[Q] EFS Backup & Restore

Search This thread

23rdstreet

Feb 26, 2011
Wondering if anyone had a method for backing up the EFS partition on an HTC One M8. I'd recently lost the IMEI on my AT&T Galaxy S III sometime while flashing 4.4.2 nightlies without first backing up the EFS. For the past month, I've tried all the methods that I could find to try to restore it, to no avail. :eek:

So, I give up & order the HTC One M8. But before I go flashing anything, I really want to back up the EFS.

suprtrukr425

Feb 26, 2010
Virginia
Wondering if anyone had a method for backing up the EFS partition on an HTC One M8. I'd recently lost the IMEI on my AT&T Galaxy S III sometime while flashing 4.4.2 nightlies without first backing up the EFS. For the past month, I've tried all the methods that I could find to try to restore it, to no avail. :eek:

So, I give up & order the HTC One M8. But before I go flashing anything, I really want to back up the EFS.

I'm not sure if there is any method or need to backup an efs on an HTC device. Someone might be able to correct me, but I believe that is a Samsung specific problem.

Reactions: 23rdstreet

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
To my knowledge, only Samsung and LG devices have an EFS partition. I have had HTC devices for quite some time and have never heard the term EFS before I bought a Galaxy S4.

The EFS partition holds all of the IMEI data, wireless hardware info etc...On HTC devices, we need S-OFF before we can modify radio data I believe. So HTC must have something similar, but I'm not sure it is specifically an "EFS partition".

But given how vital the EFS partition is to those devices that utilize it, I'd make sure it isn't there before I went tinkering around. :)

Last edited:

K.AuthoR

Nov 30, 2008
/bump

I am curious about this as well, I always liked to back up my EFS partition when I owned Samsung devices just in case I nuked something. Is anyone familiar enough with HTC's filestructure to know where the IMEI info is stored?

drawde40599

Aug 11, 2010

Hi , Did u ever find out if this is possible or necessary ? If so can u share what u have found out ?

Dec 8, 2010
It's not necessary with a HTC device. Once you have s-off and unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

johnhazelwood

Oct 7, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5
It's not necessary with a HTC device. Once you have s-off and unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Are you sure? I also came from a Captivate (which did have an EFS folder), and a Galaxy S3 (where the IMEI was located in a memory block and not an actual folder). I'm not sure what caused some devices to loose the IMEI, it did happen when people flashed ROM's. My guess is this could potentially still be a problem with the HTC phones, but hasn't come up yet. I never lost my IMEI on the S3 (I did on the Captivate), but I was worried about it being erased every time I flashed.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Are you sure? I also came from a Captivate (which did have an EFS folder), and a Galaxy S3 (where the IMEI was located in a memory block and not an actual folder). I'm not sure what caused some devices to loose the IMEI, it did happen when people flashed ROM's. My guess is this could potentially still be a problem with the HTC phones, but hasn't come up yet. I never lost my IMEI on the S3 (I did on the Captivate), but I was worried about it being erased every time I flashed.

After flashing many ROMs and other mods on 4 different HTC Android devices; I don't believe I've ever heard of the IMEI being lost from flashing a ROM on an HTC device, and I've never previously heard of anyone backing up EFS on an HTC device. I don't think HTC devices even have an EFS partition, it seems to be exclusively a Samsung thing. Some Google searches on EFS for HTC devices backs up this notion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To my knowledge, only Samsung and LG devices have an EFS partition. I have had HTC devices for quite some time and have never heard the term EFS before I bought a Galaxy S4.

The EFS partition holds all of the IMEI data, wireless hardware info etc...On HTC devices, we need S-OFF before we can modify radio data I believe. So HTC must have something similar, but I'm not sure it is specifically an "EFS partition".

But given how vital the EFS partition is to those devices that utilize it, I'd make sure it isn't there before I went tinkering around. :)

I'm not sure if there is any method or need to backup an efs on an HTC device. Someone might be able to correct me, but I believe that is a Samsung specific problem.