Galaxy Nexus now $399 No Contract

Search This thread

UCFJake

Dec 21, 2010
Savannah
That's how I've purchased every phone I've owned since the G1. I buy it and pay it off over time, same as subsidizing but without the contract tether. Old Value Plus plan on T-Mo and freedom to switch anytime to any GSM carrier. A tiny APR is better than a contract imo. And waiting to save the money always leads to a better more expensive phone being released driving me to need to save more and more. Rather have the phone for the time I'd be 'saving' and using it for a small finance charge. In the case of the GNex Pay it over 4 months, or wait until August when the S3 will be approaching US release and rumors of the next nexus are already on the way. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

meetagrawal

Dec 13, 2008
There are two types of people in the world. Those who earn interest, and those who pay interest.

Paying interest on an asset which is depreciating heavily is dumb, dumb, and dumb. Not surprised though.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

As long as you pay it off there's nothing wrong with that. Plus it'll build his credit. :D

No, that will not build his credit. Building credit is paying your balance in full every month. Credit card companies feast off people who don't pay them off.

r.snyder

Jan 27, 2012
There are two types of people in the world. Those who earn interest, and those who pay interest.

Paying interest on an asset which is depreciating heavily is dumb, dumb, and dumb. Not surprised though.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

No, that will not build his credit. Building credit is paying your balance in full every month. Credit card companies feast off people who don't pay them off.
Still better than paying contract plan prices for service.

theking_13

Dec 20, 2011
Florida
Exactly! Did you grab one too man? I know you've had the G2x for a while as well.

Next pay check is going straight to it, keeping my 32 GB Class 10 Samsung thought just in case my next phone has an SD slot (hopefully). What about you? This is too good to pass up, its like $550 minimum for CDMA users.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Next pay check is going straight to it, keeping my 32 GB Class 10 Samsung thought just in case my next phone has an SD slot (hopefully). What about you? This is too good to pass up, its like $550 minimum for CDMA users.

Ahh, I see. I know I have a 16GB and a 32GB as well that I'll just save. But mine came in today. Already flashed AOKP onto it, it's a damn good phone... The GPU may be outdated but the phone is fast as hell. I thought ICS was kinda fast on the G2x, but it's not even close to this. You'll enjoy it for sure!

I.R.Chevy

Dec 20, 2011
Calgary, AB
Everybody cool is jumping ship leaving me with my ****ty g2x all alone....
Gratz on the new phones tho :) I gotta stop buying new guns and dish out the cash for a new phone soon lol

Edit: There are still lots of cool people in the g2x forum no beef no beef lol

Pin it to Win it.

Last edited:

moeahmad1995

May 3, 2011
Chicago
Gratz on the new phones tho :) I gotta stop buying new guns and dish out the cash for a new phone soon lol

Pin it to Win it.

Don't worry, I'll stay with you. Off topic but how many guns you got? You can always give them to me if you are in trouble :sly:

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
A Ferrari is completely different than a phone though, can't compare the two.

The financial principle is the same, just different things.

There are differences between the people purchasing the cell phone and the Ferrari on credit. Credit enables leveraging net income to live at a much higher level lifestyle than they would if they had to pay cash for everything as long as the monthly payments are sustainable and paid. The ability to use credit to purchase is related to the person's credit worthiness/rating at a particular level of borrowing. A person who can buy a Ferrari on credit can buy any phone for cash but a person who has to or can buy a phone on credit can't necessarily qualify to buy a Ferrari on credit.

There is also a value difference between the two. Both immediately decline in value but of the two, the Ferrari will retain value much better than a cell phone and, if it is maintained in excellent condition, it may even increase in value when it becomes vintage/classic which, if it still owned by the original purchaser, pay back its cost but the cell phone will never be worth more than it originally cost and probably be worth nothing as a cell phone at some point (it may be worth something as scrap).

There's also a status value difference between the cell phone and Ferrari. A lot more people envy the Ferrari owner than the number of people who envy the owner of a particular cell phone. On a date, the Ferrari will impress more than a cell phone and, as a friend of mine who owns a Corvette said, when his date sees his car it usually "seals the deal". If a cell phone "seals the deal" with a "date" that is usually on a different basis. Also, all over the world, huge crowds of people will pay to see Ferraris racing around a track but how many people will pay to watch people using cell phones?

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Pin it to Win it.

Your investment in guns can pay off. A gun can get you a new cell phone.:eek:

I.R.Chevy

Dec 20, 2011
Calgary, AB
Exactly at this point our g2x is like an old Corvette! Still runs great, looks good and performs great
... just old lol..

I could never bring myself to get rid of my guns to get a phone lol.... or even a gun to get a phone.

I will drive this piece of sh¡t Corvette until I blow the motor running 1500hp or MHz however my clever pun is going ....

Pin it to Win it.

