[CM9 beta] Battery Optimization Discussion

Search This thread

amateurhack

Sep 25, 2011
Ohms Law? Anyone?

Of course the current differential would be fairly small with a change of a few millivolts. Current would change proportionately with the change in voltage. Of course running semiconductors makes it a little different as the impedance may change with different voltages.

The true test would be to bench test it. Of course, those tests should have been done by the manufacturer, and are probably available if you wanted to go find it.

And it would be different with different makes of processors, of course.

Even then, there would be some variation between processors of the same make. The manufacturers specs would give the average performance expected.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
earthbound?? whos that? ;) miss that guy, his kernels were great

He still has his kernels just not here is all. Over at his site he does and his small forum for MIUI and MIUI v4, CM7 & CM9

Ohms Law? Anyone?

Of course the current differential would be fairly small with a change of a few millivolts. Current would change proportionately with the change in voltage. Of course running semiconductors makes it a little different as the impedance may change with different voltages.

The true test would be to bench test it. Of course, those tests should have been done by the manufacturer, and are probably available if you wanted to go find it.

And it would be different with different makes of processors, of course.

Even then, there would be some variation between processors of the same make. The manufacturers specs would give the average performance expected.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Yes i would just love to know why i lose alot of battery quickly when i use some things but yet when i do extreme heavy usage i get the battery to last longer while in use of whatever app. For instance before when i was posting with Zeinzu earlier one post i was @ 88% battery life no UV took 1 min and 30s to read and post and i went down to 86% and i have a good 3500 mAh and running CM7 a battery saver.

"You" don't get what your trying to get at. Each frequency needs a certain amount of voltage to operate. It lags because undervolting that much doesn't provide the processor enough voltage to handle running the frequency. If you were to only undervolt 50mv it would still be able to run the frequency, but would not decrease it's performance as it's still "running" at the frequency. That and the fact that a very well known, very intelligent, very seasoned kernel dev from our own community has discovered "facts" to support that undervolting does not actually increase battery life is what is trying to be explained to you by yet another developer. There's being a know-it-all who actually does know some **** but maybe isn't always right, then there's being a know-it-all when you honestly don't know **** about what you say. You spout out opinions, these devs have facts. Stop.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I love you assume i dont know what i can or dont know how to do or even know! I DONT KNOW EVERYTHING, but i know many things i work with linux everyday quite frankly and know a thing or two i know how to dev and compile i choose not too because i like other's projects and im too lazy and dont have all the time to do it is all. Let me ask you something do you know what shell scripting is, GRUB, LILO, WinX, VI editor, signing apks, Frameworking, GNU, etc.... when it comes to some basic things yeah im not soo good on it like for instance themes on porting them always had problems.

But if we can end this now i'd appreciate as well as everyone else look your a nice guy but sometimes you push to much is all, i dont hate you and i appreciate your help since good ol SDX days. But lets just move from here

csmartly

Jun 3, 2008
After trying to whatever everyone has mentioned here, I am little disappointed. the battery drains fast and using Juice defender make about 10% of difference. So while travelling using CM9 is nit difficult. Hence I installed Mortify ROM.

I really really miss CM9. but battery life is the only concern...

JettMartinez

Oct 20, 2010
Maryland
After trying to whatever everyone has mentioned here, I am little disappointed. the battery drains fast and using Juice defender make about 10% of difference. So while travelling using CM9 is nit difficult. Hence I installed Mortify ROM.

Here's a tip guaranteed to double your battery life....get a spare battery!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas

JD=Battery drainer and money waster... turn off data your self.

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011

It takes time to get JD configured just right for how you use your device. Since it is designed to turn off the stuff that consumes battery the most (the radios) for you, configuring it to do that for the most time when not needed and increase the frequency the radios are on when it is then you can save quite a bit. I managed to get slightly over double out of a full charge; 40-48 hours with and 20-24 hours without. Up until now I've not been using JD on CM9 in order to test for what is normal battery life on it for me before using JD. I've established normal for me at 16-19 hours. I expect that to double as before on other ROMs using JD. I'm going to be playing with the settings over the next week or so as I want to see how various setups behave on CM9 and compare to how I had JD configured on all previous ROMs.

