[Q] I cant root HTC eris

Search This thread

okierzr

Feb 12, 2012
I asked this in the main forum Q&A then i found this Eris sub forum.My son has tried to root his Eris for 2 days,He has tried the htc eris 1 click app from the market, the unrevoked method, and the eris root for dummies. It says rooted after everything he has tried but if you try to use a program like titanium backup it says no root access and root checker say it isn't rooted any help??

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
afaik all 3 of those methods (well, 1-click and dummies for sure) do not modify anything in the normal ROM at all - they only install a custom recovery.

That's why you are seeing the result you do when trying to use root-aware tools in the normal OS - it hasn't been altered even one bit. What is meant by "rooted" in this case is that you have gained privileges to alter the phone (via the custom recovery) - not that the "su" native binary or the "SuperUser.apk" (app) has been installed on your phone.

The "Eris Root for Dummies" thread over on AF is quite explicit about this - you just need to read the first four or five posts carefully. It's got pictures and everything.

By booting the custom recovery, you can:

1) Back up your current ROM (highly recommended before you do anything else).
2) Wipe (data/factory reset) and flash a new ROM, or
3) Perform other customizations

Normally, if you were only going to add the "su" binary and the "SuperUser.apk" app to the existing ROM (I suppose *that* is what you thought was meant by "rooted"), you could do this by flashing the "engtools3.zip" file in the custom recovery.

There is a current thread over in the all things root subsection of AF that has a link to the "engtools3.zip" file. I'll let you find it - I'm feeling a bit lazy right about now.

bftb0

doogald

May 27, 2010
The 1-click app puts a zip file on your SD card that you can flash from Recovery that gives you the SU app and support files that you need in order to get root level access in the stock ROM. I still suggest installing either xtrSENSE or 666 Sense to get an overclocked kernel (and xtrSENSE adds a lot of extra storage space for third party apps.) Both of these you *should* be able to flash over stock without wiping data, so it will keep your settings and apps that you have already installed, though I would do a Nandroid backup first anyway. (If you read the fourth post in the Dummies thread it will walk you through the steps on Nandroid backup and flashing a zip file - just ignore the wipe step if you flash the rootme.zip file or the two sense custom ROMs.)

okierzr

Feb 12, 2012
My son is having a blast with this I bet he will never use a Apple product again.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App