Reactions: zoppp

jland22

Aug 13, 2010
Boston
Look at this sweet new signature ! Just received the phone today :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
Lol yeah. But people always complain about the Nexus' specs as it's downfall. (Except for the Nexus One though)

But I think most buy the Nexus not because of it's specs, but because it saves you the headache of constantly wondering if you'll be updated, or if devs can somehow work their magic again and again to support your phone.

But then again, it's no slouch. It's just not the best of the best. But at 400$ off contract, it definitely could be a lot worse. I mean, some Wal-Mart's still sell the G1 off contract at 375$ lol.

4daa27568e5011e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

Good for you bro! Great thing about the nexus is all the support you get from Google, and then there's this place called xda which has almost 90% of all devs on that line of phone(s). Nexus galaxy will be a great backup phone too whenever you decide to use your upgrade for the next galaxy or note :)

Also that pic made me laugh, crazy to think if you put both the g1 and G nexus side by side it would be around the same price lolz. Enjoy your new toy bro!

Reactions: mackster248

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Good for you bro! Great thing about the nexus is all the support you get from Google, and then there's this place called xda which has almost 90% of all devs on that line of phone(s). Nexus galaxy will be a great backup phone too whenever you decide to use your upgrade for the next galaxy or note :)

Also that pic made me laugh, crazy to think if you put both the g1 and G nexus side by side it would be around the same price lolz. Enjoy your new toy bro!

Thanks man! Appreciate it. So far I like it a lot. From build quality to software. Also, I wasn't used to having to go through pages in the dev section since a thread in the 3rd page is still commented on like a day before. I kinda don't wanna get rid of my G2x yet though. Holds a special place in my heart as my first dual core. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

ZiZi_G2X

Aug 22, 2011
Exactly at this point our g2x is like an old Corvette! Still runs great, looks good and performs great
... just old lol..

I could never bring myself to get rid of my guns to get a phone lol.... or even a gun to get a phone.

I will drive this piece of sh¡t Corvette until I blow the motor running 1500hp or MHz however my clever pun is going ....

Pin it to Win it.
I feel ya on that one. I too am going to ride this phone out until the wheels fall off. I wonder what the g2x section will look like two years from now, because dammit I'll still be using this phone, and by that time it will have an fully functional and smooth running ics on it :)..

I just don't know about this galaxy nexus deal. Sounds pretty good, but just wait 3 more months and they'll drop the price $100. I know alot of people will disagree with me on this point, but from now on I'm not paying more than $200 for an android phone again. My brother has a $50 android phone no contract, and it does everything mine does except play the graphic intensive games. I'm digging the $50 low end solutions out there, talk and throw!

g1user101

Apr 16, 2010
OC
Why don't u guys just use your phone till like October? New phones will come out then that are better than galaxy nexus.

se1zure31

Jul 25, 2010
I too will be jumping on this deal. I am letting all my friends who want ICS but don't want to flash their phones know about this as well. The best part about this is the no contract part. Can't get a subsidized price on a phone at the moment and I hate re-setting that 2 year commitment and this phone does seem like a decent upgrade to me.

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Why don't u guys just use your phone till like October? New phones will come out then that are better than galaxy nexus.

Because something new will always come out. And in OCT that new phone will be 600+ dollars.

So 400 now for a Google Nexus is more than fair off contract. Especially if I can sell the G2x for at least half that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Galaxy Nexus is really cheap without a contract. Do you think is a way to clear out Galaxy Nexus-es before the Galaxy S3 comes out?

Also what do you think about getting a Galaxy Nexus vs HTC ONE X? I didn't get the ONE X because the internet speeds would've been too slow. And should I ever buy a LG Mobile Device again?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa
    Lol hilarious post man. But I know what you mean. G2x is a bomb ass phone when it works right. But I need something that's more reliable, and other than the Vibrant, Samsung has a good track record. I have a TMO upgrade this summer, was planning on using it but I guess I'll just save that and use this GN for a while.

Make up your mind, u want someone to stop you from buying it and now you want it?

:confused:

Just messin, go for it. Don't feel like you will be betraying anyone if you get the nexus. Its your phone and whatever phone pleases you get it, don't care about what people think of you (except me) . :p

Man.... This is too hard to pass up. I think I might just have to order one.... Kinda wish someone would stop me lol.

Don't worry I'll stop you, we can meet up and I'll rob you :D don't get the nexus!!, it doesn't have that many problems to fix (don't quote me on that). Why would u want a phone that works? Sounds like another company if u ask me.

Man.... This is too hard to pass up. I think I might just have to order one.... Kinda wish someone would stop me lol.

That's how I feel right now. I'm considering buying it now.
    Don't worry I'll stop you, we can meet up and I'll rob you :D don't get the nexus!!, it doesn't have that many problems to fix (don't quote me on that). Why would u want a phone that works? Sounds like another company if u ask me.

Lol hilarious post man. But I know what you mean. G2x is a bomb ass phone when it works right. But I need something that's more reliable, and other than the Vibrant, Samsung has a good track record. I have a TMO upgrade this summer, was planning on using it but I guess I'll just save that and use this GN for a while.