HTC evo 4g lte storage question o.0

Search This thread

PhxkinMassacre

Dec 4, 2010
Lemont
Since the evo lte has 16gb internal and also supports SD cards, what gets stored where? I have been trying to figure this out all morning and it's driving me crazy haha. Can you store files on the internal like an sdcard? And if you had an sdcard how would you choose which storage to put stuff on?

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Last edited:

grayn0de

Mar 10, 2009
Austin, Tx
www.grayn0de.com
Since the evo lte has 16gb internal and also supports SD cards, what gets stored where? I have been trying to figure this out all morning and it's driving me crazy haha. Can you store files on the internal like an sdcard? And if you had an sdcard how would you choose which storage to put stuff on?

As the phone has yet to be released, no one can say for sure. It will likely be along the same lines as other HTC devices, though. In a pure stock setup, internal storage is used for system files (partitions & filesystem) and downloaded/installed apps, while external is used for pictures/videos and music, as well as whatever other files you'd put on an SD card.

I really dig the idea of having 16GB internal storage. It would, for all but extreme cases, eliminate the need for a2sd/dalvik2sd and would increase the life of our sd cards (no swap, thrashing, etc.).

PhxkinMassacre

Dec 4, 2010
Lemont
I know its hard to know since its not out yet but that's what I was thinking also. I just couldn't justify the need for 16gb (minus how ever much is reserved for the system/rom) for apps since I have a 512mb sd-ext that I can't even fill haha. Guess we'll see.

grayn0de

Mar 10, 2009
Austin, Tx
www.grayn0de.com
I'm sure we'll be able to bend the phone to our will and figure out some way to utilize the internal storage for whatever we want. It may well be that an SD card is not needed for file storage, as well.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Both internal and external SD work like an SD. The internal will have probably 2gb for apps and 14gb for whatever, pics, vids, music, downloads etc. And you can use a file explorer to move stuff between internal and external SD. Pretty sure its not device specific but the way Android itself is designed to use the storage.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
Both internal and external SD work like an SD. The internal will have probably 2gb for apps and 14gb for whatever, pics, vids, music, downloads etc. And you can use a file explorer to move stuff between internal and external SD. Pretty sure its not device specific but the way Android itself is designed to use the storage.

I will assume this is correct as well as my HTC Rezound has this setup. The Rezound has 2 16GB SD cards (one internal, one removable external) The internal has about 2.5gb for apps and the rest is internal phone storage while the external 16gb is available for anything else.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
I will assume this is correct as well as my HTC Rezound has this setup. The Rezound has 2 16GB SD cards (one internal, one removable external) The internal has about 2.5gb for apps and the rest is internal phone storage while the external 16gb is available for anything else.

That's how every android device I've used with internal storage is set up, they partition off a section for apps and the rest is storage just like an SD card you can even nandroid and flash from the internal and is labeled as SDcard in the file directory while the removable is labeled as external_SD, and it is the same across all manufacturers.

Jess813

Jun 22, 2010
Cannot wait till mid May for the release of this BEAST, hands down the BEST Evo released! I was thinking about getting the Nexus instead but than it wouldnt be too much of a difference since I am coming off the Epic touch 4G. Besides I miss the built quality of HTC, yes Samsung has beautiful screens and gorgeous cameras, but I think this Evo clears those issues for me.

I have the HTC Jetstream tablet, which as the same set up.

Internal is used for downloads and apps.
External is used for whatever you put on it manually.

Once you open the camera app, it asks you if you want to save images on the internal or external memory. Select external because in the case of a wipe or crash, you still got your files on the external.

My external sd card contains only music, video, document, and image files.
The internal card is pretty clean and unused.

As for a phone, it'd be the same set up for me.

NCRoadster

Mar 14, 2012
I wish the external SD card would be seen as \sdcard by the OS.

Not too many apps let you choose the directory of the files, so only pics and videos end up on my external card.

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
Once you open the camera app, it asks you if you want to save images on the internal or external memory. Select external because in the case of a wipe or crash, you still got your files on the external.

that makes me wonder if the external sdcard will keep up with the 1080p videos and the rapid 4 pics/sec camera...should be interesting

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
That is a very valid point. And also not an issue that was a question with the Jetstream since it does not have the same imagechip technology that the LTEVO boasts.

Hmmm...

It all depends on the class of your SD card. A higher class card will have no problems. Like mine, I have a 16gig class 10 card that writes HD videos in 720p beautifully, so I imagine 1080p will be similar for me. That's actually one of the reasons I got a class so high. I noticed that my videos on my OG Incredible were choppy and not very clear on the class 2 card it came with, so I upgraded. :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
It all depends on the class of your SD card. A higher class card will have no problems. Like mine, I have a 16gig class 10 card that writes HD videos in 720p beautifully, so I imagine 1080p will be similar for me. That's actually one of the reasons I got a class so high. I noticed that my videos on my OG Incredible were choppy and not very clear on the class 2 card it came with, so I upgraded. :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey, you're coming over from Verizon I see? That's cool - what brought you to Sprint? Just the phone?

It seems to me that (from a distance) Verizon is getting the short end of the stick on phones these days. I always used to think that they always got the best ones, and now recently I've seen their selection trending downward. Am I just imagining things or did you feel that way too?

Even their version of the "One" series they are getting stinks (small screen, less impressive overall specs). And I heard in an article that it will be $299. Are you kidding me? :eek:

jalope

Oct 11, 2009
Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE SD card confusion

Bought phone yesterday.

Moved 32GB SD card from EVO 3D (Gingerbread) to EVO LTE (ICS).

From ICS view, have "internal storage" and "phone storage". Don't see a way to move apps to SD card (which is not "phone storage"). SD card can be mounted/unmounted, so it's visible in some sense. Some apps, such as Amazon MP3 can access music on 32 GB SD card. Other apps don't seem to know it's there.

When USB cable is plugged from Windows computer to phone, Windows Explorer cannot see "phone storage", it only sees 32 GB SD card when phone connection is designated "disk drive mode".

There is HTC connect. I installed a couple of versions, but connection establishment fails when I try to connect via USB HTC connect.

Hence I cannot get to some phone data from my computer.

I would like to be able to tell phone to put app data on 32 GB SD card, but don't see a way yet.

Anyone have any answers?

Top Liked Posts