[HOWTO] If you flashed the original RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.* and got the new hboot

Search This thread

chrisjasper

Jan 15, 2007
London
I have a nandroid backup of my phone from before I first installed Modaco 2.2, after which I stupidly installed the official t-mobile upgrade, so how exactly would you engineer an RUU out of that??

Last edited:

lloydsparkes

Jan 14, 2007
York
I have a nandroid backup of my phone from before I first installed Modaco 2.2, after which I stupidly installed the official t-mobile upgrade, so how exactly would you engineer an RUU out of that??

My theory is:

Take 2.73 RUU run it, but dont go through the wizard just leave it running

Go to %TEMP% and search for rom.zip

Copy the folder containing it.

Now do the same to a Stock 1.76 RUU and keep a copy of that (idea here is to find out any differences between 2.73 and 1.76 in the updating process that may cause us problems

Then we take the 2.73 version of rom.zip extract it, and replace the files in it with the ones from the nandroid backup.

Now i have tried this, with a 2.73 (which has a kernel exploit in it) to try and flash it on my phone, but so far this has failed due to after flashing the device, it does another signiture check which fails, so it undoes the updates.

Anyway its still a work in progress, but its slow progress, as each time i try and fail i have to reset up the phone (its my only phone, and i actually need to use it)

The problem is bypassing or faking the signiture checks, which is the issue

Jesterz

Retired Moderator
Apr 27, 2006
is the rom.zip file locked during the ruu process ? I would just replace the rom.zip file with the older rom.zip from the 1.73 RUU.

I don't have the time currently, but i'll have a look at the ruu.exe to see where the cid check is done and try and bypass it as we did in the "old days" with the htc prophet....

i havent played around enough, but does the android.txt file in the rom.zip (that contains the cid's) do anything ? ie. change the contents of that file to include cids from other providers to figure out if it is used as a check ?

lloydsparkes

Jan 14, 2007
York
The RUU process might lock it (for writing) but if you take a copy of the folder then modify the rom.zip then just run ARwizard.exe

Yea i believe android-info.txt contains CID codes, so modifying it *SHOULD* allow us to add more handsets/operators.

When i get a chance i will be playing around with it.

Also does anyone know how to mount / modify the boot.img image? (Linux or Windows)

Jesterz

Retired Moderator
Apr 27, 2006
android-info.txt from official t-mobile 2.73 ruu update:

ModelID: HERO10000
CIDNUM: T-MOB102
CIDNUM: T-MOB005
CIDNUM: T-MOB004
CIDNUM: T-MOB003
CIDNUM: 11111111
MainVer: 2.73.110.26

android-info.txt from official htc 1.73 ruu update:

ModelID: HERO10000
CIDNUM: HTC__001
CIDNUM: HTC__032
CIDNUM: HTC__203
CIDNUM: HTC__102
CIDNUM: HTC__405
CIDNUM: HTC__E11
CIDNUM: 11111111
MainVer: 1.76.405.1_R3

figure out:

1. if andoid-info.txt is used to check cid against phone, if so, change android-info.txt inside the 1.73 htc ruu to bypass cid check and flash tmob phone with official htc rom

2. if 1 isn't the cid check, look at aruwizard.exe and figure out where/how it's checking the cid.

i'll open a seperate thread on this, as this is not only important for tmob people, but for anything who doesn't have a "standard" cid phone.

edit:

thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=4704200

please post there if you have something useful to contribute

Last edited:

Jesterz

Retired Moderator
Apr 27, 2006
The rom.zip is signed, engineering one isn't going to happen any time soon I suspect...

We have the HTC 1.73.x RUU, just not the T-Mo one.

P

yup, we need a older (meaning with kernel exploit) RUU for t-mo / orange /whatever provider to be able to flash back to that when you want to root/play around.

currently a no go until we find an older RUU or a way to re-sign the rom.zip or get a s-off spl

Hero flashed without succesfull backup in Flashrec

Got it!
Like many people I could not flash a recovery image after upgrading to shipped rom 2.73, which uses hboot. "Backup rec. image" button press gave an error. Rebooting, killing apps etc. did not work.
But the maker, Zinx, has a reply on his forum (http://zenthought.org/content/project/flashrec) saying: "If your image is really invalid, you can push the hidden button to the right of the backup button to flash a recovery image without backing up."
So, I clicked on the screen next to the "backup rec. image" button, and an asterix appears next to it. Entered the name of the recovery img in the textbox and pressed "Flash rec. image".

E presto!

This probably is quite dangerous (no backup was made), so all ohne gewähr and don't try this if you are prone to bricking or sensible. But I got my patched Hero recovery image from Cyanogen back.

Edit: I have a Hero and 2.73.405.5

Last edited:

kojirovn

May 29, 2006
Got it!

But the maker, Zinx, has a reply on his forum (http://zenthought.org/content/project/flashrec) saying: "If your image is really invalid, you can push the hidden button to the right of the backup button to flash a recovery image without backing up."
So, I clicked on the screen next to the "backup rec. image" button, and an asterix appears next to it. Entered the name of the recovery img in the textbox and pressed "Flash rec. image".

