[ROM] Knox Free KK (I9200XXUDNE4)

Search This thread

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
It took nearly 24 hours to upload due to my dreadful internet connection:eek: but here it is, the latest Android version for the galaxy Mega I9200 AKA Kit Kat I9200XXUDNE4, repacked with a full Knox free bootloader.:good:

DISCLAIMER
I'm not responsible for anything, as usual procede only if you know what you do, and make a backup beforehands in case things go out of control.
This said since this ROM is Knox free you will be able to get back to 4.2.2 or to whatever ROM you want in case you don't like Kit Kat.

IMPORTANT
You can flash this ROM ONLY if you come from a non Knox Rom.
It means that if you were on a ROM that had Knox, like the latest 4.2.2 versions, you can't flash this ROM and in that case you'll have to go for the regular 4.4.2 Knox version available at sammobile.

BEFORE TO FLASH
Get a custom recovery, cuz this ROM comes without any recovery.
Why?
Because at the time I was testing it I kept my custom recovery to see if I could reuse it with Kit Kat, and since it worked, and since I don't want to loose again 24 hours to upload an other ROM with a recovery, you'll have to go like this.
There are plenty of custom recoveries on the forum, as for me I use that one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415294

but you can use any one you like, it doesn't matter as long as it has been installed BEFORE to flash Kit Kat.
Edit
If for some reasons you want to stick to stock recovery head to post #5, I've attached it there with some instructions.

THE FLASH
Download the ROM, unrar it and you'll get a tar.md5 file.
Open ODIN 3.04, put the file in the PDA section.
On your phone, enter download mode (press volume down and start at the same time), then connect it to your computer.
Once it has been recognized by Odin (it gets blue on the left upper case) start the flash.
It will take approx 5 mns before it reboots, that's it.
If everything goes ok it will reboot twice and then it will enter the set up wizard.
It could be that some app forces close and that it reboots one more time, in that case you'll have to enter recovery and format /data (and since you have a custom recovery you can do so without erasing your sd card contents:cool:).

ROOT
Easy, download the latest SuperSU_1.94.zip from the master chainfire, flash it from recovery, reboot, voila.

REMOVING THE LAST KNOX TRACES:
This has to be done manually (I could have done it and repacked/uploaded a new pre rooted ROM with everything done but sorry, my connection is too slow:( )
There are some Knox apps in the /system/app folder and in the system/priv-app folder:
-the ones that have Knox in their name are easy to guess;
-one is called KLMSAgent and should be deleted as well, and so too ContainerAgent.apk, ContainerAgent.odex, ContainerEventsRelayManager.apk and ContainerEventsRelayManager.odex.
In the /system/lib folder delete libknoxdrawglfunction.so.
Delete completely the system/preloadedkiosk folder and the system/preloadedsso folder.
In data/data delete the com.sec.knox.seandroid folder and the com.sec.knox.store, and the other com.sec.knox whatever folders there are.

Enjoy!!!:silly:

Stay tuned, in the coming days I will put some mods here...
I already made a deodexed version but I don't think I will upload it since it takes too long (24 hours again:eek:), so if anyone with a better connection feels like doing it he or she is welcome!

THE LINK?
Here it is:cyclops::

https://mega.co.nz/#!6lhzGaab!zIFiED3APN7_lHAT5YRPbgJqb6lyrLZJwjs-gw9kLEQ

CREDITS
@SilviuMik for the tuto
@Chainfire for the root
@XDA for the opportunities it gives to all of us

Last edited:

trurl3

Apr 12, 2011
Warszawa
-cut-
Why?
Because at the time I was testing it I kept my custom recovery to see if I could reuse it with Kit Kat, and since it worked, and since I don't want to loose again 24 hours to upload an other ROM with a recovery, you'll have to go like this.
-cut-

I expect you are ready for udate and version WITH recovery already started to upload? Please be serious of your work! ;)

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
I expect you are ready for udate and version WITH recovery already started to upload? Please be serious of your work! ;)

