SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

PoorCollegeGuy

Account currently disabled
Dec 18, 2011
Columbus
twitter.com
I had a 32GB class 10 sandisk that completely died a couple weeks ago. As in wouldn't work in any other device or computer.

I'll try that hardware fix in the coming days. Has anyone dropped their phones at all? I have a case on mine but it still gets bumped to the floor. Could it be possible that the connection between the sd card and mobo is weak already. Most phones can take several drops without something like this happening, but if Samsung cheaped out on the connector ribbon, then a couple of not-so-bad-drops could be loosening them up.

willsurg

Jun 26, 2010
Queens
I truly don't know what to say or why this would work but I have the exact same problems everyone is talking about. I follow directions exactly as laid out on this webpage : http://www.askmefast.com/What_is_th...oved_unexpectedly_in_galaxy_y-qna1486757.html

And for some damn reason for the last three days the problem Has gone away. I have no idea why this would work but it did and I'm posting it here just for you guys to try. Good luck!

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
I truly don't know what to say or why this would work but I have the exact same problems everyone is talking about. I follow directions exactly as laid out on this webpage : http://www.askmefast.com/What_is_th...oved_unexpectedly_in_galaxy_y-qna1486757.html

And for some damn reason for the last three days the problem Has gone away. I have no idea why this would work but it did and I'm posting it here just for you guys to try. Good luck!
thanks for directing,
but which exact step did u take to solve your problem?

willsurg

Jun 26, 2010
Queens
I powered the phone off. Plugged it in then turned it on. Then turned the screen on one off a few times, then unplugged it.
FYI I also had used sd card program to set cache to 2048. So far I have not had the problem

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
I powered the phone off. Plugged it in then turned it on. Then turned the screen on one off a few times, then unplugged it.
FYI I also had used sd card program to set cache to 2048. So far I have not had the problem
mate when u say plug u meant the sdcard or the power supply hah.

clearNET

Jul 26, 2007
No problems on my two note ii's one using class 10 32gb lexar n the other using a-data class 10 32gb....both using now since the note ii came out in the devices... not a single problem.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
No problems on my two note ii's one using class 10 32gb lexar n the other using a-data class 10 32gb....both using now since the note ii came out in the devices... not a single problem.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
things were working fine for me for about a month.
iirc issues seem to start appearing after updating to 4.1.2

madman604

Jul 14, 2007
Has anyone thought to possibly bend the frame of the SD slot to apply pressure to the sd card? Maybe too much play and not enough contact?

Sent from a phone that's 2 Note-worthy, via XDA Premium HD app.

heiNey

Feb 26, 2011
i've got this issue now as well.

unmounted it, and remounted it and suddenly it says the card is damaged.

tried reading it from a computer, still doesn't work.

card is a sandisk 64gb class 10 formatted with exfat, rooted with Jedi-X7.2 ROM/perseus kernel and CWM Recovery installed.

trying the steps here to recover the data: http://digital-photography-school.com/recover-images-from-a-damaged-sd-card

then probably going to see if i can format with fat32

Last edited:

predation

Jan 1, 2011
Oi. I want to get an SD card to use, but what's the point if we dont know exactly why this is happening?
I'd be afraid to store pictures on there ans then lose them. :(

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
Oi. I want to get an SD card to use, but what's the point if we dont know exactly why this is happening?
I'd be afraid to store pictures on there ans then lose them. :(

You do have automatic photo backup set up on Google+ and Dropbox...right?

If not, set it up now. If my entire phone went up in smoke in 5 minutes, I'd lose absolutely nothing.

heiNey

Feb 26, 2011
yea, i agree.

good thing i have G+ and dropbox instant upload, otherwise i would have lost everything.

im not sure how to restore the pictures from G+, but at least dropbox just saves a copy to my dropbox folder that i can just copy back to the sd card.

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
I here so many people having issues. I took my 64gb from my galaxy s2 and just put it in the note 2 and been working perfect. I even unmounted and then remounted to back it up just in case and still working. In the s2 roms sometimes the sd card reader files would not flash right. Try a reflash or do sd card pull and install in ur pc and check if the info is really lost.

Sent from my SGH-T889

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
I here so many people having issues. I took my 64gb from my galaxy s2 and just put it in the note 2 and been working perfect. I even unmounted and then remounted to back it up just in case and still working. In the s2 roms sometimes the sd card reader files would not flash right. Try a reflash or do sd card pull and install in ur pc and check if the info is really lost.

Sent from my SGH-T889
Problem doesn't occure immediately when I was using the Sandisk 32 gb class 10 card.
It worked fine for a while before unmounting starts to appear.

I swapped to a newly acquired Samsung same class same size card since 7 hrs ago.
Working well. Gotta monitor tho..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.