[GUIDE][HOW TO]Edit Earphones Connected

Search This thread

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010
I don't know if others are having this problem, but many of the screen shots I took don't load at first. Try a few refreshes, it should make the how to easier to follow.

So I only recently tried this out. I haven't found any glaring issues with it, but a backup is recommended just in case. No warranty, I'm not responsible if somehow this breaks/bricks your phone, causes your phone to not dial during an emergency, etc.
Also I didn't really proofread this as I don't have a large amount of time available, so sorry for any dumb grammar errors. I'll look it over eventually.

I didn't like the choices that Samsung provided in the Earphones Connected options for the notification drop down. Here is example of the stock:

My original hope was to remove it completely, but I wasn't successful with my first attempts. Instead I found that I could edit the SQLite database contained within. This allows one to add custom applications as they see fit.

If you want to remove it completely:
freezing the contextaware service gets rid of it showing from the notifications at all
Whoever figured this out to turn it off completely we can throw your name up here, as XInSaNeFartX claims he read it somewhere else on here. Just let me know and I'll give credit.

Uhm don't know if it works for Verizon but your Tutorial also worked for my International i9300 so I will share this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756355

He created an easy to use app for this ;)

Cheers

Requirements:
Galaxy S3 with stock or near stock firmware (CM9/CM10 will won't have Earphones Connected options to my knowledge)
Root Access
SQLite Editor: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

Free version doesn't seem to work. Try if you insist:
SQLite Editor(Free version SQLite editor, thanks eschelon)
It appears the free one is a version behind. 1.4.1, maybe they will update it eventually.
Where the pay for app is 1.5
1.5 had some ICS compatibility added..

Step 1)
Open SQLite
You should get a screen like this:

Step 2)
Tap "TouchWiz home"
Screenshot_2012-07-14-23-44-47.png

Then tap "launcher.db"
Then tap "appOrder" ...

Step 3)
This should bring you to the SQLite table for your app drawer. This will list the info we need for launching the app of you choosing. For this example we will use Google Maps as our app of choice. The screen should like similar to this, (a jumbled mess):

From here you want to hit the menu button and select "Set Filter

Type in maps, and click ok:

Step 4)
Now you will have a bit more manageable table. Press and hold on maps until you get this pop up and select "Edit Record".

Step 5)
Scroll down and copy the "componentName" data:

Step 6)
Press back until you get to the database lists again. Then tap the "ContextAwareService"

Step 7)
Tap "logDatabase.db" ...
Then tap "appLogTable"
side note: sqlite_sequence determines what number the next entry will be in the table. This may be necessary to know in case there are too many apps in the table and the ones you try to add don't show on the screen. Also if I remember right setting this to 0 will reset you to default applications and clear your changes, although it doesn't always fix problems with crashes if you experience them. I would still do a nandroid and/or titanium backup just in case

Step 8)
You should now have a screen like this: (you may notice google play is already on my list, ignore that)

Press the menu button and select "New Record"
Side note: You can long press the other entries and delete them as you please if there are particular ones you don't want listed. I'd recommend at least screen shot before doing so. I wouldn't actually do this, as I think I found a more stable work around for unwanted apps: See here.

Step 9)
Warning a lot of people are gettings this error on this step:"Record creation failed-unable to open database file"
I am unaware of the cause or how to fix it as of yet. I am using the paid for version myself, so I don't know if that makes some sort of difference. I would doubt that it does. Also I am on the Bean rom.
Please post if you have failure or success and what rom you are using as well as if you used the free or paid version of the app.

Now paste the earlier copied text into the "activity_name" section.
Paste the earlier copied text up to the / in the "pkg_name" section (See the screen shot for example)
Tap "save"

side note:The last field "exec_freq_with_headset" seems to keep track of how many times you launch the app through the notification menu. So far it seems to order the most frequently used on the left, and the lest frequently used on the right. Although you shouldn't need to add any number there as it will default to 0. This should better explain the "exec_freq_with_headset"

Woot Done:
Plug in some headphones and see what it looks like:

Thanks for the idea:
http://www.s3forums.com/forum/galaxy-s3-hacking-mods/874-hack-remove-wifi-reminder.html

Here is my original development thread, if anyone cares:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771301

Last edited:

minmongoblin

Jun 15, 2010
Strange, it worked for Play Music, but not for Pandora or XiiaLite. Said something about not being able to save the database.

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010
Strange, it worked for Play Music, but not for Pandora or XiiaLite. Said something about not being able to save the database.

Were the headphones still plugged in? Maybe it was still accessing the database when you attempted to edit it?
Another thought is to close out SQLite Editor and reopen it, maybe once you used Play Music it incremented the "exec_freq_with_headset" field and the editor didn't see the update yet.

minmongoblin

Jun 15, 2010
Were the headphones still plugged in? Maybe it was still accessing the database when you attempted to edit it?
Another thought is to close out SQLite Editor and reopen it, maybe once you used Play Music it incremented the "exec_freq_with_headset" field and the editor didn't see the update yet.

