CM11 degradation?

Search This thread

Nolfer

Nov 23, 2013
A dirty flash is just installing a new Rom without wiping anything first. Depends on what you are flashing whether a dirty flash is OK. Usually if you are going from one CM nightly to another say CM 10.2 from yesterday to CM 10.2 from today you can get away without wiping caches. If on the other hand you want to go from CM 10.2 to Cm 11 you really should wipe caches first, same going from say CM to Carbon it is recommended to wipe first.
There are a few kernels out there but they are specific to certain Roms. There were some touch kernels for CM 10.2 but they only work on early releases not the stable. Unless you have a specific need I would't worry about flashing a new kernel.

I see. Can I install, say, a kitkat rom from a jb one (and viceversa), doing only factory reset (system, data, cache), thus without wiping datamedia?
More importantly, does wiping datamedia influence anything (configuration wise) that latches to rom or kernel? I mean, is there any information stored in the files that are wiped by "wipe datamedia" that is used by the kernel or the rom?

I'm asking this because I currently have the audio out jack kinda broken since I've tried some kk roms (delivers very bad quality audio, whereas the speaker has good quality) and I don't know what else to do. I've tried to change from kk to jb without datamedia wiping, but this didnt solve the problem, so I'm asking to know if maybe the kernel stored some bad audio quality config file there (in datamedia) and a wipe there could solve the problem.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I see. Can I install, say, a kitkat rom from a jb one (and viceversa), doing only factory reset (system, data, cache), thus without wiping datamedia?
More importantly, does wiping datamedia influence anything (configuration wise) that latches to rom or kernel? I mean, is there any information stored in the files that are wiped by "wipe datamedia" that is used by the kernel or the rom?

I'm asking this because I currently have the audio out jack kinda broken since I've tried some kk roms (delivers very bad quality audio, whereas the speaker has good quality) and I don't know what else to do. I've tried to change from kk to jb without datamedia wiping, but this didnt solve the problem, so I'm asking to know if maybe the kernel stored some bad audio quality config file there (in datamedia) and a wipe there could solve the problem.
No, datamedia has nothing to do with that. But going backwards (eg, CM11 to CM10.2) can be problematic. You may need to wipe /system manually too before you flash back to CM10.2 ROM.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: Nolfer

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
doesn't factory reset include that?
No, factory reset just formats /data and /cache. Usually the ROM installer formats /system for you, but going backwards can cause an issue with that. That is why I recommended a manual format of /system.

Reactions: Nolfer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Doesn't use Google anymore? Look, I mean I know the paid Koogle-aid dispensers will dog pile on me as a heretic, but CM on my nook is working great for me and in concert with other play stores all is well. I just don't see the need to put anymore money or information in Big GData's pocket.

Just one guys opinion, flame away
    This is rich. It used to be big M$ that folks dumped on, now Google?

Just for my future reference , what is meant by full wipe? I did a wipe data and factory reset before and went through the setup screens again but there was clearly still some stuff left, like data folders from apps previously installed.

Thanks
    A wipe data /factory reset with CWM is not really a full wipe. It leaves your media files intact. Even a format of /data in 'mounts and storage' leaves the media files. To do a full wipe you need to format 'data and datamedia'. That truly wipes all data, including media files.

While we're at it, what's a dirty flash / re flash, and how does one change kernels in a nook device? I thought kernels were always included in a rom zip as boot.img files and you could not flash a different one :eek:

A dirty flash is just installing a new Rom without wiping anything first. Depends on what you are flashing whether a dirty flash is OK. Usually if you are going from one CM nightly to another say CM 10.2 from yesterday to CM 10.2 from today you can get away without wiping caches. If on the other hand you want to go from CM 10.2 to Cm 11 you really should wipe caches first, same going from say CM to Carbon it is recommended to wipe first.
    There are a few kernels out there but they are specific to certain Roms. There were some touch kernels for CM 10.2 but they only work on early releases not the stable. Unless you have a specific need I would't worry about flashing a new kernel.

No, datamedia has nothing to do with that. But going backwards (eg, CM11 to CM10.2) can be problematic. You may need to wipe /system manually too before you flash back to CM10.2 ROM.

What do you mean by manually?
    Boot to CWM, go to mounts and storage and format /system. Do this before you flash the new ROM.