[SOLVED]Skype Mobile > new Skype is out

Search This thread

d3sm0nd

Dec 28, 2007
Sofia
Hi guys... As you can see in this article:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/25/skype-mobile-for-verizon-on-android-hands-on-with-wifi-off/

Skype has been released... BUT FOR VERIZON CUSTOMERS ONLY! :(

But don't worry.. there is a way to get it, just download Market Enabler and set a custom value "310012" < for Verizon.

Then you will be able to download Skype Mobile but if you start it you are going to get the message "Sorry Skype couldn't detect your phone number" and will quit...

I'm sure there is a way to bypass this too... the question is how ? :D

EDIT:
The new Skype with wifi/data chat/calling is out today.. find it on the market! YAY

Last edited:

dpw2atox

Mar 25, 2010
I noticed one thing interesting, on my Droid I have the leaked sbf aka 2.1 build ese53 and it shows up under Market Enabler as "310004" and Skype as well as the various Fios apps are not available to me in the market. Whats funny though is I still have the Verizon tab on my Market and a few Verizon apps are listed such as vcast media manager and vzw tones.

Does anyone have a direct link to the apk for Skype?

d3sm0nd

Dec 28, 2007
Sofia
I can upload the apk when I'm back at home after few hours. :)

I wonder from where/which value is Skype trying to get the phone number...

hyperfire21

Dec 20, 2008
I got that msg on my inactive sprint hero too. It gave the same msg whether wifi was on or off.

snap20100325201405.png

mattyguk

Mar 5, 2007
Interesting!!

Us 'three' users on 2.1 maybe able to edit the dial out number and be able to have the app working properly. As the 'skype on 3 beta' only works on 1.5 hero roms.

bunu

Nov 25, 2009
I subbed to this thread because all android users need a decent skype app.

mentorkyrom

Jan 31, 2009
I have Verizon and this app is fail. You would want to use Fring anyways. You cant use the internet or anything using the skype app because it uses voice and you cant use wifi. Use fring and you can use all these things

kr4zyc1d

Aug 11, 2009
I have Verizon and this app is fail. You would want to use Fring anyways. You cant use the internet or anything using the skype app because it uses voice and you cant use wifi. Use fring and you can use all these things

Hey, I have the XV6900 and 3g (no wifi) with verizon. I should be able to use this no problem right? Fring has been an issue in the past, not installing properly or not functioning at all. Is that the most up to date skype out there for testing? I would like to be able to use it over the 3g as verizon specified.

mattyguk

Mar 5, 2007
^^^^^
Yes it works now as they released an updated version when they started selling the new samsung. If you check the other skype threads you'll see the whole story.

Also my post was before they released 0.10.0.4 so that was the case back then.

But because 'skype on 3' doesn't really work on any other network (apart from verizon's version) i left discussing that further out of this thread.

TheOriginalKi

Apr 21, 2010
Belfast, (Northern) Ireland
^^^^^
Yes it works now as they released an updated version when they started selling the new samsung. If you check the other skype threads you'll see the whole story.

Also my post was before they released 0.10.0.4 so that was the case back then.

But because 'skype on 3' doesn't really work on any other network (apart from verizon's version) i left discussing that further out of this thread.

Doh, I totally didn't take the dates of the post into consideration.

mattyguk

Mar 5, 2007
No worries, just re-read my post, I hope you didn't take offense it was meant to be very light hearted etc.... I think i could have written it a little better!

Thanks
Matt