I tried this method, the flash recovery button show up but when I click on it, nothing happend

jamesjiao

Oct 18, 2009
You will have noticed you can't 'fastboot boot' the recovery image again for rooting or using the new recovery image.

However:

You can use flashrec to flash the patched recovery, from where you can do all the usual stuff (and even put the old hboot back on if you want!)

Notice:
flashrec is using an exploit that isn't patched yet in the current kernel used by HTC, however if/when HTC patches this, flashrec will stop working.
So for now it's ok but a next version might have patched this, so keep this in mind !

Thanks for the original headsup by Magnus and Modaco, adapted from here

Quick Howto:

1. On your phone, goto Settings, Applications, and make sure Unknown source is checked ON.

2. On your phone, goto Settings, SD card and phone storage, and click Unmount SD card.

3. Then click Format SD card (it should automatically remount after this).

4. Plug the phone into the compuer via USB, then pull down the notification bar and click on the SD card notification. Then click mount.

5. Download this APK and recovery image and save it to your computer:
flashrec-20090815.apk
Cyanogen’s / Modaco Hero Recovery Image

Update: updated flashrec here

6. Extract the cm-hero-recovery.img out of the MoDaCoPatchedRecovery-1.0.zip and put it somewhere on your computer.

7. Save both the cm-hero-recovery.img and the flashrec-20090815.apk to your computer, then copy them both to your SD card
(do NOT put them inside any folders on the SD card, just put them in the root of the SD card itself).

8. Unplug the phone from the computer once they are downloaded to the SD card.

9. Goto the Market and download Linda File Manager or any file manager program if you do not already have one.

10. Open the file manager and goto SDCard and then find the flashrec-20090815.apk file and click on it.
If asked, tell it to use Package Installer to open it. It should automatically install the apk.

11. Open the FlashRec program and click on Backup Recovery Image and wait for it to finish.

12. Once done, click on the empty text box in the FlashRec program and type:
sdcard/cm-hero-recovery.img
Then click on the Flash Custom Recovery Image button and wait for it to finish.

13. Turn off the phone and turn it on into Recovery mode by holding down Home and Power to turn it on
(keep holding until the recovery screen comes up has a bunch of text on a black background).
As long as that screen comes up, you have done it correctly and can now go and load other ROM/hboot/whatever.

big thanks, I just done it

LazySheep

Apr 15, 2008
Worked great

I followed that guide and it turned out great :)

Thanks alot, now i have root access and hebrew fonts:D

dtobin

Jun 8, 2007
Leeds
Hi,

I managed to successfully flash my Hero a week or so ago using this thread and the Goldcard method. However, a couple of days ago it went crazy and I had to revert back to the stock T-Mobile Rom.
Now I am unable to flash again. Following this guide. I get "backup failed" when creating the backup recovery image or "Flash Failed" if I bypass this stage and try to flash cm-hero-recovery.img.
I've tried everything I can think of and really don't want to be stuck with the T-Mobile Rom!

Any ideas?

Cheers

rajesh2626

Oct 3, 2009
HTC hero ROM update required for 2.73.720.5

SIR I have performed all these Quick how to steps.
Then i tried installing a theme by rebooting the phone by pressing HOME+POWER simultaneously which gave me option to choose a zip file from my sd card. I installed the theme successfully .The phone didn't rebooted after that.
When i asked Customer support about the problem.They told me that your phone needs ROM update.
I think i need to install ROM in my HTC HERO as suggested by service center in Ludhiana. They din't had ROM updates for my phone.They suggested me to get it from online and install them.
Kindly send me Original ROM for my phone.
Build number : 2.73.720.5
IMEI number :357988022021476
S/N number :HT98XL902524
P/N number :99HHM098-00
Please help me and send me Original ROM as soon as possible. My phone is not working from few days.

Regards
Rajesh Chadha (09463411097)
rajesh2626@gmail.com
Ludhiana Punjab India

gugi_sat

Dec 1, 2004
deals4today.co.uk
Hi There

i tried doing all the steps now when i typed in :

Flasg Recovery Image buuton greyed out and i can't do any thing

i have a t-mobile G2 with latest update 2.73.110.26

please advise what to do

thank you for your support

an0therus3r

Oct 19, 2009
I was wondering why in the start post a older recovery image was used and not this one?

Now i have older recovery image and would like to upgrade to this mentioned image.

Any tips ?

furrypotato

Oct 18, 2007
Port Talbot
Hi There

i tried doing all the steps now when i typed in :

Flasg Recovery Image buuton greyed out and i can't do any thing

i have a t-mobile G2 with latest update 2.73.110.26

please advise what to do

thank you for your support

Just like me. Have you used the Goldcard method to flash the generic HTC ROM yet ? If not you'll need to do it first. Then root the phone ( http://neilandtheresa.co.uk/Android/ ) I just have and am now in the middle of flashing modaco rom back onto my phone after doing a nandroid backup.

Oh, and thanks guys !!