The benefit of JD is that it turns it on and off for you, plus other stuff as well. If others are like me I forget to turn it off a lot so turning off data myself didn't save me much. The only way JD would drain battery faster is if one configured something such that JD managed to sync accounts more frequently than they are synced by default when not using JD. And didn't use it to turn off data or any other radios. For less than the cost of a spare battery I essentially get the equivalent of using one as a result of JD ultimate. And I haven't even gone as far as having it toggle GPS radio for me as I keep that one always on.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC

I Do both give no settings to any app and manually turn on data so no apps in background are getting data pushed ie better battery life. Tested Without got slightly worse battery. My settings are just extreme and that's it and I got some screenies that my phone dint go into deep sleep will post. Later my battery I just about to die as I type this lol

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
I am using ShadowKernel, but the issue I am having happens regardless of which kernel I am on, or version of Android really. My battery life is weird. Its AMAZING when I first start up the phone and dont touch it for a while. I can go 4 hours only losing 1-2 percent. Then I will pick up the phone, read some emails, maybe browse a website and play a game. Then after I stop using the phone and put it down for another 4 hours, you would expect it to only lose another 1-2 percent, but it continues at the discharge rate of when I was actually using it. So over those second set of 4 hours I will discharge 20-25 percent. It makes no sense.

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
I am using ShadowKernel, but the issue I am having happens regardless of which kernel I am on, or version of Android really. My battery life is weird. Its AMAZING when I first start up the phone and dont touch it for a while. I can go 4 hours only losing 1-2 percent. Then I will pick up the phone, read some emails, maybe browse a website and play a game. Then after I stop using the phone and put it down for another 4 hours, you would expect it to only lose another 1-2 percent, but it continues at the discharge rate of when I was actually using it. So over those second set of 4 hours I will discharge 20-25 percent. It makes no sense.

It sounds to me like possibly one of the apps you use when this happens ends up misbehaving in some way. Perhaps the device is being kept awake? You can use the various tools posted about in the threads: cpu spy, better battery stats, possibly even system panel lite, and the regular android battery info. Between these hopefully you will be able to identify what is going on.

For example yesturday I was experimenting with something and ended up having yahoo mail keep my device awake more than it should. Was something like 3 hours of wake time for just yahoo mail vs the usual of only minutes for it. That managed to reduce the time I got out of a full charge by around 6 hours.

Last edited:

jtw78

I've enabled using the back button to kill apps and that's helped me to improve battery life.

Setting>Developer Options>Kill App Back Button

If an app isn't closing normally with the back button, you can long-press back and CM9 will kill it. If you think something is running in the background, you can repeatedly long-press back and your phone will cycle through all the open apps as you kill them off. It's pretty handy.

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
Force Closing applications regularly will in fact eventually start to corrupt their data. Applications needs to be shut down properly, like with any other system.

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
Yahoo mail has misbehaved two days in a row now. I'm not sure what is trigger it to misbehave though. Both times my epic was up for 8 or more hours before that happened. Basically whatever yahoo mail is doing at that point keeps the device awake for 3 hours by the time it drains the battery to a point where I have to charge due to critically low battery. Is there any steps I can take to identify what is causing it to do that?

csmartly

Jun 3, 2008
keeping data off is no point. While on the move, need data for emails and texts (use Whatsapp for texting with others). besides, it also kills the whole purpose of a smart phone.

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
keeping data off is no point. While on the move, need data for emails and texts (use Whatsapp for texting with others). besides, it also kills the whole purpose of a smart phone.

It depends on how crucial it is for one to get email on their smartphone. People like me don't use it for instant communication. However SMS does not need data. MMS on the other hand does. Using a 3rd party SMS app that bypasses the carrier probably does use data and would be a consideration for turning off data. I sort of figured now a days everyone would have unlimited text messaging so that wouldn't be needed. At least not on sprint. But having something toggle data on a schedule for you, can give the best of both worlds.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It depends on how crucial it is for one to get email on their smartphone. People like me don't use it for instant communication. However SMS does not need data. MMS on the other hand does. Using a 3rd party SMS app that bypasses the carrier probably does use data and would be a consideration for turning off data. I sort of figured now a days everyone would have unlimited text messaging so that wouldn't be needed. At least not on sprint. But having something toggle data on a schedule for you, can give the best of both worlds.

Anything that pushes something over the air haha needs data.

SMS does require data as well as MMS. turn your mobile data off and WiFi off and watch nothing will get sent. Some apps dont require Carrier data but atleast WiFi needs it enabled to push it. & If you want something that toggles a data schedule for you for certain apps is Juice Defender

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
SMS does not require data, if that was the case non smart phones would not be able to send text messages. You can shut all data off and still receive text messages. Airplane mode shuts data and cell service it completely disconnects you. Thus its called AIRPLANE mode because cell phone is not permitted when in the air.

