[Q] Problems with superuser su

Search This thread

luisandroid

Aug 9, 2013
I just flashed CM11 onto my Amaze (T-Mobile S-ON) and everything runs fine except when I tried to use titanium to restore my apps, it gave me this message: "Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted, and try again. This attempt was made using the "/system/bin/su" command." I opened Superuser and scrolled to info. It says "superuser v3.1.3 (46)" and "su binary v3.1.1 (17). When I press on the su, it goes to a binary updater which says "downloading manifest," then, after a minute or so, it says "fail" in red at the end of the "downloading manifest" line. I downloaded superuser by CWM after this problem and when I opened the app, it said: "The Superuser binary (su) must be updated. Please choose an installation method. Recovery mode installation is recommended for HTC devices." It gives me the option to press cancel or Recovery Install. When I press recover install, it says: "There was an error installing Superuser. Please send a log of the error to the developer." I went onto the superuser website, downloaded the latest arm su and superuser, put them on my sd card, went into 4ext and installed both from sd card and still have the same problem.

Problem: I can't grant superuser permissions to any apps because something is wrong with my su binary. I tried installing su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip from 4ext and it said the installation was successful, so I do not know what is wrong.

pbergonzi

Jun 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Root?

Problem: I can't grant superuser permissions to any apps because something is wrong with my su binary. I tried installing su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip from 4ext and it said the installation was successful, so I do not know what is wrong.

I think you are not rooted.
Try app "Simple Root Checker" from Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simonedev.simplerootchecker

If not rooted, try this to gain root:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2437057

Reactions: luisandroid

luisandroid

Aug 9, 2013

I used that app and it said: "Android 4.4.2 HTC Amaze 4G Application Superuser found Terminal Rooted Busybox installed BusyBox v1.21.1" So I am guessing I am rooted. Should I try using that tool to flash SuperSU anyway? Thanks for helping me out with this.

pbergonzi

Jun 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
SuperUserSU problems.

I used that app and it said: "Android 4.4.2 HTC Amaze 4G Application Superuser found Terminal Rooted Busybox installed BusyBox v1.21.1" So I am guessing I am rooted. Should I try using that tool to flash SuperSU anyway? Thanks for helping me out with this.

Nice--my mistake. In your Superuser info, where you found your su binary listed "su binary v3.1.1 (17)", did it give the file specs right underneath--it does in mine.
Also, if you go into Superuser app, then Preferences->Security->Automatic Response, is that accidentally set to "Deny?" Betcha' that won't work.
Is Titanium Backup listed in your Superuser apps list, and if you open the info there, is it "Allowed?"
Probably what you said about re-flash Superuser is reasonable, and worth a shot if the Automatic Response is already set to Allow or Prompt.
I'll also wager that someone else with good insight and experience will stop in the thread with a working answer for you.

Reactions: luisandroid

Odysseus1962

Sep 30, 2013
Ripley, TN
I just flashed CM11 onto my Amaze (T-Mobile S-ON) and everything runs fine except when I tried to use titanium to restore my apps, it gave me this message: "Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted, and try again. This attempt was made using the "/system/bin/su" command." I opened Superuser and scrolled to info. It says "superuser v3.1.3 (46)" and "su binary v3.1.1 (17). When I press on the su, it goes to a binary updater which says "downloading manifest," then, after a minute or so, it says "fail" in red at the end of the "downloading manifest" line. I downloaded superuser by CWM after this problem and when I opened the app, it said: "The Superuser binary (su) must be updated. Please choose an installation method. Recovery mode installation is recommended for HTC devices." It gives me the option to press cancel or Recovery Install. When I press recover install, it says: "There was an error installing Superuser. Please send a log of the error to the developer." I went onto the superuser website, downloaded the latest arm su and superuser, put them on my sd card, went into 4ext and installed both from sd card and still have the same problem.

The problem you describe is common with more recent versions of CM (at least I've experienced it). It's due to the way CM is now implementing their included Superuser app, which is different from how it used to behave and how many other apps expect it to behave. The solution is to flash SuperSU in recovery from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 (if it resolves your issues please remember to thank its creator and consider purchasing the full version).

When you set it up, enable "pro" mode, survival mode, allow it to install the scripts, and respect CM root settings. If installed correctly you should be good to go.

I hope this helps

luisandroid

Aug 9, 2013
The problem you describe is common with more recent versions of CM (at least I've experienced it). It's due to the way CM is now implementing their included Superuser app, which is different from how it used to behave and how many other apps expect it to behave. The solution is to flash SuperSU in recovery from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 (if it resolves your issues please remember to thank its creator and consider purchasing the full version).

When you set it up, enable "pro" mode, survival mode, allow it to install the scripts, and respect CM root settings. If installed correctly you should be good to go.

I hope this helps

That solved the problem! Got CM 11 running on my Amaze! I made sure to thank the dev! Thank you for your help as well!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I hope this helps
    Root?

SuperUserSU problems.

Nice--my mistake. In your Superuser info, where you found your su binary listed "su binary v3.1.1 (17)", did it give the file specs right underneath--it does in mine.
    Also, if you go into Superuser app, then Preferences->Security->Automatic Response, is that accidentally set to "Deny?" Betcha' that won't work.
    Is Titanium Backup listed in your Superuser apps list, and if you open the info there, is it "Allowed?"
    Probably what you said about re-flash Superuser is reasonable, and worth a shot if the Automatic Response is already set to Allow or Prompt.
    I'll also wager that someone else with good insight and experience will stop in the thread with a working answer for you.