[Q] Kindle Fire HD Roms?

Search This thread

dalehelton

Sep 22, 2012
I'm just gonna apologize in advance for this question, but I honestly don't know who else to ask. I'm the king of the noobs. There may be some unwritten rule not to ask this question so once again, sorry. I bought this Kindle Fire HD in hopes of custom roms, as I'm sure many did. $200.00 is a lot of money for me and I feel like I'm running out of time to send it back. So are custom roms something that will eventually happen or is it still a mystery? Are the chances really good it will happen or does anyone really know?

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Never buy a new untested device in the hopes that it will get hacked. There was plenty of communication here about the new Kindle Fires being locked down weeks before it was released so that was probably not the best choice for you in the first place. If it gets modified, then it gets modified. If not, well, so be it. If you're worried about being able to exchange it, then go ahead and do so. Don't mess around with your investment. Get something you know suits your needs and be happy with it.

If you're wondering if it will EVER get modified, there's an old saying...

"The only "safe" system, is one that is unplugged, locked up in a safe with the keys, and sitting at the bottom of the ocean. And even then, there's cause for alarm."

Security measures are fallible, because the humans that made them are fallible. It all depends on how badly someone wants it. (I wouldn't hold my breath though)

Reactions: dalehelton

dalehelton

Sep 22, 2012
Never buy a new untested device in the hopes that it will get hacked. There was plenty of communication here about the new Kindle Fires being locked down weeks before it was released so that was probably not the best choice for you in the first place. If it gets modified, then it gets modified. If not, well, so be it. If you're worried about being able to exchange it, then go ahead and do so. Don't mess around with your investment. Get something you know suits your needs and be happy with it.

"The only "safe" system, is one that is unplugged, locked up in a safe with the keys, and sitting at the bottom of the ocean. And even then, there's cause for alarm."

Security measures are fallible, because the humans that made them are fallible. It all depends on how badly someone wants it. (I wouldn't hold my breath though)

Thank you for your quick response. I never even checked any post before it came out. I guess I've learned the hard way. Back it goes.

no99sqrd

Jan 2, 2011
Pretty good when Rooted

Thank you for your quick response. I never even checked any post before it came out. I guess I've learned the hard way. Back it goes.

I have mine rooted with ADW Launcher EX (paid version) installed. That way I basically have a (almost) vanilla Android tablet (without the KFHD skin) running. The home button takes me back to ADW, not Amazon's launcher. :D

But I can still get to all the Amazon goodness by running Launcher.:good:

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
I have mine rooted with ADW Launcher EX (paid version) installed. That way I basically have a (almost) vanilla Android tablet (without the KFHD skin) running. The home button takes me back to ADW, not Amazon's launcher. :D

Including Amazon Prime Video? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: swear0730

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
The launchers are only an alternative skin. It doesn't replace anything else but that. There is an icon to easily get back to the amazon stock launcher so yes, all your amazon apps will work. There are additional icons that will spawn that will take you to video, app store and music. I believe the only one that is non functional with an alternative launcher is the kindle reader. You are forced to go back to the amazon launcher to get it to work. I've read people trying to fiddle with it to get it to work with alternative launchers.

Once roms are released (still dependent on the day the bootloader gets cracked), I'm thinking you will then have to choose either custom amazon or full android.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Including Amazon Prime Video? Thanks in advance.