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Battery Optimization Discussion Thread
    CM9 beta: Android 4.0.3 for Samsung Epic 4G

This thread is ONLY to discuss issues related to power management and battery life on CM9 on the Epic 4G. Battery tips are regularly summarized in the official Battery Optimization Guide. Please read the guide before posting to this thread.

CM9 Discussion Threads
    If you notice especially high battery drain and recently used your GPS or Camera they can occasionally stay on with no visible signs. Also please remember the battery stats is HIGHLY inaccurate. A Phone reboot usually fixes this.

Never keep apps like Skype, IRC, etc that stay running and keep your CPU on they drain battery especially fast!

One big battery saver is to not wake your phone to just check the time. Let the CPU stay in deep-sleep as long as possible to preserve power until you actually need your phone for something.

One MAJOR thing to save power is DO NOT MESS WITH CPU SETTINGS!
    Do not use 3rd party apps like Voltage Control or SetCPU or even the built in Performance settings as modifying the settings will increase the minimum clock to 200MHz which will greatly reduce battery life than NOT messing with them. This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future release!
    Anything that pushes something over the air haha needs data.

SMS does require data as well as MMS. turn your mobile data off and WiFi off and watch nothing will get sent. Some apps dont require Carrier data but atleast WiFi needs it enabled to push it. & If you want something that toggles a data schedule for you for certain apps is Juice Defender

Airplane mode is on no sms gets gets puhed at all with data on it does, with data off but the fm radio is still on yes but isn't that considered data being off

Exactly so if they can't answer this if data is off how can anything be pushed or received? You can't push emails through without internet hence data

OK So again if sms doesn't use radio then when you turn off the radio hence airplane mode it doesn't send, so no you need to further explain because you cant push anything without data.

Because when data is off the radio is still on, once the radio goes off you cant send sms

Ex. If i want to go to a different page on the internt but my interent goes off(basically no data sent or received) i cant go anywhere and it wont find the web page.

No this is complete bullsh*t you guys aren't understanding me at all I'm not arguing I'm confused, stop accusing me of trying to argue. If you'd listen you'd understand. Data off means radio still is on which means you can't get on the internet but you can send a sms but how??? When I say airplane mode that turns off the radio completely, so now you can't even make a sms. So if data is off how am I sending a sms what does it do to get through? For example you can't connect to the internet if your modem is off.

So please explain how the hell its sending a message when data is off. I'm trying to understand this, not argue

Thank you for the explantion was it so hard for them to do that. Now that's cleared up let's move on we got off topic and I know there's off topic patrol that will get mad lol. But thanks that was all that was needed to be said.

This is you not arguing and just trying to understand.

I want you to read back through your posts and be honest with yourself.

Your right however, this is somewhat off topic. Who brought it off topic? Ask yourself that after re-reading your own posts.

Stop using others giving you the benefit of the doubt saying you "might be confused" as a crutch to why you were arguing a point you were completely wrong on while telling others with much more experience and knowledge that they are wrong.

Stop using "off topic discussion" as a crutch to why if your wrong about something you were arguing that it must immediately be dropped so you can simply say you were just confused and not just incorrect.

Stop claiming it's others who should have made this easy and just explained to you "how". You didn't really ask how till the end, you just kept saying we were wrong.

You really, really need to learn how to articulate thoughts. I'm not saying have proper grammar shook the time, but have you ever actually read your own posts back to yourself? A lot of **** you say is damn near impossible to discipher.

Admit your wrong when your wrong, hell I know I've been wrong about **** on these and other forums plenty. Learn more, become more knowledgable, be open to others who have more experience and knowledge about these things than you do. Yes dude, trust that developers and people who work with this kind of **** on a level higher than "I can flash this mod to my phone" might actually have more knowledge than you when it comes to Android software and hardware.

You've been around long enough, bro. There's really no more excuses.

I won't post again if you reply cause as I said you are right, this is off topic, and I've succeeded in taking it farther off topic. You just need to hear some of these things, and so I'm telling you since I've experienced these things with you for going on 3-4 years now since you got your Samsung Moment.

I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

Because battery calibration is a myth and not needed. The percentage is directly proportional to the voltage on the battery. 100% = 4.200 Volts and 0% = 3.700 volts. That is how your phone determines percentage. An Android Google Engineer wrote an article on this.

I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

The batterystats file is nothing more than the info displayed for battery info under settings/battery usage. It has no affect on your battery displaying properly and does not changed anything. The file is wiped every time your charge reaches 100%. You cannot calibrate a lithium ion battery. You can only work in the cells when the battery is brand new and the cells haven't been used yet (cycling the battery a few time to ensure it's receiving it's maximum voltage capacity when charged).

Edit: I see kenny already explained.