Flyer Update in the States

Search This thread

dstrauss

Feb 17, 2006
...Originally Posted by dstrauss
I must be linguistically challenged - hadn't noticed much of a difference...and don't see a need to revert to GB to do it the HTC way.

Anyone think otherwise?

[/COLOR]

Try it then and watch it fail.

? - not sure I understand your response. My point was I don't see a need to switch to the HTC OTA if already on your upgrade...are you saying otherwise?

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Can someone please make a rooted zip version of this for those of us on a different version of honeycomb?

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I haven't heard from any one that actually installed this and so far we don't even know which models its going out to. Please tell us which model Flyer you are receiving the OTA on.
The biggest difference should be not the language, but that some apps which don't show up or don't install in the app market because the previous OTAs were Western Europe should now show up and install for US users.

Reactions: IP IHI II IL

IP IHI II IL

Sep 16, 2010
I haven't heard from any one that actually installed this and so far we don't even know which models its going out to. Please tell us which model Flyer you are receiving the OTA on.
The biggest difference should be not the language, but that some apps which don't show up or don't install in the app market because the previous OTAs were Western Europe should now show up and install for US users.

Exactly! Other forums don't specify either. I think it's safe to assume the update is meant for the BBY WiFi Flyer, but it'd be great to know for sure.

\\Carved into this thread by my RAZR//
http://android-gz.com

Elfuente

Nov 7, 2011

I installed it, so what exactly do you want to know?

I have an US BB Wifi

Reactions: DigitalMD

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC

I have an US BB Wifi

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks

Now others will want to know.
Does the GPS stay locked or does it drop in and out of lock even when you are not moving? Try it for a few minutes to see please because this has been noted as an issue with the Western Europe OTA.

And you may want to save off the OTA download file so that Globaltron can get a copy to build rooted install version for his thread.

Last edited:

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
? - not sure I understand your response. My point was I don't see a need to switch to the HTC OTA if already on your upgrade...are you saying otherwise?

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your meaning, my apologies.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

So you just need a copy of the downloaded OTA file?

Sent from GrandAdmiral's phone using Tapatalk.

Actually, if possible what I would like is a copy of the OTA plus a dd dump of the system partition. That would allow me to make a flashable upgrade, RUU and a data in place migration from UK to US releases.

Actually I don't really need the full ota, just the firmware.zip from inside it + system dd dump.

I can give the exact command for the dd dump if needed.

neil85ae86

Mar 8, 2008
installed

I've installed the ota update, I have a couple minor beefs, but the pen support alone is worth it, loving it.

I will test gps on my way home from work.

Neil

Elfuente

Nov 7, 2011
Sorry, I completely misunderstood your meaning, my apologies.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Actually, if possible what I would like is a copy of the OTA plus a dd dump of the system partition. That would allow me to make a flashable upgrade, RUU and a data in place migration from UK to US releases.

I deleted the OTA already, sorry I didn´t consider it could be usefull for me to keep it so i deleted it.

Actually I don't really need the full ota, just the firmware.zip from inside it + system dd dump.

I can give the exact command for the dd dump if needed.

OK give me the instructions and i will give you the dd dump.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks

Now others will want to know.
Does the GPS stay locked or does it drop in and out of lock even when you are not moving? Try it for a few minutes to see please because this has been noted as an issue with the Western Europe OTA.

What does it mean "Does the GPS stay locked or does it drop in and out of lock" ?
Tell me exactly what I have to do and I will give you the information you want.
Ok I understand I have to turn on the GPS, ;-)
should I use the navi? (I have Sygic installed) and how do I notice if the GPS drops in and out or not.

Sorry I have really no Idea what you are talking about, but I would really like to give some info and feedback, since I get so much from this forum here.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Yes you can use a navi, or google Maps or a utility like GPS status. Just turn it on and watch for a few minutes to see if it shows the GPS as steady lock. Google nav and Maps will say location set by GPS in the status bar when locked and "searching for GPS' when its not locked. Most navis and Google map will blink the location icon on the map if its not locked and some put a circle around it when not locked.

When working properly once you have lock if you are not moving around it should never lose lock. With the HC OTA from Western Europe, the GPS loses lock every 30 seconds or so and takes a few seconds to reacquire.

Last edited:

Elfuente

Nov 7, 2011
works great

Yes you can use a navi, or google Maps or a utility like GPS status. Just turn it on and watch for a few minutes to see if it shows the GPS as steady lock. Google nav and Maps will say location set by GPS in the status bar when locked and "searching for GPS' when its not locked. Most navis and Google map will blink the location icon on the map if its not locked and some put a circle around it when not locked.

When working properly once you have lock if you are not moving around it should never lose lock. With the HC OTA from Western Europe, the GPS loses lock every 30 seconds or so and takes a few seconds to reacquire.

Ok I tried with gps status and google map. Either way it´s steady on.

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
I deleted the OTA already, sorry I didn´t consider it could be useful for me to keep it so i deleted it.

Thanks Elfuente,

If you could give me system and boot that would be great.

The commands will be:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 of=/sdcard/boot.img

(There is no personal or device specific information stored in either of these partitions)

The system file file will be ~ 1GB in size initially and will compress to about 500MB.

I'm pretty sure the radio version will be the same as the UK version, but it would be really good to get the radio version number just to confirm.

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure there's not much of an advantage compared to the 3g roms if you clear out the 3g apk's. Right?

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using xda premium

Elfuente

Nov 7, 2011
I deleted the OTA already, sorry I didn´t consider it could be useful for me to keep it so i deleted it.

Thanks Elfuente,

If you could give me system and boot that would be great.

The commands will be:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 of=/sdcard/boot.img

(There is no personal or device specific information stored in either of these partitions)

The system file file will be ~ 1GB in size initially and will compress to about 500MB.

I'm pretty sure the radio version will be the same as the UK version, but it would be really good to get the radio version number just to confirm.

$ dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/system.img

/dev/block/mmcblk0p25: cannot open for read: Permission denied

Amphibliam

Feb 28, 2011
Globatron, is there a chance you can make a flashable.zip for us rooted honeycombers to try out as well?

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC Flyer HC US Wifi OTA update

http://www.multiupload.com/3CNG94XHHV

MD5: 9ff51ed8748481295069d133eb779bb5
    R
    readable
    It is finally here.

I have an US BB Wifi
    R
    readable
    Ive been looking for some compelling reasons to apply this update. All ive seen are vague " its great" or " the pen functionality is worth it". Neither of which are very helpful. Neither are any of the "reviews" ive found online. I'm also not very keen t give up the cap buttons for on screen versions.

Im not tempted by honeycomb, im writing this on a transformer so ive used HC a lot and its pretty but i dont find it as usable or intuitive as the old GB sense on the flyer.

What matters to me is hw it works so what im asking is for any info from anyne who has applied the update. What's new about the pen with the HC update? how does it perform overall? Are there any compelling improvements that make it work accepting the HC dwngrades to the luncher and notifications?

For me: ( I have never rooted my Flyer.)
    1. Honeycomb - updated Gmail and calendar, plus the Honeycomb experiences.
    2. I have not noticed any performance issues except ADW didn't perform well. I am using the Go Launcher instead.
    Also, I tend to use my Flyer (Best Buy) for ebooks, gmail, calendar, web surfing, HTC Notes/Evernote, printing screen shots and reading PDF.
    3. The pen interface is working the same, except when I take a screen shot, I get 3 choices: Go to Notes, take the screenshot and pen settings.