I didn't plug the headphones in at all.

I will now try again after exiting the program completely

EDIT: Nope, still says "unable to open database file". The text fields that I copy from those apps are noticeably smaller than the one for Play Music....something to do with it?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Interesting...if I try to DELETE one of the entries, it also says "Unable to open database file"...there's a connection here that I'm not seeing

Last edited:

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010

EDIT: Nope, still says "unable to open database file". The text fields that I copy from those apps are noticeably smaller than the one for Play Music....something to do with it?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Interesting...if I try to DELETE one of the entries, it also says "Unable to open database file"...there's a connection here that I'm not seeing

I'll try downloading those apps, see if I have any similar issues.
Working fine for me. I can post a screen shot later. I gotta run some errands.

Only tried Pandora, but it worked just fine. I have yet to run into the same problem with the database files not opening. Maybe a reboot or clear cache/dalvik cache. Those are my usual attempts when I feel stumped.

Last edited:

radiohead14

Sep 9, 2010
NYC
nice. was just in the subway today wondering if there was a way to change those, since i would like to add spotify and poweramp in the list. thanks!

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010
I messed up my database, somehow causing the process to continually crash. Which in the past I was able to delete everything and it went back to the default. This time it went back to default but still crashed. So I did a restore from titanium backup and it was back to normal. So probably backup in between each edit. Also the "exec_freq_with_headset" seems to be based on your total number of apps. So if you have like 10 total the one with 10 will show up on the far left, up to 5 will show. I hope this makes sense.
10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... 6

This seems to negate the need to delete any of them. Also I think deleting may have caused my process to crash previously.

Heres some screen shots to explain it: (if i put one of the app's "exec_freq_with_headset" to 11 it would shift all the rest to the right one and knock the farthest right one off the screen's visibility. But if I set to 12 I think it will cause crash issues.)

Last edited:

harpdoc

Aug 1, 2008
When I try to save (step 9), it won't and I get the error "Record creation failed-unable to open database file"
Happened when I tried to add MortPlayer, Listen, and Pandora. None would save. I'm rooted and running regular Touchwiz rom.

Also, I noticed that in Step 3 most of my apps were not listed, including many of my favorite audio apps. I realized that this is because I'm using a different launcher (Apex), and only the apps that were on the Samsung launcher before I started using Apex were showing up. To fix this, I cleared Apex as the default launcher, launched the Samsung launcher, let all the apps show in the app drawer, then started over with your steps. This time all the apps were there in Step 3.

Last edited:

minmongoblin

Jun 15, 2010
When I try to save (step 9), it won't and I get the error "Record creation failed-unable to open database file"

I'm trying to add the MortPlayer app.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

I noticed that in Step 3 most of my apps were not listed, including many of my favorite audio apps. I realized that this is because I'm using a different launcher (Apex), and only the apps that were on the Samsung launcher before I started using Apex were showing up. To fix this, I cleared Apex as the default launcher, launched the Samsung launcher, let all the apps show in the app drawer, then started over with your steps. This time all the apps were there in Step 3.

Ah, I use Go Launcher, I'll try disabling and trying this

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010
Reactions: nlanter95

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010
Happened when I tried to add MortPlayer, Listen, and Pandora. None would save. I'm rooted and running regular Touchwiz rom.

Also, I noticed that in Step 3 most of my apps were not listed, including many of my favorite audio apps. I realized that this is because I'm using a different launcher (Apex), and only the apps that were on the Samsung launcher before I started using Apex were showing up. To fix this, I cleared Apex as the default launcher, launched the Samsung launcher, let all the apps show in the app drawer, then started over with your steps. This time all the apps were there in Step 3.
You may be able to open the database for your particular home app instead of switching back. Just a thought.

What Rom are you guys using? I have edited mine quite a bit and still not been able to reproduce the error you guys are having.

cesium

Jul 27, 2008
Ann Arbor
Getting the same error using Bean's rom. Still on stock launcher and free sqlite editor

I get the error whether I try to add a new record or edit an existing one.

Last edited:

xCaldazar

May 30, 2010
Getting the same error using Bean's rom. Still on stock launcher and free sqlite editor

I get the error whether I try to add a new record or edit an existing one.

I tried the free version now that I got home and found I am getting the same error. I don't know how they are different, but it just won't work for me. I also couldn't get any screen shots while in the free app, I don't know why. I getting out my Gnex to take a photo of it not working.

It appears the free one is a version behind. 1.4.1
1.5 had some ICS compatibility added.