Yep, I have to be serious:cyclops: so here it is, I packed a stock recovery in case someone needs it for some reason (s).
It took (only) 15 mns to upload (not bad for a 10 mb file :eek:)...
Download the file, open Odin 3.04, put the file in PDA, flash, now you have KK's stock recovery, boooooo:laugh:

http://d-h.st/PGb

@bnb25
nope, you can't flash the ROM from recovery.
If some people are interested I can upload the deodexed version in the coming days when I have time, unless someone else does it before;)

Last edited:
Reactions: trurl3

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
I flashed somr stock rooted Rom awhile ago on the gf's phone. I been waiting on this update b4 doing anything. The phone acts up. Performance issues. She keeps ot close to full. Moving to sdcard doesn't work anymore. (That broke b4 filling the phone up. But didn't know that when we bought a 16gb sdcard.) So....thus has knox removed. You mentioned stock recovery as an option. You mean the stock kitkat recovery for the phone? Meaning that will introduce knox if you choose it? And if you do choose stock recovery with knox it can be rooted right? Just saying cause usually when first comes out it takes a lil time for someone to root it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

congquer

Jun 21, 2009
Jakarta
i try this rom for 10 minutes and it keep restarting..
so i flash again with ODIN 3.04, and it keep restarting again..
i have wipe data and cache+dalvik, i use twrp recovery.
can you troubleshoot this problem?
thank you :good:

sorry for my bad english...

fpage

Jun 30, 2009
Works fine for me. I had latest official 4.2.2 rom; I then flash a custom recovery and a rooted rom before I flash this rom via odin. After flashing this rom, I wiped it factory reset. All is well for me. 24hrs now. Thumbs up me general.....

Sent from my GT-I9200 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
@ninja_unmatched:
the recovery I attached is the stock KK recovery, and AFAIK it doesn't have Knox in it. About rooting a Knox cursed ROM, some people say it's easy but I don't have any personal experience on that matter.
But anyway, why don't you want to use a custom recovery?
I kept the CWM I had on 4.2.2, and after I upgraded to 4.4.2 it took me 2 minutes to root with Chainfire's SuperSu_1.94.zip...
So now I'm on Knox free KK, with custom recovery and root.

@congquer:
do a full factory reset and see if it helps.

@fpage:
nice to read that it works fine for you!:good:

@all:
if you are rooted and want to enable quad multi windows view (up to 4 apps opened at once on the same screen, fully resizable), check my thread in the themes and apps section..:
One of the best KK's new features cool:...

Last edited:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
Well the girl is like any other nooby internet user. She knows enough to get it infected over and over....lol. Knox actually helps a lil with that. I used to use my phone (Note 3) to check questionable sites out for clients. Knox would do its pop ups alerting me to there being something going on that I do not want. It has actually helped....weird thing sort of. Now of course it doesn't do that anymore but for her......it might lower my headaches if you know what I mean?

But...no I'm about to try it out now anyways after I backup her phone.

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
It could be that some app forces close and that it reboots one more time, in that case you'll have to enter recovery and format /data

This step right here causes the same boot loop mentioned. An app forces closes just like you said. soon as you format /data after a reboot it goes into a boot loop. I am also using TWRP 2.7

fpage

Jun 30, 2009
I am rooted and working like a charm. Quad window working and alot of modules via xposed installer.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
Well it didn't work for me. And the supersu only caused freezing then reboot. I just went and flashed stock. Maybe I'll root it later. The process also messed with the sdcard. Made it unreadable. So I used an app (Called Photorec) to recover some of the files from the 16gb sdcard she has.

