[ANSWERS] All the answers

Search This thread

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Hey there,
xplodwild here, I did the announcement session at BABBQ, it was awesome. Thanks for everyone who were there.

So yeah, we didn't prepare a lot of YouTube demo videos yet, but all the information about the philosophy of Omni are available on Omni website: http://omnirom.org/why-omni/.

We are a ROM different than others: we are focused on performance, cohesion, stability, innovation, code quality, community and open source. And the community more than anything else. You are using the ROM, you should be choosing what you want to have.

When we're taking a patch from another ROM, we're trying as much as possible to enhance it before merging it. When we're getting new features, we give you a way to give early feedback, early access to prototypes, early access to mockups, etc, so that we know immediately early on if we're doing it right.
All the contributions will be GPL licensed (at least we'll be pushing for it). People will be able to vote up and down on patches,

Some of the key features of Omni:
  • Flippable Quick Settings
  • Roadrunner mode
  • Multi-window(!)
  • Daydream enhancements
  • Integrated Performance Control
  • Multi-workspace
  • Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
  • And a bunch more

We're also pushing non-Android stuff, such as OmniInstaller (an all-in-one, multi-platform, open source, installer that anyone can plug in), as well as a Qt library to give Qt Android apps a native Android look, and have gorgeous and super-fast Android apps. We're helping users, and helping developers.

Everything is free, free as in money, and free as in liberty. And transparent.

Edit #1: Regarding device support, we currently support all the Nexus devices, as well as the Oppo Find 5, Xperia Z, Xperia Tablet Z. We have preliminary support for the i9300 as well as the Oppo R819.

Edit #2: We'll have a bunch of developer resouces up soon, giving a head start to newcomers in the Android development world.

I probably didn't cover much things but I'll add more things as they come to my mind. We're having beers here and I'm probably not fully able to do a comprehensive post right now.

Last edited:

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
Have some screenshots:

Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-39-54.png
Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-40-02.png
Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-40-24.png
Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-40-43.png

SGWUser

Jun 22, 2012
Are you guys going to kang features from other ROMs (Halo and Pie from PA for example) or will all features be developed in-house?

Also, on which Android-version are the first builds based? I guess 4.3.1?

Since the annoucement of Cyanogen to be a corporation, I was searching for a new AOSP-based ROM for my daily needs, and I think I found it. Good luck guys!

Reactions: leungclj

AA1973

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
NIce! Does that "multiwindow" works flawlessly?without breaking apps?

It will do pretty much. We'll get sources up very very soon (ie. minutes), and gerrit is already live where you can see the MultiWindow patch being reviewed and improved.

Are you guys going to kang features from other ROMs (Halo and Pie from PA for example) or will all features be developed in-house?

Since the annoucement of Cyanogen to be a corporation, I was searching for a new AOSP-based ROM for my daily needs, and I think I found it. Good luck guys!

In the spirit of open source, if there's something that gives positive improvement on the user experience, and it can be introduced, and people want it, it will be included. There's a balance between "settings inception" (ie. a toggle for your toggle, to toggle text alignment of the clock) and something that isn't customisable, but that will be open to much wider discussion and consultation.

4.3.1 is the current version in use, yes.

Halo and Pie are 2 specific examples, but this is where the community comes in - porting these features should be fairly straightforward. We like to try improve things too where possible :)

I m dying to try this rom.
Would it be possible to port it using cyanogenmod or aosp as base?

The ROM is based on AOSP, and full sources will be posted today, meaning you can try to build it for yourself. Be aware though, not all chipsets are currently supported - nexus devices will have more luck than other devices for now, but that will obviously change in the coming days and weeks.

They say all nexuses are supported , then where is galaxy nexus support huh ?

I don't believe anyone has one here for testing, hence it has not been listed yet. it WILL be supported, but until it's been tested, it won't go onto the list :)

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Have the additional selinux commits CM started picking a few months ago been picked here also? If so, would make getting a build up for the Sprint and Verizon GNote 2 much easier :) Now it's just a waiting game for source to drop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Reactions: mikelav456

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Have the additional selinux commits CM picked a few months ago been picked here also? By that I mean the 2nd commit from the top to the next page https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base/commits/cm-10.2?page=15 If so, would make getting a build up for the Sprint and Verizon GNote 2 much easier :) Now it's a waiting game for source to drop.

We've not focused yet that much on SELinux, as generally we believe that features like this should be introduced once the tree is stable enough.

There's still work needing done for SoCs (like Exynos!), but once we have the ground work covered, make no mistake, SELinux will be in and securing. Until then though, it will not be a number 1 priority (not to say nobody can go fix it!) - that's the glory of open source :)

sakindia123

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 6, 2011
Noida
a small query,do you plan to include support for legacy devices?(for example, the video encoding/decoding patches for msm7x27/7x27a)?

Currently,no roms support this by default.

Last edited:

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
We've not focused yet that much on SELinux, as generally we believe that features like this should be introduced once the tree is stable enough.