IMG_20120719_170046.jpg

Last edited:

cesium

Jul 27, 2008
Ann Arbor
I tried the free version now that I got home and found I am getting the same error. I don't know how they are different, but it just won't work for me. I also couldn't get any screen shots while in the free app, I don't know why. I getting out my Gnex to take a photo of it not working.

It appears the free one is a version behind. 1.4.1
1.5 had some ICS compatibility added.

[IMG ]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JzKKfdiGTb8/UAigfSbT7eI/AAAAAAAAHYA/HC0HM1bNQFw/s720/IMG_20120719_170046.jpg[/IMG]

Yup confirmed it works now with the paid version. Must be some incompatibility that was fixed in the latest version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if others are having this problem, but many of the screen shots I took don't load at first. Try a few refreshes, it should make the how to easier to follow.

So I only recently tried this out. I haven't found any glaring issues with it, but a backup is recommended just in case. No warranty, I'm not responsible if somehow this breaks/bricks your phone, causes your phone to not dial during an emergency, etc.
    Also I didn't really proofread this as I don't have a large amount of time available, so sorry for any dumb grammar errors. I'll look it over eventually.

I didn't like the choices that Samsung provided in the Earphones Connected options for the notification drop down. Here is example of the stock:

My original hope was to remove it completely, but I wasn't successful with my first attempts. Instead I found that I could edit the SQLite database contained within. This allows one to add custom applications as they see fit.

If you want to remove it completely:
    freezing the contextaware service gets rid of it showing from the notifications at all
    Whoever figured this out to turn it off completely we can throw your name up here, as XInSaNeFartX claims he read it somewhere else on here. Just let me know and I'll give credit.

Uhm don't know if it works for Verizon but your Tutorial also worked for my International i9300 so I will share this:

Cheers

Requirements:
    Galaxy S3 with stock or near stock firmware (CM9/CM10 will won't have Earphones Connected options to my knowledge)
    Root Access
    SQLite Editor: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

Free version doesn't seem to work. Try if you insist:
    SQLite Editor(Free version SQLite editor, thanks eschelon)
    It appears the free one is a version behind. 1.4.1, maybe they will update it eventually.
    1.5 had some ICS compatibility added..

Step 1)
    Open SQLite
    You should get a screen like this:

Step 2)
    Tap "TouchWiz home"
    Screenshot_2012-07-14-23-44-47.png

Then tap "launcher.db"
    Then tap "appOrder" ...

Step 3)
    This should bring you to the SQLite table for your app drawer. This will list the info we need for launching the app of you choosing. For this example we will use Google Maps as our app of choice. The screen should like similar to this, (a jumbled mess):

From here you want to hit the menu button and select "Set Filter

Type in maps, and click ok:

Step 4)
    Now you will have a bit more manageable table. Press and hold on maps until you get this pop up and select "Edit Record".

Step 5)
    Scroll down and copy the "componentName" data:

Step 6)
    Press back until you get to the database lists again. Then tap the "ContextAwareService"

Step 7)
    Tap "logDatabase.db" ...
    Then tap "appLogTable"
    side note: sqlite_sequence determines what number the next entry will be in the table. This may be necessary to know in case there are too many apps in the table and the ones you try to add don't show on the screen. Also if I remember right setting this to 0 will reset you to default applications and clear your changes, although it doesn't always fix problems with crashes if you experience them. I would still do a nandroid and/or titanium backup just in case

Step 8)
    You should now have a screen like this: (you may notice google play is already on my list, ignore that)

Press the menu button and select "New Record"
    Side note: You can long press the other entries and delete them as you please if there are particular ones you don't want listed. I'd recommend at least screen shot before doing so. I wouldn't actually do this, as I think I found a more stable work around for unwanted apps: See here.

Step 9)
    Warning a lot of people are gettings this error on this step:"Record creation failed-unable to open database file"
    I am unaware of the cause or how to fix it as of yet. I am using the paid for version myself, so I don't know if that makes some sort of difference. I would doubt that it does. Also I am on the Bean rom.
    Please post if you have failure or success and what rom you are using as well as if you used the free or paid version of the app.

Now paste the earlier copied text into the "activity_name" section.
    Paste the earlier copied text up to the / in the "pkg_name" section (See the screen shot for example)
    Tap "save"

side note:The last field "exec_freq_with_headset" seems to keep track of how many times you launch the app through the notification menu. So far it seems to order the most frequently used on the left, and the lest frequently used on the right. Although you shouldn't need to add any number there as it will default to 0. This should better explain the "exec_freq_with_headset"

Woot Done:
    Plug in some headphones and see what it looks like:

Thanks for the idea:
    http://www.s3forums.com/forum/galaxy-s3-hacking-mods/874-hack-remove-wifi-reminder.html

Here is my original development thread, if anyone cares:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771301

Cheers
    Is there anyway to just get rid of it all?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I posted this quote at the beginning of the how to. Use titanium backup and freeze the process. Although this isn't very well tested to my knowledge: