.

Freezing? Depends on phone, but Android phones are nowadays quite fast already, there is no freezing at all.

Seriously, who gives a **** about 1-1,5 sec freezing in the menu? Music doesn't stop anyway.

I have never formatted my SDcard and will never do it. It is not needed, the regular format(which should be FAT32, Android doesn't support others) works just great, you don't need anything else.

SD card speed depends on SD card, Class 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10. Class 10 have highest speed, Class 2 slowest.

I have Class 4 SanDisk 16GB, works like a charm, higher speed is only needed if you move large files on your SDcard often. I have never experienced problems with SDcard speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Someguyfromhell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
phoneyericsson
Old
(Last edited by phoneyericsson; 9th April 2012 at 10:26 PM.)
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 625
Join Date: Dec 2010
By practical use, I mean good daily and constant use of a decent audio player. I have the feeling that many Android phones aim to play music and almost nothing else. I don't use spotify or google music or any of that. I use podcasts big time, I have over 10GB of podcasts alone. I see Sony's version of iTunes, Media Go is actually quite decent now. But practical as a full replacement for an iPod.

Music transfer...my Xperia Mini is OK, but have you seen an iPod? It's 2 songs per second...I've 25GB of music, it has to be fast. Also, I did try other brands of audio players and some of them spend 5 minutes (no joke) loading after music transfer, it was horrible. I actually smashed on it made me so angry, and I NEVER do that. I danced on the screen when I got another iPod. It did it every time even if I moved just 1 song.

By freezing, I mean when you enter the music menu. I just don't want my phone freezing every time it loads 25GB of music and 10GB of podcasts.

I've done a fair bit of research on the class type, XDA has some good threads also. I'm still unconvinced though. People keep posting crap about fast read/write speeds. Who cares, I'm interested in actualy use nothing else.

I highly recommend formatting your SD. Copy all the contents to a folder on your laptop/pc, format then copy back. I'm not joking, if you use different roms you will be SHOCKED at the improvement it makes. I don't mean a tiny improvment, I mean major. Your SD moves much faster, loading pics in your phone becomes instant again.

Your 16GB card works ok? Is that your full music collection?

Anyway, I just did some testing of favourite songs on my phone vs my iPod and bass is definitely better on iPod. I really want to give Android a shot though.
Constant-Reboot problems (2011) Xperia Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post24249402
Last Method for fixing bricked (2010) X10 Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1267587
Sony News Blog: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/
Sony Update Service: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...pdate-service/

Virtue doesn't seek reward - I don't ask for thanks I just like to help
 
Someguyfromhell
Old
#4  
Someguyfromhell's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1897
Posts: 3,684
Join Date: Feb 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
By practical use, I mean good daily and constant use of a decent audio player. I have the feeling that many Android phones aim to play music and almost nothing else. I don't use spotify or google music or any of that. I use podcasts big time, I have over 10GB of podcasts alone. I see Sony's version of iTunes, Media Go is actually quite decent now. But practical as a full replacement for an iPod.
I have been using stock music player all the time(Walkman on stock ROM, stock player on current, MIUI, ROM). Android phones do have music feature, even though most manufacturers are trying to improve other sides.

Live with Walkman is built for music lovers, with its dual speakers(bass is low, but for regular listening is quality fine), special Walkman(which actually misses own equalizer, but can be downloaded from Market).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
Music transfer...my Xperia Mini is OK, but have you seen an iPod? It's 2 songs per second...I've 25GB of music, it has to be fast. Also, I did try other brands of audio players and some of them spend 5 minutes (no joke) loading after music transfer, it was horrible. I actually smashed on it made me so angry, and I NEVER do that. I danced on the screen when I got another iPod. It did it every time even if I moved just 1 song.
iPod's and other Apple products use own cabling system, which probably allows high speed transfer. Androids have microUSB port, which might limit it.

USB 2.0 supports maximal of 60 MB/s, Apple probably takes so much possible from it, as one their port is for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
By freezing, I mean when you enter the music menu. I just don't want my phone freezing every time it loads 25GB of music and 10GB of podcasts.
For 35GB of music material, it might take some time first to check all the folders for music files and load metadata to the player and create cache(that is done only after every music collection change).

If music folders are the same, same cache is used and loading player will be fast.
2011 Xperia's have 1 GHz processor, shouldn't take long time for loading anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
I've done a fair bit of research on the class type, XDA has some good threads also. I'm still unconvinced though. People keep posting crap about fast read/write speeds. Who cares, I'm interested in actualy use nothing else.
First time, placing all your music there might take a while, but later on, you don't add 10GB of stuff to SDcard at once, so that high speed might not be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
I highly recommend formatting your SD. Copy all the contents to a folder on your laptop/pc, format then copy back. I'm not joking, if you use different roms you will be SHOCKED at the improvement it makes. I don't mean a tiny improvment, I mean major. Your SD moves much faster, loading pics in your phone becomes instant again.
I might give it a try, when I have time, even though I have no problems with speed at the moment.

Besides, what would formatting give me? The file system has to stay FAT32 anyway, because Android doesn't support another ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneyericsson View Post
Your 16GB card works ok? Is that your full music collection?

Anyway, I just did some testing of favourite songs on my phone vs my iPod and bass is definitely better on iPod. I really want to give Android a shot though.
Yes, 16GB works fine(14,8GB available due to difference in manufacturing and file systems, 1000-1024 difference). And no, music is about 2-3 GB from it, I don't keep all the music on my phone, only the music I like at some point, old songs are deleted.

