[Q] Streaming Video through GPRS on Smartphones vs Computers

Search This thread

nirajvashi

Nov 18, 2013
I request the experts on this forum to advise me on my following observation about GPRS / EDGE performance on Smartphones:

I have observed that the Smartphones (particularly Android) do not perform as well as the computers when performance is compared on GPRS / EDGE.

I have tested streaming videos on while on GPRS / EDGE (not 3G or 4G) and observed that the smartphone gives up saying connection problem. When I stream the same videos with the same GPRS / EDGE connection through a USB Dongle (with same SIM Card inserted which was used for testing on Smartphone), the Computer performs better and is able to stream the Videos.

I request the experts to explain why this happens. The SIM and its location are the same and the speed received from it is also the same. Then why does the computer able to play it while the smartphone gives up saying connection problem.

I would like to clarify here that the GPRS / EDGE works alright on surfing websites etc. while the problem is only in streaming. I have tested this on various phones of Samsung / HTC / Motorola so the question of a particular phone having some problem does not arise.

Thank you