Votes: 47 88.7%
  • No. I like the stock cradle.

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

keedog

May 11, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Because I've seen the apple watch sporting a similar charger, I wouldn't doubt that Apple has the patent and sent him either a seize and desist order or paid em to stop making them. :0(

theroblog.com

Mar 26, 2011
Has anyone opened one of the cheap ones on Ebay to see if it can be modded to be magnetic?

I got in on the Cowboom sale for two in 'Satisfactory' condition from Chino, but no charger included so I had to order this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400752671564

I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to add a rare earth magnet to it. Looks like it could be opened and have lots of room inside.

I wonder if the speaker next to the pogo pins has enough metal in it to hold it to a magnet.

Last edited:

Herbert3t

Apr 11, 2016
Samsung should release is a nice dock stand for these watches. I hated the Galaxy Gear 'photo frame' cradle. I am not very keen on the new 'snap on' cradle for the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo.

I do not mind either cradle for occasional data transfer/connection, but for daily charging, why can't they sell the charging cradle they give to retailers to display the watches..

It sits on the counter, you take the watch off and just sit it into the cradle. There is a small magnet inside that pulls your watch into place and keeps it firmly connected to the two charging pins. It's already been designed and manufactured, now just make them in both white and black and offer them for sale. I'll take two.

--

i need one in black

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't see a power connection to those store docks. Do they have one to charge the watch?

Those do have a charging cord that comes out the back/bottom of the unit. They only have 2 pogo pins, not 5, so they are for charging only. That's how they keep the display watches charged. I checked out on of the units at Best Buy and tried to convince they guy to sell it to me. :p but he wouldnt/couldnt.
    Here is another angle of a retail dock. We obviously don't need the security cord. ;)
    possible problem?

So i ran some small magnets over the back of my watch and in the small space that the back has, I think there would need to be four magnets to hold it in a:
    +-
    -+
    configuration, but even after doing it I didn't create the same pull that the store stands do. I have a experiment that I'd like someone to run (I won't be going to a bestbuy for awhile). Go in with your gear 2, and neo, and try to put yours on the store stand. Does the stand attract it the same? I am worried that the stronger magnetism is a store version with an alternative (ferrous) backplate to the watch...

If I'm wrong, then I actually might start designing a stand and placing the pins and magnet in it, print the object and ship it for you guys to enjoy. Also, the base seems a bit shower stall like, I may reduce the footprint and make some design changes.
    So i ran some small magnets over the back of my watch and in the small space that the back has, I think there would need to be four magnets to hold it in a:
    +-
    -+
    configuration, but even after doing it I didn't create the same pull that the store stands do. I have a experiment that I'd like someone to run (I won't be going to a bestbuy for awhile). Go in with your gear 2, and neo, and try to put yours on the store stand. Does the stand attract it the same? I am worried that the stronger magnetism is a store version with an alternative (ferrous) backplate to the watch...

If I'm wrong, then I actually might start designing a stand and placing the pins and magnet in it, print the object and ship it for you guys to enjoy. Also, the base seems a bit shower stall like, I may reduce the footprint and make some design changes.

Its possible they are using rare earth magnets.
    I would love to have this to, I pass by the Germany Samsung office sometimes. I could ask them if they would sell me some