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
@ninja_unmatched:
your girl seems to be like mine, willy to use the phone but messing it all the time, and then calling her man to fix it:cyclops:.
But you are worse tham me cuz you use her phone as a guinea pig!:p
The problem with SuperSu is that at first you can't install it a a system app.
In order to fix this you'll need either twrp recovery or aroma file manager ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1646108 ) and do as follows:
-download SuperSu zip,
-extract the app from the zip but keep the zip intact,
-flash the SuperSu zip,
-do not reboot but go to your file system while still in recovery, either from the twrp menu or by flashing the aroma file manager file,
-delete SuperSu from the system/app folder,
-reboot,
-install the SuperSu apk manually as you would with any apk.
Now you are rooted, and your SuperSu being on your data/app folder it doesn't force close anymore.
Later you can convert SuperSu into a system app from the apk's settings.
But this force close is a problem on KK, cuz everytime an app FC (not only SuperSu) the phone reboots, pretty annoying and definitely a deal breaker for me.
The messing with the files is another problem, it's because somehow KK uses another format than JB. But this one is easy to overcome, just connect your phone to your computer and copy the files to it, or you can copy them from recovery/aroma file manager (that's what I did, at first I thought it was gone but nope, it's just a format stoy) to anywhere on your phone.
@fpage:
I'm happy for you if everything works:good:
@serpentlord:
salaam manis dari Jowo!:laugh:
Are you rooted? Sorry if the question sounds obvious, but if you are then deleting the Knox apks shouldn't be a problem.
Otherwise if it doesn't work, use aroma file manager (see above, and don't forget to push thanks for @amarullz our dev from Bandung!) and delete the Knox stuff from within recovery.

That said I went back to 4.2.2, this KK is plagued with bugs and I don't like the new multi windows implementation, so until they make a more stable version and until I find out whether I can implement some of JB's multi windows functions in it or not I'll stick to 4.2.2...
I'll make soon a thread about specific KK's bugs, hopefully sammy will listen but don't hold your breath:eek:

ninja_unmatched

Dec 21, 2007
ninjatechc.com
A guinea pig....lol. yeah. Only thing I ever did was flash a stock 4.2.2 rooted Rom. For wifi tethering purposes. It was fine for awhile. She starts complaining about it....I find she filled the thing up. Apps, apps, apps, mad games. I move some of the apps to the 8gb card. That helped. Later she fills it up again. I get a 16gb card and then find out it won't move anything to the card. Broke that somewhere after the 8gb card move. She goes on facebook and clicks on those questionable site posts and jave you sign up while giving them permission to post on your profile and all sorts if sites I find are questionable. That and apps from blackmart and from that site that offers hacked android games/apps.

So far now she seems fine on the stock official 4.4.2. It has a few widgets and apps in Russian. I've seen a few bugs that clear up on their own.
1. The lock screen took a bit to update. (What I mean is this. I know when playing music will say Milk it will show also on the lock screen. It wasn't doing that. Had to reboot to get that going.)

2. There is an app called Wish. It allows you to send something you think another person would be interested in that also has wish. That feature doesn't work to well. You can choose facebook or google+. FB no work at all. I think that is some other reason for that one. Google+ works but only if you choose the regular browser. Through chrome the page doesn't pop up woth the option to use the app to open the link.

And generally I've just run into these lil quarks that eventually just start working. Or partially work enough to get by.

Last edited:

serpentlord

Nov 30, 2012
Jakarta
salaam manis dari Jowo!:laugh:
Are you rooted? Sorry if the question sounds obvious, but if you are then deleting the Knox apks shouldn't be a problem.
Otherwise if it doesn't work, use aroma file manager (see above, and don't forget to push thanks for @amarullz our dev from Bandung!) and delete the Knox stuff from within recovery.

That said I went back to 4.2.2, this KK is plagued with bugs and I don't like the new multi windows implementation, so until they make a more stable version and until I find out whether I can implement some of JB's multi windows functions in it or not I'll stick to 4.2.2...
I'll make soon a thread about specific KK's bugs, hopefully sammy will listen but don't hold your breath:eek:

Salam manis dari Jakarta! :laugh:
Yes, my device is rooted. I've tried root browser, root explorer and soon. but it ends with the same result. I wonder why.

And my device also keep restarting every 10 minutes. Is it a bug?

unclefab

Jun 23, 2012
@ninja_unmatched:
I can't tell about this wish.apk and widgets, at the time I was still on 4.4.2 I had stripped the Rom down to only about 20 system apps.
I allways do this on my ROMs cuz I don't like stock apps, I rather uninstall all that stuff and replace it by third part apps that are easier to manage and not so much on the spying/bloatware side...