I also got few videos/films(Family Guy ) to look, when I am bored sometimes or can't sleep in evening. Screen is small, but it isn't that bad for films.
The Following User Says Thank You to Someguyfromhell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dv2y
Old
(Last edited by Dv2y; 28th April 2012 at 01:21 AM.)
#5  
Dv2y's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 25
Join Date: Apr 2012
I have an Mini Pro with a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 SD.

It works fine, no freezes at all. The only problem is the sound of it is not THAT good, i have never listened to an Ipod, but my phone cant handle much bass without distortion. I'm currently using PowerAMP player, its fantastic and you can configure it to make your music far better than the stock player and the "limiter" option fix the distortion problem.

I think its a good idea to use an external DAC (Fiio E17 example) if you like to listen to a perfect music with your perfect headphone.

EDIT: I have currently 8GB of music on my SD and PowerAMP loads it very fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dv2y For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
urra901109
Old
#6  
urra901109's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 137
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dv2y View Post
I have an Mini Pro with a 32GB Sandisk Class 4 SD.

It works fine, no freezes at all. The only problem is the sound of it is not THAT good, i have never listened to an Ipod, but my phone cant handle much bass without distortion. I'm currently using PowerAMP player, its fantastic and you can configure it to make your music far better than the stock player and the "limiter" option fix the distortion problem.

I think its a good idea to use an external DAC (Fiio E17 example) if you like to listen to a perfect music with your perfect headphone.

EDIT: I have currently 8GB of music on my SD and PowerAMP loads it very fast.
Is it even possible to use DAC on android phone? Is there a driver for it?

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium
 
phoneyericsson
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 625
Join Date: Dec 2010
I don't know about that driver ^^

I've ordered a 32GB on ebay (half the price of in the shops and unused, good seller) and am waiting for it to arrive in the next few days. I've practiced sending about 20 favourite songs to my 2GB card using Media Go. The transfer is way slower than iTunes, but like the guy at the top ^^ said, perhaps after the cache is created on the phone it will all move faster...the load time after that was about 15 seconds...not bad at all. My iPod classic takes about 10 seconds but I'm happy so far.

I can't wait to test the new SD. I'll report back on how it goes. Media Go has finally come of age I think, it's very capable now. I'm testing different music apps on my phone and so far I like DoubleTwist the most - for easy of use though Poweramp has probably the best audio I've heard. I also recommend trying the megabass.zip that's available on here.
Constant-Reboot problems (2011) Xperia Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post24249402
Last Method for fixing bricked (2010) X10 Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1267587
Sony News Blog: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/
Sony Update Service: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...pdate-service/

Virtue doesn't seek reward - I don't ask for thanks I just like to help
 
Dv2y
Old
(Last edited by Dv2y; 6th May 2012 at 04:52 PM.)
#8  
Dv2y's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 25
Join Date: Apr 2012
[QUOTE=urra901109;25409632]Is it even possible to use DAC on android phone? Is there a driver for it?

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...ummary%20Stars

Seems its not yet. ):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1616761
~ why
The Following User Says Thank You to Dv2y For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
phoneyericsson
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 96
Posts: 625
Join Date: Dec 2010
Thanks for the links.

After extensive effort, don't bother trying to replace an iPod with an Android anything yet! What a joke. If you like iPods keep them...I've tried so many devices over the last 6 years and really they (for me) still got nothing on iPods...
Constant-Reboot problems (2011) Xperia Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post24249402
Last Method for fixing bricked (2010) X10 Mini: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1267587
Sony News Blog: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/
Sony Update Service: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...pdate-service/

Virtue doesn't seek reward - I don't ask for thanks I just like to help
 
SarthakSL
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 64
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Default HElp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguyfromhell View Post
I have been using stock music player all the time(Walkman on stock ROM, stock player on current, MIUI, ROM). Android phones do have music feature, even though most manufacturers are trying to improve other sides.

Live with Walkman is built for music lovers, with its dual speakers(bass is low, but for regular listening is quality fine), special Walkman(which actually misses own equalizer, but can be downloaded from Market).



iPod's and other Apple products use own cabling system, which probably allows high speed transfer. Androids have microUSB port, which might limit it.

USB 2.0 supports maximal of 60 MB/s, Apple probably takes so much possible from it, as one their port is for everything.



For 35GB of music material, it might take some time first to check all the folders for music files and load metadata to the player and create cache(that is done only after every music collection change).

If music folders are the same, same cache is used and loading player will be fast.
2011 Xperia's have 1 GHz processor, shouldn't take long time for loading anyway.



First time, placing all your music there might take a while, but later on, you don't add 10GB of stuff to SDcard at once, so that high speed might not be needed.



I might give it a try, when I have time, even though I have no problems with speed at the moment.

Besides, what would formatting give me? The file system has to stay FAT32 anyway, because Android doesn't support another ones.



Yes, 16GB works fine(14,8GB available due to difference in manufacturing and file systems, 1000-1024 difference). And no, music is about 2-3 GB from it, I don't keep all the music on my phone, only the music I like at some point, old songs are deleted.

I also got few videos/films(Family Guy ) to look, when I am bored sometimes or can't sleep in evening. Screen is small, but it isn't that bad for films.
I use my XM only for listening to music or texting...so all the roms i tried either are for performance or some particular use....
CAn u suggest me a good rom only for Music?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes