Called BB today for some info...

Search This thread

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
The salesguy told me that pre-ordering will start on Feb. 20 and that the actual launch day has yet to be confirmed because "google is still doing last minute tweaks to Honeycomb." They're hoping for February 27th.

Also, he said he is unaware of the wifi-only model--I assume he means when it will be released since we have confirmation that one does exist.

Any finally, most interesting, is that if you buy a 3G version, in order to upgrade it to 4G, Motorola will be sending you an empty box to ship the xoom back to them so they can make the upgrade. They are promising a one week turn-around.

This guy may be ill-informed but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Just an FYI to the community.

BTW: I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (called local BB)

Last edited:

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
The 4G upgrade is software based and we'll get it OTA.

I would think that the Xooms are already boxed up sitting in a warehouse. However, I really dont know how quick they can go from the production line to shipping to the stores... but it may be possible to so that within a few days.

I hope its not pushed back, but I'd rather have a good experience out of the box then wait 2-3 weeks for an OTA patch.

Reactions: Arun01

socomdark

Sep 7, 2010

I would think that the Xooms are already boxed up sitting in a warehouse. However, I really dont know how quick they can go from the production line to shipping to the stores... but it may be possible to so that within a few days.

I hope its not pushed back, but I'd rather have a good experience out of the box then wait 2-3 weeks for an OTA patch.

no the guy was right, the xoom comes with a evdo radio only. they have to add the lte radio in there but its at no cost. their probably is an ota for 4g but its not the only requirement. im ready to pick one up my self but if it comes with better experience for me later then i can wait.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
no the guy was right, the xoom comes with a evdo radio only. they have to add the lte radio in there but its at no cost. their probably is an ota for 4g but its not the only requirement. im ready to pick one up my self but if it comes with better experience for me later then i can wait.

I was thinking it was some chip to replace, then I stumbled on another tech site that simply stated it was a software patch.

Sending the Xoom to MOTO for chip replacement is going to cost MOTO 100's of thousands of dollars; i dont get it. Unless we have to pay for shipping.

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
If sending it in is a requirement I think they need to disclose that in advance. If I was buying one and the LTE upgrade was a factor, I wouldn't want to have to send it in to be upgraded and be without it for a week or more.

Think I'll wait longer for the WiFi model than deal with that.

socomdark

Sep 7, 2010
I could have sworn that they said the LTE update would be OTA during CES, but I admit, I could be wrong.

here's a link from androidcentral

http://www.androidcentral.com/motor...ardware-upgrade-4g-software-patch-microsd-use

it wasnt the link i was looking for but i know androidcentral is also a credible source but if you search for it you will see that it needs a hardware upgrade. As for the upgrades costing motorola, they are probably already getting their cut from the price of the xoom. Sanjay said the price of the xoom is justifiable because its 4g upgradeable which might mean they already figured in the cost of 4g upgrade with original price of xoom. It sucks for us because those who arent in 4g coverage are getting charged for it but its a smart move by moto since 100% of the tablets they sell wont be all coming back.

pathtologos

Mar 9, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
The more I read, the more I want to wait for wifi only. I hear that Costco has a 90 day return policy. I want the tablet so bad, I may spring for one and hope the wifi model comes out b4 the 90 days...:cool:

Sirchuk

Jul 12, 2009
here's a link from androidcentral

http://www.androidcentral.com/motor...ardware-upgrade-4g-software-patch-microsd-use

it wasnt the link i was looking for but i know androidcentral is also a credible source but if you search for it you will see that it needs a hardware upgrade. As for the upgrades costing motorola, they are probably already getting their cut from the price of the xoom. Sanjay said the price of the xoom is justifiable because its 4g upgradeable which might mean they already figured in the cost of 4g upgrade with original price of xoom. It sucks for us because those who arent in 4g coverage are getting charged for it but its a smart move by moto since 100% of the tablets they sell wont be all coming back.

Good point. I would have done the same thing if I was them. Probably only going to get a 40% return, if that, for the 4G upgrade. It's all just added revenue to them. And once the LTE upgrade is installed on new out-the-door units, they'll still be making a larger profit due to the higher price.

The $200 difference between WiFi and the 3G model make a lot more sense now if you've got to send it in.

socomdark

Sep 7, 2010
The salesguy told me that pre-ordering will start on Feb. 20 and that the actual launch day has yet to be confirmed because "google is still doing last minute tweaks to Honeycomb." They're hoping for February 27th.

Also, he said he is unaware of the wifi-only model--I assume he means when it will be released since we have confirmation that one does exist.

Any finally, most interesting, is that if you buy a 3G version, in order to upgrade it to 4G, Motorola will be sending you an empty box to ship the xoom back to them so they can make the upgrade. They are promising a one week turn-around.

This guy may be ill-informed but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Just an FYI to the community.

this might be why if it has to do with software.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/16/google-music-itunes-competitor-android

maybe they are adding google music to it. none of the people who had hands on mentioned it. maybe google wanted to sneak in something so they could get a suprise in against the competition.

blozout

Nov 14, 2009

doshost

Feb 18, 2011
MN

Did you talk to the store manager or just sales rep? Let me know the name and I will try and dig a little more. {have several contacts in Minneapolis}

Last edited:

setite

Apr 25, 2006
You should know that you can't trust a single thing a BB employee tells you, even if he was the store manager. Only trust that which is on an official handout. If that employee pulls out a printout like the leaked info.. then you can trust him. To test, just call the same store every 2 hours and see how often you get an employee swear by something different than another employee.

What's more annoying is when you know they have been giving info around preorder time, and they play stupid.

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
If Xoom will be available for pre-order this weekend, I would think they would have announced something by now. What do you guys think?

socomdark

Sep 7, 2010
If Xoom will be available for pre-order this weekend, I would think they would have announced something by now. What do you guys think?

nah they dont announce pre-orders until they are ready for situations that just happened. if they would have announced that pre-order for the 17th and didnt have them ready, then people would have been raging all over the place just like how they did with the thunderbolt.

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
nah they dont announce pre-orders until they are ready for situations that just happened. if they would have announced that pre-order for the 17th and didnt have them ready, then people would have been raging all over the place just like how they did with the thunderbolt.

Well I registered for updates on motorola/xoom site and I am supposed to be the first to know when it is available! :) I guess we continue to wait.

Slimgym20

Feb 1, 2009
I stopped by BB today. All the reps said presale starts tomorrow and device in stores on 24th (though they didn't know much, including price, I informed them haha - but recent emails stated these dates). Asked them if they matched price, incase Costco is $100 cheaper, said it depends. I would think they'd match competition though...

Also, I don't recall the Atrix presale being announced officially until the day of - I'd imagine the Xoom being done the same way.

On another post, about wirefly, someone said something about Verizon starting Xoom sales on the 23, anyone else hear this?

Last edited:

Arun01

Feb 6, 2011
Well I registered for updates on motorola/xoom site and I am supposed to be the first to know when it is available! :) I guess we continue to wait.

Yea i registered too but haven't received a single update..not a one lol...so much for that..they probaly will email you a week from now lol

bwcorvus

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 15, 2010
Asked them if they matched price, incase Costco is $100 cheaper, said it depends. I would think they'd match competition though...

Everyone that has come into COSTCO talking about can i get a printout of this price so someone will match it, comes back saying they didn't match it. Most business will say price match except so and so and so...one being warehouse clubs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.