Native Facebook push notifications RESOLVED

Search This thread

jpc0480

Apr 22, 2008
Amsterdam, NL
Ok I have been searching for a while now on a resolution for this and recently found it on another forum. There is a similar post here on XDA and I think because the user posted it under his specific phone model is why it is not getting much love.

***Not meant to step on anyone's toes. Really just wanted to get this out here so that everyone could finally enjoy!!! Mods delete if this is redundant.

To get FB push notifications working here are a couple of things you can do:

Get a Blackberry device. Any one will work that has the FB app. If you don't have access to a BB you can download a simulator from BB. Go here to get your BB simulator. I went with the Storm II since I looked at one a long time ago when I contemplated my switch to a Droid. Glad I never went with BB lol. In order for the simulator to work on your PC you will need the Java Dev-kit which can be downloaded directly from Java or just click here

Install the Java first and then run the installation for BB sim. I have Win 7 and it took me less than 10 min total for both.

Once you have everything installed go to your Facebook app on your Droid and clear cache and data and logout of your Facebook app. I know you will lose everything, but you will get it all back in just a moment along with NOTIFICATIONS!! Launch the BB simulator. Once the mock phone loads on your PC launch the Browser on the BB simulator and point it to facebook.com. It should give you a suggestion to download the app for Blackberry. Click the link and follow the instructions and in moments you will have the FB app on your BB. Once the app is done installing login with you credentials. Once you login accept all permissions. I even selected to remove email notifications within the BB Facebook app so I could see that it worked. I also made a status update just to see if FB in fact recognized my update and sure enough it said Facebook for Blackberry. If you have a physical BB you probably don't need to download the app so you could just skip that step.

Now go to Facebook.com from a PC and go to Account Settings. On the left hand side go to Notifications. Scroll down the page to where you see other Notifications. Click that and there you should see Facebook for BlackBerry® smartphones. Clear the checkbox and hit save, then add the check back to the box and hit save again. Now logout of FB for the BB sim and shutdown the sim. Go back to your droid and login to your FB app. Select whatever you prefer for syncing your contacts and then go to Settings and make sure that notifications are set to active(checked). The refresh interval has nothing to do with notifications, its just how often do you want the app to refresh the newsfeed in the background. I have mine set to never. Everything is now done and should be all set. Whatever you do, DO NOT DELETE THE Facebook for BlackBerry® smartphones application on Facebook or you will have to do this all over again.

Works like a charm. I now get notifications immediately for chat, comments, mentions, messages. They all come through perfectly. In most cases I get them faster than I do on the Browser for the PC.

If and when FB gives us another app update you may need reset the permissions for the notifications again. Just login from a PC and go back to your Account Settings ---> Notifications ---> Other Applications and uncheck the BB box and hit save recheck and hit save and all is well. I had to do that with the most recent update, but everything still works flawlessly.

Last edited:

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Are you kidding?????????
In the Facebook app, I've set update rate to "Never" and ticked all the notification options and I do get push notifications fast and reliably for the last few months.
We don't need access to a BB.
Occam's razor. :p

2eb02a89-b930-9994.jpg

Reactions: DanteGR

jpc0480

Apr 22, 2008
Amsterdam, NL
Are you kidding?????????
In the Facebook app, I've set update rate to "Never" and ticked all the notification options and I do get push notifications fast and reliably for the last few months.

2eb02a89-b930-9994.jpg

You do need access to a BB. For some reason when using a BB to access your Facebook account activates push. Try it out. Either find a friend or use a simulator from my earlier post. As soon as I performed the following my push started working.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
You do need access to a BB. For some reason when using a BB to access your Facebook account activates push. Try it out. Either find a friend or use a simulator from my earlier post. As soon as I performed the following my push started working.

But Push works just fine for me!!!
That's what I said.
You just need to set the Refresh Interval to "Never" and Notifications to ON, in the Android app.

Your method is obsolete, not to mention inconvenient.

Last edited:

Tirozz

Jul 9, 2011
That's what I said.
You just need to set the Refresh Interval to "Never" and Notifications to ON, in the Android app.

Sorry, but no, push does not work for alot of people, including myself (HTC Sensation). It seems that users that have never logged in on either an Iphone or BB experience the most problems. These 2 seem to add an option to your Facebook-account regarding push updates (see OP), which the Android version doesn't seem to do. For more users experiencing problems see http://www.facebook.com/android/posts/131145080279409 for example

I will try this option and let you know if it works! :D

Reactions: freedomispopular

jpc0480

Apr 22, 2008
Amsterdam, NL
Sorry, but no, push does not work for alot of people, including myself (HTC Sensation). It seems that users that have never logged in on either an Iphone or BB experience the most problems. These 2 seem to add an option to your Facebook-account regarding push updates (see OP), which the Android version doesn't seem to do. For more users experiencing problems see http://www.facebook.com/android/posts/131145080279409 for example

Exactly. If you've had a BB or an iPhone then you probably won't have the issue. It does have something to do with a service that both the BB and the iPhone invoke. I have a sensation too and this method worked for me. Let me know what you come up with.