@serpentlord:
what happens is probably that you have an app that forces closes, and this is what makes the phone reboot. I had the same problem and in my case it was youtube, in your case it could be any other app.
Just start your phone and keep an eye on it until it says "sorry app whatever has closed". Then if it reboots you know from wish app it comes and you can uninstall it and/or replace it with another app or another version from the same app.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It took nearly 24 hours to upload due to my dreadful internet connection:eek: but here it is, the latest Android version for the galaxy Mega I9200 AKA Kit Kat I9200XXUDNE4, repacked with a full Knox free bootloader.:good:

DISCLAIMER
    I'm not responsible for anything, as usual procede only if you know what you do, and make a backup beforehands in case things go out of control.
    This said since this ROM is Knox free you will be able to get back to 4.2.2 or to whatever ROM you want in case you don't like Kit Kat.

IMPORTANT
    You can flash this ROM ONLY if you come from a non Knox Rom.
    It means that if you were on a ROM that had Knox, like the latest 4.2.2 versions, you can't flash this ROM and in that case you'll have to go for the regular 4.4.2 Knox version available at sammobile.

BEFORE TO FLASH
    Why?
    There are plenty of custom recoveries on the forum, as for me I use that one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415294

but you can use any one you like, it doesn't matter as long as it has been installed BEFORE to flash Kit Kat.
    Edit
    If for some reasons you want to stick to stock recovery head to post #5, I've attached it there with some instructions.

THE FLASH
    Download the ROM, unrar it and you'll get a tar.md5 file.
    Open ODIN 3.04, put the file in the PDA section.
    On your phone, enter download mode (press volume down and start at the same time), then connect it to your computer.
    Once it has been recognized by Odin (it gets blue on the left upper case) start the flash.
    It will take approx 5 mns before it reboots, that's it.
    If everything goes ok it will reboot twice and then it will enter the set up wizard.
    It could be that some app forces close and that it reboots one more time, in that case you'll have to enter recovery and format /data (and since you have a custom recovery you can do so without erasing your sd card contents:cool:).

ROOT
    Easy, download the latest SuperSU_1.94.zip from the master chainfire, flash it from recovery, reboot, voila.

REMOVING THE LAST KNOX TRACES:
    This has to be done manually (I could have done it and repacked/uploaded a new pre rooted ROM with everything done but sorry, my connection is too slow:( )
    There are some Knox apps in the /system/app folder and in the system/priv-app folder:
    -the ones that have Knox in their name are easy to guess;
    -one is called KLMSAgent and should be deleted as well, and so too ContainerAgent.apk, ContainerAgent.odex, ContainerEventsRelayManager.apk and ContainerEventsRelayManager.odex.
    In the /system/lib folder delete libknoxdrawglfunction.so.
    Delete completely the system/preloadedkiosk folder and the system/preloadedsso folder.
    In data/data delete the com.sec.knox.seandroid folder and the com.sec.knox.store, and the other com.sec.knox whatever folders there are.

Enjoy!!!:silly:

Stay tuned, in the coming days I will put some mods here...
    I already made a deodexed version but I don't think I will upload it since it takes too long (24 hours again:eek:), so if anyone with a better connection feels like doing it he or she is welcome!

THE LINK?
    Here it is:cyclops::

https://mega.co.nz/#!6lhzGaab!zIFiED3APN7_lHAT5YRPbgJqb6lyrLZJwjs-gw9kLEQ

CREDITS
    @SilviuMik for the tuto
    @Chainfire for the root
    @XDA for the opportunities it gives to all of us

Yep, I have to be serious:cyclops: so here it is, I packed a stock recovery in case someone needs it for some reason (s).
    It took (only) 15 mns to upload (not bad for a 10 mb file :eek:)...
    Download the file, open Odin 3.04, put the file in PDA, flash, now you have KK's stock recovery, boooooo:laugh:

http://d-h.st/PGb

@bnb25
    nope, you can't flash the ROM from recovery.
    If some people are interested I can upload the deodexed version in the coming days when I have time, unless someone else does it before;)
    I am agree with you - jumping haead out into KK is senseless. I personally still do not upgraded and not going to, at least for now. I am quite happy with MegaFire and maybe try KK when @megalomanic14 made his version of 4.4.2.
    Your Knox-free version is good choise too, specially for ones which hastily upgraded and now are not satisfyied with KK. Nevertheless it have new bootloader and flashing something else need care lest not brick phone flashing stock 4.2.2. But it needs study and knowledge what ones doing... a rare thing...