XDA Maintenance and Forums Restored from Backups

Search This thread

svetius

Retired User Experience Admin
Dec 23, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
OnePlus 9 Pro
As many of you may have heard, we underwent routine maintenance on our Database Server last night (9/25). Upon rebooting the Database Server, it refused to boot and all indications are that the RAID 10 (what is RAID? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID) array failed.

We have restored the Forums from a 24 hour old backup. We know this is not ideal, but at this point, the chances of recovering the failed array are slim.

We sincerely apologize for this.

Technical Info:
This maintenance was intended to boost the redundancy of our database setup and "lightening struck".
The maintenance was to update the OS and make a configuration change to allow us to introduce a slave DB server which would replicate all data on the primary DB server. We are currently running off this intended "slave server" as a master.

Last edited:

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Could I please request that this information is posted across all the forums ? It certainly confused me as to where my recent posts etc had gone.

xlr8me

Apr 19, 2010
God damn!!!
I had some brilliant posts about statistics on overclocking HD2 and now those posts all gone :(

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Thanks svetius, I was about to post an annoucement on hero and desire, but you beat me... ;)

Sorry to hear about this. Time to action the RPs again, cap'ntrek :p

patensas

Jun 24, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
OPPO Find X2 Pro
Now this isn't the greatest way to start a day :rolleyes:

I did notice the downtime messages, which you guys kept refreshing with status updates, and noticed the forums return. It's a shame you guys had to use a 24 hrs old backup but hey things are up and running again.

I wouldn't know what to do without my favourite forum.

Besides the set back on posts i want to say GREAT JOB guys for getting things up again, and a very big THANK YOU for keeping us posted during the process.

wacky.banana

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2007
I now understand what's going on. Thought I had lost my mind for a minute.

Not sure how we raise awareness of this issue across the site as there are a lot of confused people out there. I am beginning to get pms on it.

WB

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009

Not sure how we raise awareness of this issue across the site as there are a lot of confused people out there. I am beginning to get pms on it.

WB

Hi mate, there's a global announcement above every forum, but perhaps mike or svetius could add a new notice in place of the announcement, as it might be easier to see (since there are no notices in normal circumstances)

kurt-willems

Jan 15, 2009
ANS

WB

Sorry My friend fore the PM I send you!? But I was lost. :D:D
I thought that fore some reason 25/September/2010 was band? It was like a dream to see lot of thing we thought to have solved/see/replay/posted and now there isn't anymore!? :eek:

But NP we will have patience/understanding fore this issue.