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland

This combination of options (refresh Never - notifications On) is actually how you enable Push Notifications. Facebook stupidly enough didn't make it more clear in the app settings. Hence most of the confusion.
All I'm saying is I've never owned, used or logged in from an i or BB device and notifications come to my phone annoyingly fast and often! :D

jpc0480

Apr 22, 2008
Amsterdam, NL
This combination of options (refresh Never - notifications On) is actually how you enable Push Notifications. Facebook stupidly enough didn't make it more clear in the app settings. Hence most of the confusion.
All I'm saying is I've never owned, used or logged in from an i or BB device and notifications come to my phone annoyingly fast and often! :D
Actually those are the settings that I have been using for quite sometime and it didn't matter until I logged into my account from a BB. Literally as soon as I did notifications just started rolling in. Trust me I have been trying to figure this out for the last 2 1/2 years I've had a Droid.

And I know I'm not alone as hundreds if not thousands of Droid users are posting here and all over the net on how to get FB push working. It wasn't until recently that I came across this thread on another site that pointed me in the right direction.

jonyid

Sep 14, 2008
Hi im trying this out but when i install java then run the simulator there is just a egg timer on the screen, nothing else...anyone have any ideas?

jpc0480

Apr 22, 2008
Amsterdam, NL
Hi im trying this out but when i install java then run the simulator there is just a egg timer on the screen, nothing else...anyone have any ideas?

If I remember correctly when you launch the simulator it loads up just like if you actually powered a phone on. So it might take a while. Another option would be is to try a different simulator.

Which sim are you using?

jonyid

Sep 14, 2008
Im using the storm 2 as i know it worked for you, its moved to the clock now so fingers crossed its loading slowly

jonyid

Sep 14, 2008
Im in but the browser is very slow and doesnt appear to be loading facebook.com

jpc0480

Apr 22, 2008
Amsterdam, NL
Im in but the browser is very slow and doesnt appear to be loading facebook.com

I think I enabled wifi in the BB phone settings. Seems like that got internet working for me. Play with network settings of the Sim. Treat it as if you were using a real phone that is just not connected to a data plan.

jonyid

Sep 14, 2008
I've now completed the instructions, am going to wait for a notification to come in before i can say whether it has worked or not.

jonyid

Sep 14, 2008
I did indeed and it works fantastically. Appears many people with problems own sensations.... Thanks for your help though dude

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok I have been searching for a while now on a resolution for this and recently found it on another forum. There is a similar post here on XDA and I think because the user posted it under his specific phone model is why it is not getting much love.

***Not meant to step on anyone's toes. Really just wanted to get this out here so that everyone could finally enjoy!!! Mods delete if this is redundant.

To get FB push notifications working here are a couple of things you can do:

Get a Blackberry device. Any one will work that has the FB app. If you don't have access to a BB you can download a simulator from BB. Go here to get your BB simulator. I went with the Storm II since I looked at one a long time ago when I contemplated my switch to a Droid. Glad I never went with BB lol. In order for the simulator to work on your PC you will need the Java Dev-kit which can be downloaded directly from Java or just click here

Install the Java first and then run the installation for BB sim. I have Win 7 and it took me less than 10 min total for both.

Once you have everything installed go to your Facebook app on your Droid and clear cache and data and logout of your Facebook app. I know you will lose everything, but you will get it all back in just a moment along with NOTIFICATIONS!! Launch the BB simulator. Once the mock phone loads on your PC launch the Browser on the BB simulator and point it to facebook.com. It should give you a suggestion to download the app for Blackberry. Click the link and follow the instructions and in moments you will have the FB app on your BB. Once the app is done installing login with you credentials. Once you login accept all permissions. I even selected to remove email notifications within the BB Facebook app so I could see that it worked. I also made a status update just to see if FB in fact recognized my update and sure enough it said Facebook for Blackberry. If you have a physical BB you probably don't need to download the app so you could just skip that step.

Now go to Facebook.com from a PC and go to Account Settings. On the left hand side go to Notifications. Scroll down the page to where you see other Notifications. Click that and there you should see Facebook for BlackBerry® smartphones. Clear the checkbox and hit save, then add the check back to the box and hit save again. Now logout of FB for the BB sim and shutdown the sim. Go back to your droid and login to your FB app. Select whatever you prefer for syncing your contacts and then go to Settings and make sure that notifications are set to active(checked). The refresh interval has nothing to do with notifications, its just how often do you want the app to refresh the newsfeed in the background. I have mine set to never. Everything is now done and should be all set. Whatever you do, DO NOT DELETE THE Facebook for BlackBerry® smartphones application on Facebook or you will have to do this all over again.

Works like a charm. I now get notifications immediately for chat, comments, mentions, messages. They all come through perfectly. In most cases I get them faster than I do on the Browser for the PC.

If and when FB gives us another app update you may need reset the permissions for the notifications again. Just login from a PC and go back to your Account Settings ---> Notifications ---> Other Applications and uncheck the BB box and hit save recheck and hit save and all is well. I had to do that with the most recent update, but everything still works flawlessly.
    Are you kidding?????????

2eb02a89-b930-9994.jpg

That's what I said.

That's what I said.