ttrss-reader, Android client for Tiny Tiny RSS (php)

Search This thread

lordnils

Aug 3, 2010
Hi folks,

i am proud to announce the Release of v0.5.11 of ttrss-reader, the android-client for Tiny Tiny RSS:
TTRSS-Reader for Android

Tiny Tiny RSS
TT-RSS is a php/javascript-based reader with a google-reader-like interface, running on your own server with mysql/postgresql and php. It supports multiple user-accounts, feed-categories, labels, sharing of articles and automatic updates every x minutes.

ttrss-reader for Android
Ttrss-reader for Android was started at code.google.com by J.Devauchelle but as i couldn't reach him for several weeks i forked the project: (see note above for URL)

I implemented some usability features and then started implementing local caching since before EVERY single piece of data was requested from the server, slowing down the browsing a lot.
Now i think the program is in a quite usable state, although the local-caching doesn't work so well. The server-side provides API-methods to retrieve data as JSON-Objects but they are focused on transferring a low amount of data in every request (eg. only one article with content is sent at a time, not all new articles which would be much easier).

So if anyone want to keep his feeds away from google and do stuff on his own, in my opinion this is the way to do it. And please excuse my english. ^^
I would appreciate any ideas what could be improved or bugreports and i'd feel honoured if some of you would like to try this app or even join developement.

Some Screenshots:

Greetings,
nils

Last edited:

abitbol167

May 22, 2010
Hi,

Just to say that I like this app but my ttrss instance seems too big for this app. Android ask me to kill the app everytimes it makes a refresh of the data.

for information : my ttrss run on a PC and is hosted at home. It has +12000 articles

Keep up

Last edited:

lordnils

Aug 3, 2010
@celticchrys: That means you have to login to the webinterface and enable the API in your user-preferences. Dont know why but the API-access is a per-user-setting in Tiny Tiny RSS so every user has to enable it for himself.

Greetings,
nils

celticchrys

Nov 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
ZTE Axon 7
@lordnils: Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)

***EDIT***
It force closed on me a couple of times, did fetch my articles once, and now says it cannot. I also got a very long error, many screens long, that begins with :
Oupd...
I was unable to conenct to your Tiny Tiny TSS instance, please check your connection and/or connection settings.

Error details:
A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at character 1 of <html>

The above is then followed by basically the entire code for my login page.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited:

lordnils

Aug 3, 2010
Hm, something seems to be wrong with the URL for API-Access. You should make sure you entered the URL in the settings exactly like the URL you use to access the webinterface of Tiny Tiny RSS.

If the problem still exists it would be helpful if you provided me with the output of ADB (or aLogcat from the market if you dont want to mess with the USB-connection and the Android-SDK). It would be the easiest way to resolve the problem if you opened an issue on <url for the google-code page of our project where you can start an issue> so other people involved could try to fix the problem, too.

Greetings,
nils

ps: sry for not posting urls, i dont think it is a good practice to encourage people to spam somewhere so they can post links. so i just dont do it and wait for the protection to dissappear. :/

lordnils

Aug 3, 2010
I just released the TTRSS-Reader on the market:

Download: http://www.appbrain.com/app/org.ttrssreader?install
QR-Code:
qrcode.png

Greetings,
nils

brookssw

Jan 31, 2008
Hey lordnils,

I'm having the same problem as celticchrys. I am using the exact url that I login to via a browser, API is enabled, but still get the documented error within the program.

Any ideas what I might look at?

lordnils

Aug 3, 2010
First of all, which versions are you using (Tiny Tiny RSS and TTRSS-Reader)?

Then: Can you acquire the output of logcat (aLogcat from the market or "adb logcat" if you got the SDK installed)?

If you are using old versions (older then Tiny Tiny RSS v.1.4.3.1 and TTRSS-Reader v0.7.3) please update first and try again. There are some issues with older Versions of the API which could cause this problem.

Greetings,
nils

nichos

Sep 30, 2010
Thank you! This is great! I didn't want to move all my feeds to google so this is perfect!