[Q] Heavy battery drain on stock

Search This thread

LilProphet

Dec 8, 2011
Szentendre
www.revertbnation.com
Hey, I've been using stock 4.1.2+ExperiencedKernel for a long time, it always worked great, but a few days ago I installed an icon pack for KKLauncher, and since then my battery consumption got really bad, around 15-20% per hour when the display is off! I've tried deleting the icon pack, but it's the same, I'm even checking BetterBatteryStats for details, but it doesn't show anything suspicious, although I'm using the app for the first time, so maybe I overlooked something. I have also reflashed the rom+kernel with full wipe, but no luck. Can anyone tell me what can cause this mess, or what should I upload from BetterBatteryStats for someone to check the problem? Thanks in advance.

btw it goes to deep sleep well, so it's not an app that wakes it up constantly (I use greenify too). also the phone itself is very hot, don't know if it's just the battery or the whole thing... but the phone functions correctly.

Last edited:
Hey, I've been using stock 4.1.2+ExperiencedKernel for a long time, it always worked great, but a few days ago I installed an icon pack for KKLauncher, and since then my battery consumption got really bad, around 15-20% per hour when the display is off! I've tried deleting the icon pack, but it's the same, I'm even checking BetterBatteryStats for details, but it doesn't show anything suspicious, although I'm using the app for the first time, so maybe I overlooked something. I have also reflashed the rom+kernel with full wipe, but no luck. Can anyone tell me what can cause this mess, or what should I upload from BetterBatteryStats for someone to check the problem? Thanks in advance.

btw it goes to deep sleep well, so it's not an app that wakes it up constantly (I use greenify too). also the phone itself is very hot, don't know if it's just the battery or the whole thing... but the phone functions correctly.

If you don't have any wakelocks keeping it awake and you've reflashed the ROM, kernel and did a full wipe and the battery drain still exists... Then I'd say your battery is failing, especially if it's getting hot. My L9 never gets hot, even under heavy use.
The only other thing you could really try is flashing back to stock and see if the problem is still there... Really though, I'm pretty sure it's your battery.

Reactions: LilProphet

LilProphet

Dec 8, 2011
Szentendre
www.revertbnation.com
If you don't have any wakelocks keeping it awake and you've reflashed the ROM, kernel and did a full wipe and the battery drain still exists... Then I'd say your battery is failing, especially if it's getting hot. My L9 never gets hot, even under heavy use.
The only other thing you could really try is flashing back to stock and see if the problem is still there... Really though, I'm pretty sure it's your battery.
Hi, thanks for your answer. The problem is, the phone gets really hot on the upper side of it, near the camera. The battery never gets hot at all. Is it possible, if it's battery problem?

Hi, thanks for your answer. The problem is, the phone gets really hot on the upper side of it, near the camera. The battery never gets hot at all. Is it possible, if it's battery problem?

I thought you meant that the battery was getting hot. The last time I had a battery go out, it was getting hot and it was draining fast. Shortly after that it wouldn't take a charge anymore.

It is possible that it's a hardware issue. WiFi, GPS or the camera could cause it to get hot also.
You can also try and boot the phone into "Safe Mode" and run it like that for a day or two and see if the problem still exists. If it problem disappears while in Safe Mode then you have a rogue app or something that's causing the issue.
Then to narrow it down you could try downloading Wakelock Detector and see if something is keeping it awake, making it hot and drain the battery.
Monitor it with Better Battery Stats and Wake lock Detector. Post some screen shots of BBS and Wakelock Detector here too. That way we can see if something is going on.
This is one of those issues that will take a process of elimination to figure out.

LilProphet

Dec 8, 2011
Szentendre
www.revertbnation.com
I thought you meant that the battery was getting hot. The last time I had a battery go out, it was getting hot and it was draining fast. Shortly after that it wouldn't take a charge anymore.

It is possible that it's a hardware issue. WiFi, GPS or the camera could cause it to get hot also.
You can also try and boot the phone into "Safe Mode" and run it like that for a day or two and see if the problem still exists. If it problem disappears while in Safe Mode then you have a rogue app or something that's causing the issue.
Then to narrow it down you could try downloading Wakelock Detector and see if something is keeping it awake, making it hot and drain the battery.
Monitor it with Better Battery Stats and Wake lock Detector. Post some screen shots of BBS and Wakelock Detector here too. That way we can see if something is going on.
This is one of those issues that will take a process of elimination to figure out.
I've been using BBS, it shows that the phone is in deep sleep in most of its off time, no app wakes it up. Also, wifi seems to lose its signal very often, even though it's strong (there wasn't any problem with that before).

I'm using the phone now without SD and SIM cards, it doesn't seem to be that hot than it used to, but charging and draining are still very weak. I'm gonna try safe mode as you suggested, and also using the phone without wifi turned on, if that is the issue. Thanks for your tips.

LilProphet

Dec 8, 2011
Szentendre
www.revertbnation.com
So, the phone cooled down after I turned off wifi, then I rebooted to safe mode, and it became hot once again, but after the media scanning, it cooled down once again. So I guess it may be the CPU? I've been trying to get a picture of the phone's circuit board with no luck, because the phone is only warm in the upper 1/3, the other parts seem to be cooled down all the time.

I'm gonna return it to T-Mobile on Monday, hopefully they won't notice the unlocked bootloader.

So, the phone cooled down after I turned off wifi, then I rebooted to safe mode, and it became hot once again, but after the media scanning, it cooled down once again. So I guess it may be the CPU? I've been trying to get a picture of the phone's circuit board with no luck, because the phone is only warm in the upper 1/3, the other parts seem to be cooled down all the time.

I'm gonna return it to T-Mobile on Monday, hopefully they won't notice the unlocked bootloader.

Yeah it might be the CPU. Also if it's dropping and/or scanning a lot for WiFi, then it will definitely get hot and kill the battery quickly.

I don't think that T-Mobile will notice that it's unlocked. As long as you flash back to stock ROM before taking it in, then they probably won't notice. They would have to be purposely looking for it to be unlocked.

You might want to flash back to stock anyway and see if the problem is still there... It very well could be a ROM/kernel issue causing the problem.

LilProphet

Dec 8, 2011
Szentendre
www.revertbnation.com
Yeah it might be the CPU. Also if it's dropping and/or scanning a lot for WiFi, then it will definitely get hot and kill the battery quickly.

I don't think that T-Mobile will notice that it's unlocked. As long as you flash back to stock ROM before taking it in, then they probably won't notice. They would have to be purposely looking for it to be unlocked.

You might want to flash back to stock anyway and see if the problem is still there... It very well could be a ROM/kernel issue causing the problem.
I have flashed back stock one I've been using (cwm flashable), of course I will remove root and any suspicious apps. I appreciate your help.

Sent from my LG-P760 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.