Confirmation Ice Cream Sandwich for A500

Search This thread

BBAHunter

Jun 25, 2009
No one is this naive, are they? Really? You believe phone support call center employees are privy to unannounced company strategy decisions? Really?

Think of it this way: Is it better to ask employees directly, instead of depending on a press release?

You have to ask yourself one question: Have you ever been employed and knew what was in development where you worked ahead of what got press released first?

Last edited:

duloz

Apr 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
This of it this way: Is it better to ask employees directly, instead of depending on a press release?

You have to ask yourself one question: Have you ever been employed and knew what was in development where you worked ahead of what got press released first?

Problem is, things happening within your workplace are generally covered by a non-disclosure act. If they are projects or occurrences that may impact stock prices, they are generally not communicated to employees until after an official statement has been made by the public.

Bottom line is this: if an employee of Acer tells you something that the company has not officially announced, he is likely either telling you what you want to hear (common customer service move), full of crap and not interested in keeping his job, or telling the truth and not interested in keeping his job.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Destron5683

Jun 15, 2010
Problem is, things happening within your workplace are generally covered by a non-disclosure act. If they are projects or occurrences that may impact stock prices, they are generally not communicated to employees until after an official statement has been made by the public.

Bottom line is this: if an employee of Acer tells you something that the company has not officially announced, he is likely either telling you what you want to hear (common customer service move), full of crap and not interested in keeping his job, or telling the truth and not interested in keeping his job.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Not to mention the fact that most of the time these customer service guys are outsourced labor and don't even work for Acer or know the inner workings of the company. Right after he closed the chat box with you talking about your a500 he probably switches gears to helping some guy with his HP laptop or why some guys Comcast internet is not working.

KiloJKilo

Sep 6, 2010
Wiscosnin
...Right after he closed the chat box with you talking about your a500 he probably switches gears to helping some guy with his HP laptop or why some guys Comcast internet is not working.

That's unlikely. Most 3rd party support vendors do not allow for cross calls for many reasons. I've worked in call centers that housed apple, intel, western wireless, at&t, agfa, sgi, etc..if I've learned one thing, it is front lines support/customer/technical are not given specific information. Period. Their internal support databases contain canned responses to that sort of thing with general information.

peejayw

Jan 19, 2010
Acer NZ facebook page says April

Acer ANZ
Great news, everyone! We’ve just got confirmation from HQ that the Iconia Tab A500 will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich in April. No exact date yet, but we’ll let you know when we have it. What are you looking forward to most in ICS?

dragonrazorz

Jan 1, 2011
NZ?...wont US have different time table for update? If not......that frgn sux
Acer NZ facebook page says April

Acer ANZ
Great news, everyone! We’ve just got confirmation from HQ that the Iconia Tab A500 will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich in April. No exact date yet, but we’ll let you know when we have it. What are you looking forward to most in ICS?

peejayw

Jan 19, 2010
On the basis of past updates, NZ and Australia seem to be some of the first countries to get them, ahead of the US thats for sure, not sure why.

castafiore

Sep 13, 2010
Here another confirmation of the dates for the OTA update with ICS for the a500 :

http://www.cnetfrance.fr/news/acer-iconia-tab-a510-dispo-avril-a-399-euros-en-32-go-39768325.htm

It has been confirmed by Bertrand Mellah, a french representative of Acer in France, at the recent CES at Las Vegas. This interview is in french.

Mellah said :

"There is a strong wish to make the update to ICS, for the a500 as well as for the a100; We can estimate that from end of February - beginning of March, we should start to see the first updates "by waves" and thus, some clients will have to wait a bit longer, but what is certain is that these products will be updated to ICS".

ibawanzingee

Dec 8, 2010
This sounds cool! Exciting. Unfortunately, I don't like ICS as much as Honeycomb (regarding colors and icons), so I wouldn't object to having ICS with a facelift, made to look exactly like HC but with all ICS components and updates. :D

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Well when and if they do push ice cream sandwich. I will wait until its rooted. That will likely take a whole day at most.. Then we can Theme it just as done with Honeycomb.So you can theme it the same .

i have a burgundy color case on mine with matching icons colors and so on.. none of the stock blue stuff.. Very cute and nice . its some of the striker stuff with a few of my own touches to the UI ...

Acer please be nice to those that give you there hard earned money.. NAMELY ME ...

garringm

Aug 29, 2008
Leesburg
I personally like the blue, Was kinda fond of the reds that were added to Moto Blur a long time ago, and somewhat liked Tmo's pulse Rom with the Magenta. But I NEVER EVER liked the stock orange or GB green I thought those were the biggest downfall of any Anroid Rom.

castafiore

Sep 13, 2010
I do like the blue, as well. Especially the kind of blue they've chosen for ICS.
I like ice creams too...
I like sandwiches...

I like the icons of ICS also.Very elegant, in my opinion.

So, I'm waiting for this update. :)

stone_phalanges

Aug 11, 2010
I know how some people prefer official updates as opposed to roms (and there is apparently some other GPL license issue that I don't understand at all) but thor really has a great ICS rom for the A500 based on cyanogenmod and its honestly the most stable rom I have ever used including the Galaxy s2 international stock rom. You couldn't pay me to put an acer rom on that thing now.

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
It is good news that the French guy also confirmed that A500 will be getting ICS in about a month, it indeed is great :)

A month is a month, and for some it may feel like a long time. But I'm getting myself a Samsung Galaxy Note next week so I'll have something to toy around with until that :p

Top Liked Posts