[Q] Moto G App Drawer (KK 4.4.3)

Search This thread

Riki_RM

Jun 30, 2014
Santiago
Hi, Today I boought a Moto G, and immediately upgraded and rooted it to Android 4.4.3. (Previously I'd been using a Galaxy S2 and a Xperia S)

The first thing I noticed is the changes in the app drawer, which I hate. I do not like that widgets and apps are mixed, I mean I liked the cycling thru apps in Jelly Bean, and having to select the widgets tab to cycle thru widgets.

Another thing I noticed is that the Moto G doesn't have an options button. While in the App drawer, all 3 buttons are redundant:
Left side button (Where options usually is) is now back, which takes you to the homescreen...
Middle button (Home) Takes you home .... -In Jelly bean you could long press to open recent apps-
Right side button - Opens recent apps

With that in mind you can tell that you're losing a lot of customizing options, for example, I used to click options and hide apps in Galaxy S2, or sort apps alphabetically, by use, recent install, etc...

I guess my questions is: Is there any way to get those features back using the stock launcher?
To sort apps customly, to separate widgets and make the app drawer cycle thru apps like it's supposed to?

I appreciate the help :)

Mickeyvdb

Feb 21, 2014
I assume the launcher you are using is the stock launcher provided in Android.
If you want more options in the app drawer then it would be better to install another launcher.
My prefered launcher is Apex but I know that a lot of people are using Nova as well.
Both very smooth launcher with lots of options.

Reactions: Riki_RM

Riki_RM

Jun 30, 2014
Santiago
If you want more options in the app drawer then it would be better to install another launcher.
My prefered launcher is Apex but I know that a lot of people are using Nova as well.

Hi Mickey, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was using stock launcher at the moment of the question, the question basically was if it was possible with stock launcher... I assumed it was not so I downloaded Nova Launcher, but it also doesn't have the option to customly organize apps, like dragging and dropping one before the other in the drawer. If I hold on an app it takes it to the home screen which is not what I want

Also with Nova I could only separate widgets from apps if I made the drawer scroll vertically, I want horizontal with multiple pages, but widgets on a different tab.

What custom launcher has the option to do these things?

Thank you again for your time

Riki_RM

Jun 30, 2014
Santiago
Solo and Nova

I've tried both solo and Nova launcher but neither has the features I'm looking for, solo offers the option to sort apps but from presets like 'alphabetically, most used, recently used " but I want to sort them manually, I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble finding this option when on previous Android devices was as simple as drag and drop

nlra

Sep 5, 2012
The first thing I noticed is the changes in the app drawer, which I hate.

There are no changes in the app drawer. The stock Google launcher has always worked this way. If your previous devices worked differently, then you were not using the Jellybean launcher, which looked and worked exactly the same way as you are describing.

Middle button (Home) Takes you home .... -In Jelly bean you could long press to open recent apps-

Nope, that was never possible with stock Jellybean. If it worked that way on your S2, it's either because you had installed a third-party launcher or because that is how Samsung's own launcher (is it still called Touchwiz?) worked. I have never used anything other than Nexus or Google Play Edition devices (as well as played around a bit with Cyanogen), so I couldn't say for sure.

I used to click options and hide apps in Galaxy S2, or sort apps alphabetically, by use, recent install, etc...

Those all must be Samsung "innovations."

I guess my questions is: Is there any way to get those features back using the stock launcher?

No, because they were never in the stock launcher. You will have to try various other third-party launchers until you find one you like. I'm generally happy with the stock one, so I'm afraid I would be useless at recommendations.

Good luck,

-- Nathan

vlt96

Oct 9, 2011
I've tried both solo and Nova launcher but neither has the features I'm looking for, solo offers the option to sort apps but from presets like 'alphabetically, most used, recently used " but I want to sort them manually, I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble finding this option when on previous Android devices was as simple as drag and drop
You are looking for Nemus Launcher

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think Solo Launcher has the features you require.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Free mobile app