Will we keep root on kitkat

Search This thread

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
With an update to kitkat happening in the near future I started to think that root may not be so easy. Our bootloader being locked down don't help matters. Right now Kingo is giving users problems and the only other option being vroot.
But what if neither of these work with kitkat?
I will not take an update until I confirm root is possible.
If there's any devs out there that can unlock this bad boy please don't give up.
So what's everyone else think?

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
I think that in the future people who want root will need to buy a developer's edition.

Frank

SGH-I717(AoCP6.4), SM-N900V/MI9(dlV), XDA Premium

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
I think that in the future people who want root will need to buy a developer's edition.

Frank

True but the unfortunate thing is Verizon and or Samsung don't make enough available.
Would be nice if they started to manufacture more dev units in the future.
Or Verizon can just unlock the bootloaders.

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
True but the unfortunate thing is Verizon and or Samsung don't make enough available.
I'm guessing that they will make more. There will, and may now be, some significant legal difference between the two. A lot of people want rooted phones so when bootloaders are no longer exploitable they will come up with a scheme to exploit those root-wanters.

Frank

Reactions: Harleydroid

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
I heard a while ago that kitkat could break some root apps. I wonder if anyone is experiencing that?
I haven't heard anyone say anything about it so hopefully that's not a factor anymore.

G

GuestK00143

I heard a while ago that kitkat could break some root apps. I wonder if anyone is experiencing that?
I haven't heard anyone say anything about it so hopefully that's not a factor anymore.
Look up Chainfire on Google+ he has a write up on root breakage with KitKat in his community. Lots of good stuff there.

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
Anybody hear any news on kitkat for us Verizon guys?
I see Tmo guys have been able to root 4.4.2 with Chainfires CF Autoroot tool but it trips knox.
Wonder how this is going to be for us?

??Tapped via my Blacked out Eclipse Note 3??

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
Everything I've read about how Kitkat screws up access to SD card makes me want to have no part of it. When I hear it is coming to vzw I plan to root and try to figure out how to stay stock mje and block updates. The only thing I really want fixed is the compass and since Nobody admits it's a problem I don't expect any update to fix it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
Everything I've read about how Kitkat screws up access to SD card makes me want to have no part of it. When I hear it is coming to vzw I plan to root and try to figure out how to stay stock mje and block updates. The only thing I really want fixed is the compass and since Nobody admits it's a problem I don't expect any update to fix it.

Yes from what I have read guys are not happy with the kitkat update. Of course thats on the other carriers.
I guess we will just have to wait and see

?Tapped via my Blacked out Eclipsed Note 3?

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
,Kitkat is Kitkat. No way we'll have free access to our sd cards

sulla65

Feb 11, 2012
Kingo doesn't work for the Tmo guys.
But it's possible they might update it to work in the future I guess.

??Tapped via my Blacked out Eclipsed Note 3??

Tmobile guys don't need kingo to root since they have an unlocked bootloader. If it wasn't for t-mobile's poor network compared to verizon I'd switch in a heat beat.

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
Tmobile guys don't need kingo to root since they have an unlocked bootloader. If it wasn't for t-mobile's poor network compared to verizon I'd switch in a heat beat.

They were having trouble rooting the kitkat build on tmo. My friend just picked up a tmo note 3 and the only way for him to root was to use chainfires CF autoroot but it trips knox. Which he didn't care.

?Tapped via my Blacked out Eclipsed Note 3?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    not worth update

Yeah that's the source I heard it from a while back. I will have to check out his G+

i have KK on another phone(razr maxx) and no root problems. the difference btw jb and kk isn't worth any potential problems. kk is such a minor update i won't update the note3 until a root is out there and tested
    I'm guessing that they will make more. There will, and may now be, some significant legal difference between the two. A lot of people want rooted phones so when bootloaders are no longer exploitable they will come up with a scheme to exploit those root-wanters.

Frank

Thought we were talking about Verizon?

Lol yes we are I was just saying that kingo didn't work for them but was before kitkat.

??Tapped via my Blacked out Eclipsed Note 3??