Inconsistent charging speed

Search This thread

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Hello,

Lately I've been having a weird issue with charging my I9300 device:

When I charge the device using the charger (which is original, by Samsung) , sometimes it takes a huge amount of time to charge, and if I also use the device (even for simple things) it actually drains the battery instead of charging it.

I've installed "Galaxy charging current" app, which also shows weird results:
When I have this issue, the average/maximum value is about 400mA or even 100mA , but when I disconnect the USB from the device and reconnect it, the values can change to 900 or 999 or even a bit higher.

My device is running on CM rom version "11-20140612-NIGHTLY-i9300" .
I'm not sure if it's related to the rom , the kernel or something about the hardware.

I've checked the battery status by going to a hidden (?) setting (using my app btw) of "Testing"->"Battery information", and saw that for "battery health", it says "Good". Attached a screenshot of what I see.

Can anyone please help?

Also, is there maybe an app that can warn me when the device is being charged yet it has the battery being drained? Or maybe give me an estimated time till the battery will finish being charged? I also hope that such an app won't drain the battery by itself... :)

Attachments

• device-2014-06-13-021157.png
    device-2014-06-13-021157.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

nkirk

Mar 27, 2013
Xiaomi Poco F3
This behaviour is caused due to the inbuilt charging protection mechanisms.

Its usually the cable. Samsung one is known to be crappy. Get a proper one and try.

If you are still experiencing issues plug it in to a different port. Front panel USB ports are sometimes too weak to supply high currents

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
This behaviour is caused due to the inbuilt charging protection mechanisms.

Its usually the cable. Samsung one is known to be crappy. Get a proper one and try.

If you are still experiencing issues plug it in to a different port. Front panel USB ports are sometimes too weak to supply high currents

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

Is it possible it's just the cable and not the charger?
I thought that cables are "stupid" .

EDIT: that's weird.
I tried 2 other cables: an old one of LG, and a new one of Chromecast. Both showed about 460mA in the app, no matter how many times I re-connected the device to them.

I've also tried to connect the Samsung's USB to the computer's front USB, and it gave me 400mA, but I think this is more expected.

Do you think that using a different new USB cable will solve it? or maybe it's the charger?

EDIT: just tried a new Samsung USB, and it seems to work just fine.
I didn't know USB cables are so different.

Last edited:

sseennoonn

May 23, 2014
i olso had problem with charging..stock charger ...slow charging and battery drain on charge ....it was a problem with wall charge unit ...i used other phone's charger but max on that was 700 mAh and phone charged normaly.(but slowly)..now again my stock charger is working again plus i have 2m cable aftermarket ....can that be a softvare issue...if unit isn't good than it souldn't charge now normaly