There's still work needing done for SoCs (like Exynos!), but once we have the ground work covered, make no mistake, SELinux will be in and securing. Until then though, it will not be a number 1 priority (not to say nobody can go fix it!) - that's the glory of open source :)
Makes sense. I use modified CM trees to build for PA which doesnt have that extra selinux stuff so building should still be pretty painless I hope. Last question, let's say I wanted to add PA Pie support in an aio patch or so, would I just push to gerrit and from there the core team and users vote on it? Considering its stable and working fine. How will that work? Thanks!

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
a small query,do you plan to include support for legacy devices?(for example, the video encoding/decoding patches for msm7x27/7x27a)?

Yes, we intend to include legacy device support as a key feature. I'll go into this in more detail later, but this was one of our founding "aims".

Provided compatibility for legacy devices can be implemented "neatly" without impacting other devices, it's actively encouraged :)

Custom ROMs were meant to extend the useful lives of phones, not leave phones dangling without support :)

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
What's the Roadrunner feature?

Roadrunner was the "speculated" feature name for a previous version of Android where some people suggested that it would improve battery life, and add better power profiles and management.

Roadrunner was something Xplod is working on, but it aims to make it possible to easily and quickly bias your device's configuration for performance, or battery, or a balance between the two.

On a modern device with 4 cores, and 2.2 GHz CPU (or whatever), this is frankly excessive for simple tasks. OEMs usually excessively prioritise performance so their device feels "snappy", leaving battery performance poor.

Roadrunner lets you reduce "raw" speed, but gain better battery life.

cybojenix

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 7, 2012
Yes, we intend to include legacy device support as a key feature. I'll go into this in more detail later, but this was one of our founding "aims".

Provided compatibility for legacy devices can be implemented "neatly" without impacting other devices, it's actively encouraged :)

Custom ROMs were meant to extend the useful lives of phones, not leave phones dangling without support :)

I will try to get @PecanCM involved, as well as the members from androidarmv6. They'll have a few patches to push up

Because we use different sets of qcom hardware sources, can I ask for them to be able to be fetched from different github users/organisations, just to keep the source code tidier?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there,
    xplodwild here, I did the announcement session at BABBQ, it was awesome. Thanks for everyone who were there.

So yeah, we didn't prepare a lot of YouTube demo videos yet, but all the information about the philosophy of Omni are available on Omni website: http://omnirom.org/why-omni/.

We are a ROM different than others: we are focused on performance, cohesion, stability, innovation, code quality, community and open source. And the community more than anything else. You are using the ROM, you should be choosing what you want to have.

When we're taking a patch from another ROM, we're trying as much as possible to enhance it before merging it. When we're getting new features, we give you a way to give early feedback, early access to prototypes, early access to mockups, etc, so that we know immediately early on if we're doing it right.
    All the contributions will be GPL licensed (at least we'll be pushing for it). People will be able to vote up and down on patches,

Some of the key features of Omni:
    • Flippable Quick Settings
    • Roadrunner mode
    • Multi-window(!)
    • Daydream enhancements
    • Integrated Performance Control
    • Multi-workspace
    • Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
    • And a bunch more

We're also pushing non-Android stuff, such as OmniInstaller (an all-in-one, multi-platform, open source, installer that anyone can plug in), as well as a Qt library to give Qt Android apps a native Android look, and have gorgeous and super-fast Android apps. We're helping users, and helping developers.

Everything is free, free as in money, and free as in liberty. And transparent.

Edit #1: Regarding device support, we currently support all the Nexus devices, as well as the Oppo Find 5, Xperia Z, Xperia Tablet Z. We have preliminary support for the i9300 as well as the Oppo R819.

Edit #2: We'll have a bunch of developer resouces up soon, giving a head start to newcomers in the Android development world.

I probably didn't cover much things but I'll add more things as they come to my mind. We're having beers here and I'm probably not fully able to do a comprehensive post right now.
    Have some screenshots:

Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-39-54.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-40-02.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-40-24.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-13-00-40-43.png
    I'm overjoyed to see you guys bounce back after the Inc debacle.

Looking forward to compiling, testing and enjoying Omni.:)

NIce! Does that "multiwindow" works flawlessly?without breaking apps?

It will do pretty much. We'll get sources up very very soon (ie. minutes), and gerrit is already live where you can see the MultiWindow patch being reviewed and improved.

In the spirit of open source, if there's something that gives positive improvement on the user experience, and it can be introduced, and people want it, it will be included. There's a balance between "settings inception" (ie. a toggle for your toggle, to toggle text alignment of the clock) and something that isn't customisable, but that will be open to much wider discussion and consultation.

4.3.1 is the current version in use, yes.

Halo and Pie are 2 specific examples, but this is where the community comes in - porting these features should be fairly straightforward. We like to try improve things too where possible :)

I m dying to try this rom.
    Would it be possible to port it using cyanogenmod or aosp as base?

The ROM is based on AOSP, and full sources will be posted today, meaning you can try to build it for yourself. Be aware though, not all chipsets are currently supported - nexus devices will have more luck than other devices for now, but that will obviously change in the coming days and weeks.

They say all nexuses are supported , then where is galaxy nexus support huh ?

I don't believe anyone has one here for testing, hence it has not been listed yet. it WILL be supported, but until it's been tested, it won't go onto the list :)